Join Early Retirement Today

Microsoft Scam
Old 03-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Microsoft Scam

I just got off the phone with a “representative from Microsoft”. She said she has been getting errors from my machine. I told her she was a scammer, and almost hung up. She gave me a Microsoft phone number and an employee ID.

She wanted to ‘prove’ she had my ‘personal’ machine information, so I gave her a shot.

She explained how to bring up a command window (cmd) and type ‘assoc’ in the window. One of the last lines in the result set is this. She verified my machine with the parameter and number below.
.ZFSendToTarget=CLSID\{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}

Then she said to being up the Event Viewer (eventvwr). There were a lot of error and she was going to help me get rid of them.

Since I have two PC’s up at the same time, I did the same commands on the other box. It has the same ZFSendToTarget value.

I told her she was a scammer and put her on hold. She eventually hung up. Be careful for this scam. It almost appears to be legit, except Microsoft would likely never call.

Do you have the same ZFSendToTarget value?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

No errors on eventvwr but the other stuff was --EXACTLY--as in yours. ZFSendToTarget=CLSID\{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
No errors on eventvwr...
It may take a while to populate the report. It's under "Custom Views" and Administrative Events.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

If they called me, I would have had a little fun with them.

that's an old scheme
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scam all the way. Especially since she did the cold calling.

I'm sure the CMD and fake id number was to gain your trust.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

We used to get these calls all the time and we only have Apple machines. Used to confuse the scammers when I told them that.
clfdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

They use the event viewer to scare people. Every computer has lots of problem 'events'. The operating system deals with them and moves on. It's purely a scare tactic, sort of like those people who tell you that a certain food contains dihydrogen monoxide. That's water.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #8

I might buy one of these answering bots, just for fun.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
They use the event viewer to scare people. Every computer has lots of problem 'events'. The operating system deals with them and moves on. It's purely a scare tactic, sort of like those people who tell you that a certain food contains dihydrogen monoxide. That's water.
Yes, every computer has errors, even Macs. This is a new angle I haven't heard before. Very clever.

And Chuckanut, be careful that that DHMO! Thousands of people die from this colorless, oderless and dangerous chemical every year. Be careful! Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Yes all windows users do. It is an old scam

The command "assoc" just list the file associations on the computer.

The zsendtotarget is part of zip implementation in windows to send files to a compressed folder. It shows up in your "send to" menu. They probably pick that because it is usually the last one listed and easy to see

command lines is scary
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Be careful "Having fun" with the scammer. I tried that and was then harassed with repeated phone calls for the next week. At one point I tried a bit of levity with my new 'friend' and was told in a pleasant Indian accent..."I am not your friend. I am your enemy". He eventually got bored.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
kyzymurgist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #12

I tell them in a monotonous voice 'your call is recorded and forwarded to the police fraud dept.'
They hang up quickly.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I had this happen to me about 7 years ago. They are VERY convincing. Fortunately I told them I was unable to get to that computer and would have to call them back. I then called a friend who talked me down. I was having some issues which made it more believable. I was in IT and typically don't fall for scammers, but they were good. I reported it to our on site microsoft rep who had not heard of it before and reported up the chain.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Last time I got a call from "Tech Support" I told them in a confused tone that I didn't own a computer. That got them off the line fast!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Last time I got a call from "Tech Support" I told them in a confused tone that I didn't own a computer. That got them off the line fast!

I got a call from ATT trying to sell me upgraded service. I told them that I didn't have a phone.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just got off the phone with a “representative from Microsoft”. She said she has been getting errors from my machine. I told her she was a scammer, and almost hung up. She gave me a Microsoft phone number and an employee ID.
What 'Microsoft phone number' did she give? One on a Microsoft website (that anyone could provide)? Did you hang up and call her back on an official Microsoft number?

What did you do with her 'employee ID'? How would you have any idea if that was legit?

Quote:
.ZFSendToTarget=CLSID\{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}

Well, most everyone here does:

I received a call from someone claiming to be Microsoft. - Microsoft Community

Did you really think for one instant this was not a scam?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
... I was in IT and typically don't fall for scammers, but they were good. ...
Please explain how any cold call about computer problems could be convincing? Isn't that just a red, red, red flag that it is a scam?

Has anyone ever heard of Microsoft just calling people, unsolicited, to help with some specific computer problem?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....Do you have the same ZFSendToTarget value?
Yes, and please stop using my computer.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
I tell them in a monotonous voice 'your call is recorded and forwarded to the police fraud dept.'
They hang up quickly.
Though I don't talk to the scammers, I hear the "What are you wearing?" line gets them to hang up too .
Old 03-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of Microsoft just calling people, unsolicited, to help with some specific computer problem?

-ERD50
In my case, they claimed to be a company that Microsoft hired to fix these problems. I was told that my computer had a virus that was sending out some kind of data and my computer would be blocked if it was not fixed (after 7 years some of the details are a bit fuzzy).

while I am used to dealing with scammers through email, getting a personal phone call is a little unnerving in itself. If I recall correctly, they were very persistent and had an urgent tone that the problem must be fixed immediately. When hit cold and out of the blue, you need to make a quick decision whether it is real or not. In hindsight this is an old well known scam, so it is easier to make a call.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote