Mexico, sans expats

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anybody here done "the real Mexico" thing? I see lots of references to living in areas with a large concentration of expats. But what about the option of disappearing to some little town that doesn't have that large "crutch" community? You know, someplace where they are just discovering indoor plumbing and electricity. Not someplace without it, but not someplace that has a Super Wal-Mart either.

Has anybody here done "the real Mexico" thing? I see lots of references to living in areas with a large concentration of expats. But what about the option of disappearing to some little town that doesn't have that large "crutch" community? You know, someplace where they are just discovering indoor plumbing and electricity. Not someplace without it, but not someplace that has a Super Wal-Mart either.

If you poke around Tioga George's site, he spends most of every winter in a little town in southern Baja, well away from tourist hants. Seems like an inexpensive, sunny, pleasant place. How is your spanish?

If you poke around Tioga George's site, he spends most of every winter in a little town in southern Baja, well away from tourist hants. Seems like an inexpensive, sunny, pleasant place. How is your spanish?

Mi espanol es la lingua de los ninos. Address for Tioga George's site?

But what about the option of disappearing to some little town that doesn't have that large "crutch" community? You know, someplace where they are just discovering indoor plumbing and electricity. Not someplace without it, but not someplace that has a Super Wal-Mart either.
You don't have to leave the United States to find American places like that...

Nords, here in the "Endless Mountains" region of PA I am within 40 miles of NOT ONE, but FOUR Super Wal-Marts, with a 5th one in the planning only 10 miles away. Personally, I prefer small local stores whenever possible. No, I don't believe Wal-Mart is bringing on the demise of the world.:rant: I just like dealing with local business people who know their customers by name.:D Cheaper is not always better.

I just like dealing with local business people who know their customers by name.:D Cheaper is not always better.

Me too! It's nice when I'm out just goofing off (which is very often) to stop in one of the local shops and 'chew the fat' for a little while, and catch up on the latest 'news'. It's almost like 'Mayberry' around here in town! Nice! :D

I am interested in Equador. Just bought a small condo
in Coste Rica. Done 20 years of vacations in Asia.
Looks like retirement in about 30 days at 51.
No debt, no wife and some decent investments.
More than 10 years of working 7 days a week 18 hours a day.
Had several 2 month breaks during these years which I spent in
Asia, mainly Thailand. Have small Toyota RV like new condition.
What to hell am I going to do! Looks like a budget of around 60K
a year. Have a homestead in Florida ( parents house I bought some years ago). House for sale in Tennessee that I am looking to sell even though I think it is just to nice of an area.
I am sitting here at work completely lost where to start or which direction to go. I had a goal of 1.8 mil retirement funds but looks like work will end a few hundred grand short.
No health insurance and a long time smoker.
Can't get insurance until I leave the dangerous area where I work.
Any Ideas for fun travel and adventure.

Looks like Mexico may be getting a few vanloads of expats:
Expect exodus of broke retirees | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Scott Burns: Columns 2007

He mentions places north of PV - that would be San Pancho and Rincon de Guayabitos, and also south of Manzanillio (never been there)

Keith,

The article describes people who head south or to another country to make ends meet in retirement.

You seem to be doing fairly well. If you do not mind sharing the info... What made you and your DW decide to make a permanent move... or are you still snowbirding it?

By the way PV is nice. We have been there a couple of times on vacation. Nice mix of mountains and ocean.

Keith,

The article describes people who head south or to another country to make ends meet in retirement.

You seem to be doing fairly well. If you do not mind sharing the info... What made you and your DW decide to make a permanent move... or are you still snowbirding it?

By the way PV is nice. We have been there a couple of times on vacation. Nice mix of mountains and ocean.
The move to Mexico is a lifestyle choice. We will keep our place in Vancouver for now and spend 2-4 months each summer. Spring and fall we'll travel outside North America. If we give up our place in Vancouver, we will still spend time there in the summer.

Our Vancouver Penthouse

The mountains and ocean are similar to Vancouver, and the rain and humidity in the summer may be more tolerable than the rain and cold in the winter in Vancouver. We'll see.:cool:

I got to know a real Mexico, living for several years in Mexico City. Its probably not the one you're looking for.

My wife and I intend to get a home in Latin America, most likely Mexico, for retirement. In fact we're going over xmas/new years to scout out a few towns (Guanajuato, Queretaro, and Morelia).

We are also looking for a place without a substantial expat community. Some would be ok, but not so much that they've had a large effect on the culture like SMA. Also for us the 'type' of expats is key. People who go to Latin America looking for a cheaper Arkansas or Florida are not really 'our people'. People who go down to immerse themselves in the culture and language very much are.

How about Ecuador or Chile? Chile was beautiful and is a bit less third world than either Mexico or Ecuador - we priced it out and for about $35K a year, you could live very well - maid, eat out, travel, nice penthouse with lots of rooms - snow skiing and hiking, beach. Now, like all places you could spend a lot more, but you would definitely be very comfortable for $35K or even less if you were willing to go down on the apartment costs.

How about Ecuador or Chile? Chile was beautiful and is a bit less third world than either Mexico or Ecuador - we priced it out and for about $35K a year, you could live very well - maid, eat out, travel, nice penthouse with lots of rooms - snow skiing and hiking, beach. Now, like all places you could spend a lot more, but you would definitely be very comfortable for $35K or even less if you were willing to go down on the apartment costs.

I would say that Ecuador is a a country of questionable long term stability. Of course, so might be the USA. As for Chile, a much better governement and economic basis, but a long way from the US.

Ha

I'd recommend the book "Choose Mexico for Retirement" -- it is a good guide for retiring or just traveling there. Probably in any latin american country, you can find what you want, from a tin shack and tortillas on up, in terms of budget. Mexico has the advantage of being a short (or long) drive or (usually) a short flight to the USA. You needn't know a lot of Spanish, but of course it helps. If you were going to stay in one place long term, even seasonally, I'd bet you could make friends at the local university (if any) who'd love to practice their Ingles on you .. this has been the case in my travels.

I must have decent price golf courses and weather without snow.
Ecuador has this from what I have read. Some singles life style
wouldn't hurt also. I can make do with most, been in developing countries many years and locals without an attitude would be nice too.
I don't mind to pay a bit more for a less crime ridden area which
is as important as the golf. Golf is one thing I enjoy to do and have not been able to do much of it in the last 20 years.

Last edited:
The nearest Walmart to my wife's home town is 37 miles away. And houses go for 20K or so.

My guess is that most people wouldn't last more than a few months in a third world community that doesn't speak English. It's not just the economics, it's the sense of isolation and the difficulty in fitting in. Heck, I speak Spanish fluently and even I have a hard time with some of these places. Closest I can think of, go to some poor small-town community in the US, say in Appalachia, and pretend you don't speak English.

Closest I can think of, go to some poor small-town community in the US, say in Appalachia, and pretend you don't speak English.

In fact, most English speakers would get a belly full of Appalachia in less than 2 weeks.

I had some good male friends, working class Mexicans from small Sonoran villages. I went down there occasionally to go hunting with them. Plus I had work that took me to bush places in the Andes. You really would have to experience it to know what I am talking about.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone; especially I don't think any woman is likely to have a good time.:(

Ha

My guess is that most people wouldn't last more than a few months in a third world community that doesn't speak English. It's not just the economics, it's the sense of isolation and the difficulty in fitting in. Heck, I speak Spanish fluently and even I have a hard time with some of these places. Closest I can think of, go to some poor small-town community in the US, say in Appalachia, and pretend you don't speak English.

This is a very good observation. (and this coming from a guy who lived in Mexico for 2.5 years and in Brazil for one year)

I think the 'small town' would be very difficult. I think moving to a mid-sized or even large city is an entirely different thing, however.

I still agree its not for most people - I know I would enjoy it, though, and I think my wife would have a good chance of enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom