Join Early Retirement Today

Mexican Law
Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Mexican Law

There ought to be a boot camp for people moving to Mexico so they can come up to speed on the ins and outs of living there.

One thing about Mexico is they don't sue for the large ammounts that are the norm north of the border. However, Mexican Law is as different as the country from ours. Basicly Mexian Law is based on the Napolean Code, not case law as in the U.S. and G.B. Either one can be confusing as all get out and keeps the lawyers occupied. The Mexicans can keep someone in jail for thirty days before appearing before a Judge and even then they may not get out of jail.

Most Gringos are insured up the Wazoo, and know of a lawyer that can be of some aide in a crunch, if I were to live there I would get a lawyer to look over me, one that could explain things it would be worth the added expense.

There is also a thing about knowing the right person such as the Chief of Police or the Mayor or some other offical when they give you their card and present the card at the right time and place it is like a get out of jail card.
A friend of mine has such a card and keeps it with him at all times.

Most gringos don't get into trouble they live such laid back lives and employ one or two Mexicans to care for their home and contribute to the local charities. They are looked upon as a source of good things and amusment by the Mexicans who are as puzzeled by the gringo antics as the gringos are of their goings on.

Just adds to the adventure

Kitty
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
A woman well known in the Gringo community was coming home at dusk one evening and a young boy ran out into the street from between parked cars. She hit him, and the young boy suffered a severe head injury. Being the kindhearted woman she was, she stayed at the scene and waited for the police, the ambulance and the family to arrive.
Akaisha, when did this happen? Was it a long time ago? And did this woman have liability insurance for her car?

I did a road trip to Mexico (Houston - Cancun - Belize - Houston) last xmas. I bought the mexican liability insurance, and was told by the insurance agent that I would not be thrown in jail in case of an accident. Did he not tell me the truth?

Thanks,
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Sam,

I apologize for not answering sooner. I must not have gotten a notice on this thread, or it got lost in the amount of mail we get...

It happened about 10 years ago, because we were living there at the time. Actually we also had good friends who were insured and on their way to Patzquaro, hit a young boy and the boy was killed.

Insurance or not, they both were thrown in jail and it took quite a long time to sort things out.

I asked Billy -- "What is this with the hitting of children on the road?" He said many run across the roadways without concern for the traffic. I don't know if it's a lack of experience with traffic (how can that be?) or if it is a dangerous game of 'chicken' that they play...

I think what Kitty wrote above is pretty insightful...

There is a saying in Mexico: "Money talks. More money speaks louder."

What can I say?

No place is perfect, and we generally like keeping a low profile. Also, like I mentioned, we don't have a vehicle in these countries...

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 09-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the reply, Akaisha.

I did some research of my own too and the outcome matches what you describe.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

As some of you may know, there has been a lot of rain in the Lakeside area lately, with a water spout coming from the lake to San Juan Cosala. It took out a bit of the hillside and caused a good deal of damage to the Racquet Club there.

Those houses are easily $300K -- what a shame. For a look at current photos of the damage, click here:

Flickr: Photos from StevenMiller

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement