Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A few days ago one these morons called me. I yelled to the caller that they were a bunch of scammers and hung up on them. They called me back 3 or 4 times and each time I yelled at them some more without bothering to listen to anything they said. On the last call I just answered the phone and stayed silent for a few seconds before hanging up. No more calls since then but it is still too soon to tell. Felt good to yell at them, though.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
I talked to them for awhile and the told them how confused I was that they were aware of all these problems since I don't have internet (of course I do but this was a phone call right?). He literally said "are you kidding me?" I said no but kept on about how much I appreciated him pointing out all the errors on my machine. He told me to call him back when I got connected to the internet. Again, I told him I'm retired and don't have internet - too expensive for a fixed income. He finally had enough and hung up.

There's a good youtube video on this where the person recorded the scam and what they do. Basically, they remote into your machine in order for you to purchase some software that is purported to fix everything. When the person realized that he was being played with, he started deleting files on the machine. So sad that this is what people do with their time. More sad because it must work often enough to be worth it.

Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote