Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Money Magazine Retirement Article
Old 12-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer69
What month was it published?* Is it online?
December, inside the back cover. Don't think it is on-=line.
Didn't check.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyApe
Next month I think Money should spotlight Justin and his quest for $1 million of 0% APR credit.
I want to be just another number in the CC company's files. No Money profile for me. Besides, the amounts I'll be making from the zero percent CC offers is very small relative to my family's earned income and returns from traditional investments.

Funny that I just read this post. Just got off the phone from the CC company. They wanted to know when they could send me the 0% balance transfer check from my latest CC I received. They're so generous

Old 12-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #63

xxxxx

Old 12-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I thought about what JohnGalt2U said and although it seems to make sense for the CC cos to shut guys like you down I don't think they would.* They know that they are vulnerable to this kind of thing but it is so incredibly minor compared to what they are making by hooking everyone else on their credit card it's just a cost of doing business.* Plus how many people in our society today have the discipline, administration skills, and gratification postponement ability of Justin?* Even if a 1000 people tried it at the beginning enough would end up spending the advanced cash and it would be profitable for the CC company.* *

I checked my po box today but no offers.

A few years back, I rec'd a free offer from an unknown bank (I think in Des Moines) which gave me a $10k line of credit and sent free access checks...offering 1% free bonus money! So every month, they would send me a blank check, which I would write for $10k and cash into my savings account (interest back then was @ 8% too!). When I would recieve my monthly statement, I would send them back a check for $9900 (less my 1% bonus!). Another access check would come in the mail, and I repeated the process. This went on well over a year (of which I gained over $1200 plus 8% on their money! (OPM* ).

All it cost me back then was the cost of postage (no on-line banking or auto pay programs).

I told all my close friends, (none of which took advantage of the free money by the way)...a year or so later, the bank finally got wise and stopped sending me the free access checks

It was fun while it lasted. (Although I played with guilt in my mind for a while thinking it was fraud...but hey, they kept sending me this "offer I couldn't refuse"!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Great article and congratulations on your ER and FI. Enjoy your travels...
Old 12-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #66

Quote:
I thought about what JohnGalt2U said and although it seems to make sense for the CC cos to shut guys like you down I don't think they would. They know that they are vulnerable to this kind of thing but it is so incredibly minor compared to what they are making by hooking everyone else on their credit card it's just a cost of doing business. Plus how many people in our society today have the discipline, administration skills, and gratification postponement ability of Justin? Even if a 1000 people tried it at the beginning enough would end up spending the advanced cash and it would be profitable for the CC company.
The general public has a hard enough time depositing their monthly paycheck in time before their rent check and light bill check get cashed (assuming they wrote the checks for those bills on time). I guess I'm accustomed to zero failure tolerance at work, and I conduct my personal business with the same attention to detail. I'm sure many others here are like me. The general population - probably not many. (sorry SWR for hijacking your thread!).

Old 12-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I guess I'm accustomed to zero failure tolerance at work, and I conduct my personal business with the same attention to detail.*
I think you have said that you are married, Justin. How do you keep your wife from rebelling over your zero tolerance protocols?

If there is anything for which I need my wife's cooperation, I have to allow a very large slop factor in time and money, or it leads to resentment.

Ha
Old 12-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I think you have said that you are married, Justin. How do you keep your wife from rebelling over your zero tolerance protocols?
Zero tolerance for failure. Define "failure" appropriately, and with diligence, you won't fail. I don't have unreasonable expectations. We discuss important things, and agree on how to approach things. Realistic goal setting is important. Design some slack into systems to compensate for unknowns (spousal cooperation can be an unknown).
Old 12-05-2005, 05:07 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
(spousal cooperation can be an unknown).
In some cases it is ALWAYS an unknown

JG
Old 12-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
In some cases it is ALWAYS an unknown*

JG
That would cover just about everying in a marriage.

My spousal unit is still making the transition from her former "spend more, save less" life style to one of save more spend less. She is now maxed out in her 401(k) and I had her take her bonus and put as much as she could into "catch up contributions." The rest went into a small spending account that is hers alone so she can still get the emotional rewards from retail therapy she seems to need from time to time.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
That would cover just about everying in a marriage.*

My spousal unit is still making the transition from her former "spend more, save less" life style to one of save more spend less.* She is now maxed out in her 401(k) and I had her take her bonus and put as much as she could into "catch up contributions."* The rest went into a small spending account that is hers alone so she can still get the emotional rewards from retail therapy she seems to need from time to time.*
"Retail Therapy" -- great term
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

we are working on a portfolio makeover article with them now..we are doing the photo shoot wed...this sounds pretty exciting...more to follow.