Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Gee whiz - that raises the question of what your financial possibilities might be if you and Frank just went ahead and tied the knot. You seem like a pretty good team. Then you would only have to buy and maintain one house, maybe even one that is big enough for you each to have your own spaces. Plus you'd get the not-insignificant benefit of being able to file a joint tax return. And HA would no longer be able to refer to Frank, as your "faithful paramour".
ROFL!!! We really ARE a good team. But I don't think we'd be as good a team as husband and wife. We have both BTDT (I'm divorced, and he is a widower and former care-giver), and would rather not go through that again. But thanks for the idea.

We really do prefer living separately, even if it does cost a little more. It's one of life's nicest luxuries. This is something that is important enough to both of us that we discussed it on our first date.

And, I think "faithful paramour" sounds kind of cool, personally.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in the same mode of looking for where to retire. Living in Houston I am well schooled on the oppressive Texas property taxes. There also aren't too many places in the state that appeal to me.

Missouri is on the short list. We liked Branson which is close to Springfield. Springfield just didn't seem that great a place to us. We may stumble through Joplin at some point. We're also considering Hot Springs, Feyetteville, and Tulsa. We're going to take long weekend trips to these and other spots. Our location limitation is to be within a one day drive of Houston since two of our three kids live here.

I'm also wanting to be around more open space with more outdoor activities.

Since our timeline is really determined by when my FIL dies, I'm not in any rush to decide.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I'm in the same mode of looking for where to retire. Living in Houston I am well schooled on the oppressive Texas property taxes. There also aren't too many places in the state that appeal to me.

Missouri is on the short list. We liked Branson which is close to Springfield. Springfield just didn't seem that great a place to us. We may stumble through Joplin at some point. We're also considering Hot Springs, Feyetteville, and Tulsa. We're going to take long weekend trips to these and other spots. Our location limitation is to be within a one day drive of Houston since two of our three kids live here.

I'm also wanting to be around more open space with more outdoor activities.

Since our timeline is really determined by when my FIL dies, I'm not in any rush to decide.
We haven't been to Joplin, but have heard (on city-data.com) that it is kind of an armpit. Or, perhaps I should rephrase that as, a preference for Joplin is a bit eclectic. We don't like much of what Branson has to offer in the way of entertainment, though we haven't been there yet either. We considered Hot Springs, and visited it, and it isn't entirely off our list. Fayetteville has the appeal of having the University there, though we haven't visited it yet. Tulsa is surprisingly close to Springfield - - 2.5 hours by freeway.

We like Springfield because it is a walkable town, and very peaceful. It is certainly not a cosmopolitan type of place, but it feels right to us for some reason. It might be too far north for a comfortable drive from Houston - - I don't know! It is 11.5 hours from New Orleans, which is just too much for us to do in one day. So, we usually stop at Jonesboro for the night.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It could be a virtual wedding. I'm picturing an old fashioned kind of house in Springfield with nice roses in front and a veranda.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
It could be a virtual wedding. I'm picturing an old fashioned kind of house in Springfield with nice roses in front and a veranda.
Well, but why would we need to marry to live in Springfield? We both have enough money to live there separately, already, and we really prefer living separately. I really think that marriage is often a financial arrangement, anyway, cynic that I am. I think people want me to marry so that we can afford to live someplace that is considered to be more conventionally desirable, like Seattle or Monterey, back in Hawaii, or Paris.

Here's a better idea: you can all come to a virtual house-warming if/when we buy houses in Springfield. We can post photos online and you can drink an imaginary cup of tea, imagining sitting in my sunroom at my house or in Frank's workshop over at his house.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Springfield sounds so antithetical to NOLA that I wondered there wasn't a very natural element of over-compensation to what must have been a deeply unsettling trauma named Katrina (armchair psychologist here ).
Doc, you're suggesting she going from the Big Easy to the Small Hard? Or did I misunderstand you?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Doc, you're suggesting she going from the Big Easy to the Small Hard? Or did I misunderstand you?

... too easy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

I have also lived in Meridian, MS back in the 1970's, which was a real eye-opener directly after Honolulu.
I doubt if Tupelo, MS would fit the bill. It's only 140 miles north of your eye-opening experience.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I doubt if Tupelo, MS would fit the bill. It's only 140 miles north of your eye-opening experience.
I know. Sorry if I offended, but that was 33 years ago and in some ways it was very different from Honolulu at that time (and probably closer to the "Real America" to which Rich was referring to, and I guess thinking that I was seeking to make acquaintance with). I really do believe that times have changed in Meridian (or else I have changed), but maybe not in Tupelo. According to Census 2000, Tupelo has a population of 34K (MUCH smaller than we were considering). Honestly, I don't see any huge advantages to Tupelo as an ER destination for the two of us, in comparison with Springfield.

In general, I am pretty sure that we have found the right small town for us given the criteria that I listed above. But nothing is final until it is final, for anyone.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Want2Retire

I grew up in New Orleans during the 50's and moved away for the last time in 1977. You are making a wise decision to leave. The crime rate has been high forever and is getting worse according to what I read.
Couple the crime with a dysfunctional local government and you have a
not so nice retirement area.

Have you considered Fayettville, AR or Huntsville? I have heard good things about both cities.

2soon2tell
Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #31

Its really nice here in southern wake county near Raleigh NC. Not too far from Chapel hill and Durham. Lots of stuff to do beaches 2 hrs away mtns 3 hours away. It works. Weather is good.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Honestly, I don't see any huge advantages to Tupelo as an ER destination for the two of us, in comparison with Springfield.
You could be called "The Tupelo Honey"?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I have spent the last several years traveling, with an eye toward finding the perfect place to settle down. I'm convienced that it doesn't exist. There are places where we love to spend summers and other places where we like winters. Before we retired, we used to think we would settle in a cabin in the mountains. Well, it's too cold to stay there all year. I think work caused us to lust after the peace and quiet of a mountain cabin. Having had lots of time to reconsider, we decided we like the community of a city, maybe within walking distance to the store, library, gym, etc. We ruled TX out because of the misery index (for non-Texans, that's the combination of heat and humidity). Actually, we ruled out any where in "tornado alley", having spent most of our lives there! Southern AZ is great in the winter, but too hot in the summer. Guess we are just really picky people...or maybe we are just not ready to settle down yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to take my hat off to you for having your ducks in a row (mainly, at least) before you even retire. We've been looking for 12 years now and still can't decide!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
Want2Retire

I grew up in New Orleans during the 50's and moved away for the last time in 1977. You are making a wise decision to leave. The crime rate has been high forever and is getting worse according to what I read.
Couple the crime with a dysfunctional local government and you have a
not so nice retirement area.

Have you considered Fayettville, AR or Huntsville? I have heard good things about both cities.

2soon2tell
Like Frank, you probably feel that that you didn't leave New Orleans... the New Orleans you grew up in left you. I never knew that New Orleans other than as a tourist, but the shadows of it are everywhere. As far as crime goes, it is many times worse since the storm, and nobody sane feels comfortable with that. Also, there is the "Sword of Damocles" effect of knowing that the canals/levees/pumps system is so badly damaged and not anywhere near repaired. Then the politicians are not helping. Oh, you forgot to mention Edwin Edwards' wonderful legacy with the nursing home situation here. Plus, living here is still hard for older people.

Yes, have considered both Fayetteville and Huntsville (see prior posts in this thread). Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Its really nice here in southern wake county near Raleigh NC. Not too far from Chapel hill and Durham. Lots of stuff to do beaches 2 hrs away mtns 3 hours away. It works. Weather is good.
See post #11, this thread, criterion #1. Too close to the Atlantic for us. But thanks anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You could be called "The Tupelo Honey"?
Hmm! Nah, not worth it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #35

[quote=Want2retire;620205

See post #11, this thread, criterion #1. Too close to the Atlantic for us. But thanks anyway!

Chapel Hill is 165 miles to the atlantic coast, head a bit further west to greensboro and you are at 200 miles.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
DH and I have spent the last several years traveling, with an eye toward finding the perfect place to settle down. I'm convienced that it doesn't exist.
Oh my, I would definitely say you are right about that. It always surprises me when people think one place or another is perfect. All places have their plusses and minuses, which each of us needs to evaluate within our own framework of selection criteria.

Quote:
Guess we are just really picky people...or maybe we are just not ready to settle down yet.
Could it be that you are meant to be an RV'er, perhaps? Then you wouldn't have to choose and settle down anywhere yet.

Quote:
Anyway, I just wanted to take my hat off to you for having your ducks in a row (mainly, at least) before you even retire. We've been looking for 12 years now and still can't decide!
Thanks. We don't feel we have much choice. Katrina was sort of a boot in the rear and forced us to at least start thinking about where we might be able to enjoy a reasonably peaceful, relatively safe retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:

Chapel Hill is 165 miles to the atlantic coast, head a bit further west to greensboro and you are at 200 miles.
Now that I am at home with Streets and Trips, I can provide better numbers and can tell you that Huntsville is about 300 miles from the coast. That is the closest to the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico that we care to consider.

Southern Wake county near Raleigh, which was your suggestion, is about 100-125 miles from the coast. That is not acceptable to us.

The other towns you just suggested do not meet our criteria either (listed in post #11). Neither does Asheville, which you hadn't got to, yet, but which people often suggest.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Now that I am at home with Streets and Trips, I can provide better numbers and can tell you that Huntsville is about 300 miles from the coast. That is the closest to the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico that we care to consider.

Southern Wake county near Raleigh, which was your suggestion, is about 100-125 miles from the coast. That is not acceptable to us.

The other towns you just suggested do not meet our criteria either (listed in post #11). Neither does Asheville, which you hadn't got to, yet, but which people often suggest.
Tornados scare the begeezus out of me, Huntsville is in that area no?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Tornados scare the begeezus out of me, Huntsville is in that area no?
You are STILL not bothering to read post #11, criterion #1. Check it out! No need to repeat the same old stuff over and over. Also check the thread for the discussion on Huntsville. Do you know how to find the post numbers on a thread? Look on the upper right corner of the post, and on the blue bar you will see a #39 for this post. See? You learned something.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DH and I have spent the last several years traveling, with an eye toward finding the perfect place to settle down. I'm convienced that it doesn't exist. There are places where we love to spend summers and other places where we like winters. Before we retired, we used to think we would settle in a cabin in the mountains. Well, it's too cold to stay there all year. I think work caused us to lust after the peace and quiet of a mountain cabin. Having had lots of time to reconsider, we decided we like the community of a city, maybe within walking distance to the store, library, gym, etc. We ruled TX out because of the misery index (for non-Texans, that's the combination of heat and humidity). Actually, we ruled out any where in "tornado alley", having spent most of our lives there! Southern AZ is great in the winter, but too hot in the summer. Guess we are just really picky people...or maybe we are just not ready to settle down yet.
Wise counsel. Makes RVing sound even better (especially, for us at least, with a home base some place you like in season).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote