Mississippi river cruise?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BIL and SIL are asking us to join them on an American Cruise Line river cruise. The info we have is about their upper Mississippi cruise. Anyone experience one of the river cruises? Any suggestions other than this cruise line or cruise theme? Thanks in advance for any tips...

Mississippi River Cruise

I'd rather spend the money either taking a cruise around the Med to the Greek Islands or a Scandinavian cruise that goes to St. Petersburg.

River cruises move a little too slow for me anyway. And they're not nearly as well priced as carefully chosen ocean cruises.

We have looked at them, but decided not to for a few reasons.

They are pricey for what you get.
There isn't much in the Upper Miss compared to all the history in the lower Miss.
Water levels are a concern for the Upper, as is timing (temperature).

But if it's affordable and all you want is to watch some nice scenery roll by, then it could be a great way to relax for a while.

The lower Mississippi River meanders greatly. For every mile you travel south, you have to travel 2 miles on the river. There are very few cities of any interests below Helena, AR, 60 miles below Memphis other than Natchez which is neat.

The river is 25.86 feet right now or about 5' below flood stage. They expect the river will max. out just under flood stage 1/10/2019--but close.

I'd rather spend the money either taking a cruise around the Med to the Greek Islands or a Scandinavian cruise that goes to St. Petersburg.

River cruises move a little too slow for me anyway. And they're not nearly as well priced as carefully chosen ocean cruises.

Very big difference between a River Cruise and an Ocean cruise. Slower pace but also a lot fewer people. Less of a cattle herd. I’ve never done an American river cruise but we’ve done European River cruises and they are delightful.

Very big difference between a River Cruise and an Ocean cruise. .

DW and I are looking at Mississippi River cruises. We love the Mississippi, Ohio and others, frequently camp at Army Corps campgrounds on the rivers, near locks and dams, and love visiting smaller river towns like Savannah, Illinois and Madison, Indiana.

As someone mentioned above, the river cruises do seem pricey and we're struggling to justify the expenditure vs. other travel opportunities. OTOH, they seem busy, frequently sold out, and therefore must not be charging more than the public considers a reasonable value.

We're also looking at small boat Alaskan cruises.

We have zero interest in MegaBoat ocean cruising. I see that many folks do like these (thus the city-size ships), but that's not for us.

Last edited:
My mom and sister did a riverboat cruise on the Delta Queen with Arlo Guthrie back in the 70s. I think I posted about that here a while ago. They loved it.

My mom and sister did a riverboat cruise on the Delta Queen with Arlo Guthrie back in the 70s. I think I posted about that here a while ago. They loved it.

If Arlo did another one today, I would be all over that!

You can rent a houseboat for four on the Upper Mississippi for about a grand a week and set your own itinerary.

You can rent a houseboat for four on the Upper Mississippi for about a grand a week and set your own itinerary.

Well, you could but........

I think you're pretty low with the $1k/week price tag (unless you meant $1k each).

It requires a lot of planning. You can't just pull up to any dock in any town and expect to find a mooring waiting for you. And you're on your own to find transportation from the dock to the restaurants and attractions you wish to visit. Etc.

This would be for outdoorsy types who enjoy a rough and tumble adventure such as tying off to the shore or an island for the night and partying with a campfire on the beach.

There would be lots to learn about navigating, passing through locks, running the boat through the gauntlet of barge traffic and all that. I'd love to give it a try myself, but don't know if OP would enjoy that sort of thing.

DW and I plus our teenage son and another couple rented a houseboat on Lake of the Woods for a week years ago. It was a blast. And the fishing was great! But I think cruising a busy river might be a bit more challenging to do safely than cruising a big lake.

If Arlo did another one today, I would be all over that!

Me too. BUT - I did get to see him with his daughter and son in Durham a couple of years ago. Sister was present. He was really really good, everyone left the place with a smile, a song, and a story or three.

Youbet, maybe you'd enjoy this: Wanderer Houseboat Rentals |

Alma is on Lake Pepin, a pretty wide spot in the river. And the barge traffic isn't as heavy as you might see down south.

Yeah, I was a little low @ $1000/week. But $1575 in the shoulder season is not that much more.

Back
Top Bottom