Join Early Retirement Today

Modular home in Virginia?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Modular home in Virginia?

DW Bookworm and I currently living in central Mississippi are contemplating on our ER and destination which should happen in 20 months or so. To be close enough to grandkids in NYC/NJ and my aging mom in DC we figured that somewhere along the Interstate 81 corridor in Virginia just might be far enough away from the crazy DC salaries and real estate to be affordable yet accessable to family by car. We reconoitered Stuarts Draft, Waynesboro, Lurray etc (all very nice!) but we found that a modest fairly new 1500+ sf house in a subdivision to be on the North side of $200K. Garages were either singles or non existant. The lots were small. We are trying to limit our house purchase to $200K to avoid a mortgage.

I came up with the brilliant idea of purchasing 2-3 acres in the country and erecting a 1500 sf modular home on it. We could probably do it for $200K and throw in a my dream pole barn garage to boot.

I am looking for advice from anyone with experience with modular homes, particularly in a rural setting. I am sure there are things I should consider other than water, sewage, power and internet access.

Thanks much!
CaptCurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Modular home in Virginia?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

hey capt, i got the same feelings for a longest time. modular home r built much fasster, cheaper and with precise calculation. another words u don't see a piece of wood 3/4" too short or 1/2" too long. currently we are living in a 15 yrs old home and believe me i see some unbelievalbe mistake around. for ex. missing insulation, sloppy plumbing... i checked out one modular home that my collegue bought and love it. just like buying IKEA's furniture, everything is prebuilt and not even 1 single nail is missing. u can always upgrade the windows. cabinet, bathroom like a regular home. check out a few website and u'll be impress.

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Curmudgeon

I came up with the brilliant idea of purchasing 2-3 acres in the country and erecting a 1500 sf modular home on it. We could probably do it for $200K and throw in a my dream pole barn garage to boot.
FYI:
The entire Shenandoah valley is booming or on the verge. Development pressures are growing as folks like you identify it as a good retirement pplace or even people moving from NOVA & comuting(!!) to DC. You might be shocked at some of the land prices, & later disappointed that the idyllic place you have moved to is later consumed by dreck developmenmts & malls. All very sad.

East of the Blue Ridge is the same or worse; those interested in the Charlottesville area need to prepare themselves for very high RE prices, & development is a problem that local gov's are trying to contain & manage - for better or worse.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, maybe take a look at a few spots in PA, too?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Make sure you check out regulations concerning manuf. homes, permits and cost of getting water and electricity to property.
I was talking to a friend that is a builder and he mentioned having to pay $35,000 to have a water meter put in on a property he was developing.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Curmudgeon
DW Bookworm and I currently living in central Mississippi are contemplating on our ER and destination which should happen in 20 months or so.
Interesting. I am from east central MS. Why not buy an RV and live up there during the warm weather months and come back here during the winters?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Roger that about the Shenandoah booming. Talking to DW last night and we may have to set our sights a little bit further South along I-81. I met a guy today from Abington VA and he claims it is next to heaven. The stats on the web look good but never been there save a few 70 mph hour pass-bys on a Harley.

We used to live in Mt. Pleasant SC (Charleston) and are fully aware of how an area can change overnight. We sold our house that used to be our dream retirement home because of congestion and 16 year old girls driving $80K Merceds.

I figured utilities might be a problem on rural land.

The only reason we are thinking about moving from Mississippi is to be closer to family. Bookworm and I have lived in way too many places and MS is by far the most accepting and gracious environment yet. Great motorcycling area. An RV Hmmmmm. How about it Bookworm? [am on the road yet again in a Hampton Inn. This stinks]

CaptCurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote