Join Early Retirement Today

Millennial Coffee Habits
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Millennial Coffee Habits

Spent some time with my niece recently as she just had a baby and needed some help with her.

She instructed me on the finer points of 'cold brew' coffee, She wouldn't drink the stuff I brewed in the auto drip pot. She explained that you had to grind the beans up (rather coarsely) and put them in the $30 + (some go for $100's) glass drip system for 2 days in the fridge.

I said how about I just put my coffee in your cup over ice and add some cream, she would rather go 20 minutes away to get it (with no real assurance that they weren't doing the same thing I would do). Finally the second day she acquiesced and tried it my old fartsy way. "Not too bad', she said. Hmmmm, really does the coffee know the difference between 2 day cold brew in the fridge and 5 year old Mr Coffee hot brew?

Then I go to her house and she has no coffee cups, just the 'trail' type cups with lids. I asked her if she had any cups, 'oh, ya, we got those with our wedding china but put them in a box in the garage cause we never use them'

Drive 20 minutes each way to pay $5 for a cold brew cup of coffee. What?!?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Brew.jpg (34.7 KB, 106 views)

Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So...um, is this thread about their coffee habits, or their inability to reason?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
So...um, is this thread about their coffee habits, or their inability to reason?
Yes
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Most threads end up with sub topics. This one just gives it to you right out of the gate.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I can tell you this isn't just a millennial problem. I have seen PLENTY of folks of my generation (Gen X) and a little older sitting very long Starbucks drive through lines. And in my recent (past 3 years) experience of spending a lot of time of 23-25 year olds...their coffee choice was overwhelmingly the cheap, nasty stuff that was available for free in the student lounge.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
Administrator

I drink only kopi luwak coffee made with fresh glacial meltwater from Antarctica. I am so hip I almost can't stand myself.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If people can afford to pay $5/day and dont mind driving 20 minutes for coffee...whats the problem? Just playing devils advocate.

I use a cheap drip coffee maker...coffee tastes good to me. I do like iced coffee so I should probably try the cold brew stuff.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
If people can afford to pay $5/day and dont mind driving 20 minutes for coffee...whats the problem? Just playing devils advocate.

I use a cheap drip coffee maker...coffee tastes good to me. I do like iced coffee so I should probably try the cold brew stuff.
I am not a big fan of cold coffee, but I would have to guess that there is indeed a flavor difference...just the manner of processing/brewing it is enough to have significant flavor changes.

Personally, I am a pretty big fan of the Kroger-brand "Morning Blend". But I think a lot of people like it because when the Kroger brands go on sale, it's the first type to sell out.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #9

Drinking anything through a tiny hole in the lid of a covered cup prevents one from fully tasting whatever the beverage is due to the lack of the aroma components. Taste and smell go together. So I have a hard time believing that people who drink their Charbuck's from a to-go cup really could be credible coffee snobs. Not a criticism if that's what you like, just don't tell me you're a connoisseur and turn up your nose at everything else.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I drink only kopi luwak coffee
Meh. I tried it once - tastes like sh!t.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I’m inventing the next step for people who like it hot—cold-brewed coffee that has been gently brought to a warm temperature with sunbeams. While chanting inspirational life quotes that may or may not have been written by Kurt Vonnegut or Andy Rooney.

When DH gets over-involved in gastronomic details at a restaurant, I like to remind him about what that beverage or meal will be in about 24 hours or less. Really it’s just fuel. Keeps things in perspective for him.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
When DH gets over-involved in gastronomic details at a restaurant, I like to remind him about what that beverage or meal will be in about 24 hours or less. Really it’s just fuel. Keeps things in perspective for him.
I like it. We have watched so many of these "fusion" or "farm to table" or "some other catchy phrase" restaurants come and go around these parts. They tend to last about 6 months before they flop. But, "Judy's Country Buffet" has been around for at least 30 years and ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Before criticizing or making fun of millennials, maybe we should first be reminded about which generation linoleumed over all of those beautiful hardwood floors.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I am NOT going to ask how you validated the comparison.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

As someone who has been primarily drinking iced coffee for more than the last 25+ years, I will tell you there is definitely a difference in taste between cold brewed and hot brewed coffee over ice.

This is the cold brew maker I use: OXO Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker
ChiliPepr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #16

All I know is we love our Nespresso machine! I make double espresso lattes and pour them over ice. Works for me!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I drink only kopi luwak coffee made with fresh glacial meltwater from Antarctica. I am so hip I almost can't stand myself.

You are missing the obligatory pic. That will upgrade your status to ultra hip.

2020 or bust!
Or
Perhaps 2021...2022...NVM
Lukeee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeee View Post
You are missing the obligatory pic. That will upgrade your status to ultra hip.
C'mon man! You're talking to Gumby!! It's Gumby!

He's been ultra hip since the 50s!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Younger generations would probably freak if they heard that I just finished a big mug of double strength Maxwell House instant coffee just now and totally enjoyed every last drop of it.

I really do not like Starbucks coffee, though. It's even worse than instant, and so expensive. My daughter (age 39 so I guess Gen X?) loves Starbucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes, you know exactly what kopi luwak coffee really is! Me too and I find it pretty unappealing.
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Before criticizing or making fun of millennials, maybe we should first be reminded about which generation linoleumed over all of those beautiful hardwood floors.
And then the next vinyled over the linoleum.

This conversation is an interruption to my painting gray over those ugly naturally stained maple cabinets. Back to work...

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote