Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Monthly spending money?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread is pretty interesting. I'm living with my fiancee (we'll be getting married next fall). We just opened a joint checking account to start paying all of the shared bills with. Our plan was to take half our take-home pay and put it into this account. We would pay the mortgage, utilities, cable, etc out of the joint account. Our individual expenses (cell phones, car repairs, our various hobbies) will come out of our individual accounts.

Once we're married, the number of individual expenses will decline, but I think the principle is solid. As the cars and insurance become joint expenses, we can increase the % of our paycheck that goes into the joint account. That way we each always have money that we can spend without a committee meeting.

Neither one of us is going to go crazy with spending, but each of us has spending that would drive the other nuts if we had to look at it every day.

The only challenge I see with this plan is what to do if she stays home with our children at some point.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet
The only challenge I see with this plan is what to do if she stays home with our children at some point.
That's easy-- you do whatever she wants you to do!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

$290 per week total $90 to her for whatever. $200 to me for groceries, dinners out and whatever. Gasoline additional $250 month average on credit card. Big purchases are out of interest income as needed. (grass seed, fertalizer, furniture, paint etc) Similar arraingment as to when we were both working but different amounts. We find it less stressful to not know what each other is spending $ on. My stuff looks like junk to her and vis versa.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow. We track things very closely on Quicken, and don't split anything down into his/hers. I would hate to do this and glad we don't feel we have to. Early in our marriage when things were very tight we had a budget which included his and her personal. Her ice cream allowance never was enuf to balance what I wanted for my beer allowance. Glad those days are over.....
Old 12-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
Wow. We track things very closely on Quicken, and don't split anything down into his/hers. I would hate to do this and glad we don't feel we have to.
Just as some reach FI via real estate, some via individual stocks, or mutual funds, or inheritance or by some other means, how couples manage their finances varies widely. There is no right or wrong way to do it as long as it works for you.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote