Join Early Retirement Today
Microsoft outlook question?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Microsoft outlook question?

I have a Hotmail account that over time it change to an Microsoft outlook account.

I just got this E-mail and want to see if any one else got a similar Email before I click on the link!

Dear Outlook User,

This is to inform you for the final time that on 8th april 2016, Microsoft Outlook will discontinue support on your account and security.

If you choose not to renew your account on or before 8th april 2016, your email will be blocked and you will not be able to read and send emails from the 8th of April 2016, and you will no longer have access to your email and many of the latest features for improved, conversations, contacts and attachments.

Take a minute to renew your account for a faster, safer and full-featured Microsoft Outlook experience.

[Link deleted by moderator for safety]

Thanks for using Microsoft service

Hotmail Member Service .

HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Go to manually (not via a link in the email). Login and see if they want some additional info like an alternate method to handle security problems. More than likely they want you to opt in or out of something. If they don't ask you to do something as soon as you log in, the email might have been a hoax or a phishing attempt.

Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
If you click on the URL in that email, what it actually does is display a page that looks exactly like the login page. However, if you enter your login and password there, it will send them to [Phishing link removed by moderator]. I presume that page will then forward you on to the actual domain after recording your info somewhere.

Hopefully it's obvious that this is a very bad thing. It's a fishing attack. Do not give them your info.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks for the replies, I did not click on the link!!
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Generally if the email is addressed to "user" "customer" "member" or some other generic term, it is not form the real source. A real source knows your name. Of course this does not mean the real source was hacked, but in your case here the "Dear Outlook User" is dead giveaway it is phishing attack.
I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
Totally a phishing spam. Anything like it is usually trying to steal your info.
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
The phishing link should be removed asap.

target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote