Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Motercycles /Scooters after FIRE
Old 10-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I was discussing my "biker" career with a house guest yesterday and
it occurred to me that with all the thousands of miles I rode, I never had a real bad scare.
Count your blessings -- I do. Never had an accident or a drop, though I came close once with my old 1000 lb Gold Wing. As you indicated, this is not a rare occurrence with big bikes, but I pulled up to a toll both and was contorting around to find my wallet. The bike got about 5 degrees off center and, trust me, it is not easy to muscle a bike that size back to midline. I managed, but barely.

Was sore the entire next day from arm wrestling with the beast.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

For my experience with dropped bikes, and I have been riding off and on since 14, up to Shadow Cruiser 1100 for the last 12 years. Anway, with said Cruiser, shortly after having open chest bypass surgery and while still in the recovery mode of building strength back up (about 6 weeks after surgery I think), I was riding the bike to work, and parked it in the lot. The lot had a slight tilt to it, and I dropped my glove, was bending over to pick it up, while still astraddle the bike, and it started falling over. When I realized that I had no strength to hold it up (dead lift at that point), I had to let it fall. Then I couldn't get it back up, tried rocking, and all the conventional tricks. And of course, having the Y chromosome, couldn't go looking for help. Finally, a damsel came along, and offered to help me right the bike. Between the two of us, we got it back up, although truth be told, she did most of the "heavy" lifting. Finally had to ride home that night, and explain to DW why there was a scratch on the bike, when she explicitly warned me about overdoing it, and probaly not being ready to ride just yet (see note about Y chromosome above). Guess that helped me to ride very cautiously from then on. : : : :

Old 10-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I've known DH he's had 3 bike accidents.

1. Head on crash, girl panicked when she saw a group of bikes coming at her, she ducked down and stomped on the brake making her car cross over to the wrong side of the road. She missed the first 4 and got my dh, his friend behind him layed his down and dislocated his shoulder - Dh flew over the car, landed on his head (helmet on), received a concusion and broke his thumb when it caught on the master cylinder. Totaled the bike.

2. Sideswiped by a guy that was going to take a left and suddenly decided he needed to go right. No injury but pretty much totaled the bike.

3. The last one on the exit ramp.

After the second accident he decided that he shouldn't ride a red bike although this last one had just the bottom of the gas tank painted red I guess that was enough. The new tank is now all black. When he had the bike repaired after the sideswipe incident he had the thing painted bright yellow, had that bike 10 more years and never had another accident with it.

We've seen some pretty bad accidents and have had friends or people we know die. I'd have to say 95% of those were caused from drinking and driving. Alcohol and motorcycles don't mix at all.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere

We've seen some pretty bad accidents and have had friends or people we know die. I'd have to say 95% of those were caused from drinking and driving. Alcohol and motorcycles don't mix at all.

In the 14 years I rode, I maybe once had one beer and got on a bike.
Otherwise, I never touched a drop while riding. I may be a risk taker
but definitely do not have a death wish.

JG
Old 10-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
After the second accident he decided that he shouldn't ride a red bike although this last one had just the bottom of the gas tank painted red I guess that was enough. The new tank is now all black. When he had the bike repaired after the sideswipe incident he had the thing painted bright yellow, had that bike 10 more years and never had another accident with it.
I'm not a motorcycle rider-- what's the significance of red or black or yellow?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Visibility.

My Ninja was black. I always wore a blaze orange helmet so I would be visibile. It made a huge difference.

A friend of mine manufactures motorcycle clothes. His "High Viz" color is a lime/green/yellow color. Amazing how it can be seen.

Red is bad for visibility, especially in the evening.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #27

Red was the color of the three bikes he was hit on. The head on was red, the sideswipe was a red with some black around the edges, this last one , the lower third of the tank was red. He feels red is a bad luck for him and I have to agree. The yellow was so he would stand out in the crowd and so you could see him even on a dark night.

I don't know if this pic will show up but it's what was left of the head on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1182cf40.jpg (22.5 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb 1182cf40.jpg_thumb (39.2 KB, 0 views)

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
A friend of mine manufactures motorcycle clothes. His "High Viz" color is a lime/green/yellow color. Amazing how it can be seen.
Never could convince myself to wear that Aerostich High Vis color, but it sure is visible, agree.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, it is bright.

I also haven't bought the Hi Viz clothing. They offered to custom make me a jacket--their standard sizes for men were not going to fit this below 5' tall woman. But I haven't taken them up on it yet.

The orange helmut really did make a difference though. People seem to stay further away. I recommend wearing something florescent or bright for visibility.

Hey Rich, maybe a new "man purse:"

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm not a motorcycle rider-- what's the significance of red or black or yellow?
Beats me.

When I was a young delinquent after totaling a 383 Roadrunner, a Firebird 400, and a 327 Corvette I realized I'd had the same Hurst Tee-handle shift knob in each car. Naturally I stopped moving the Hurst knob from car to car, and only totaled a Pinto and a Capri afterward.

hth,

Cb
Old 10-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 58 and planning on retiring next year. I've had motorcycles since I was 16. Current bike is a 2001 Road King Classic. While I love motorcycles I'ved decided to call it quits. In all my years of riding I never had a wreck. I figure the odds are against me.

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike. The wife loves the bike but she prefers the convertible now. Originally I told her I would sell the bike and replace it with the Miata. That was two years ago. Now I'm telling her I'll sell the bike and get a boat. We both love the water, she likes the idea, so it will be a good tradeoff.

For the folks starting out on bikes after retirement, just be careful and use common sense. Be particually mindful of 16year olds drivers with cellphones in their heads.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Used to be, the vast majority of motorcycle accidents involved young men (17 - 24 or so); as of the last few years the majority involve men in their 50s.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrynky

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike.

I had several bikes, a Honda 65 in 1966, a Ducati 250 1968/9 and a Triupmh 500 1969/71

I wanted a bike in the last many years but my wife has a Miata and I find it provides the motorcycle "hit" for me, at least when the top is down.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrynky
I'm 58 and planning on retiring next year. I've had motorcycles since I was 16. Current bike is a 2001 Road King Classic. While I love motorcycles I'ved decided to call it quits. In all my years of riding I never had a wreck. I figure the odds are against me.

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike. The wife loves the bike but she prefers the convertible now. Originally I told her I would sell the bike and replace it with the Miata. That was two years ago. Now I'm telling her I'll sell the bike and get a boat. We both love the water, she likes the idea, so it will be a good tradeoff.

For the folks starting out on bikes after retirement, just be careful and use common sense. Be particually mindful of 16year olds drivers with cellphones in their heads.

Someone mentioned "that little voice in your head" letting you know it was
time to stop riding. That is what happened to me. I own two (2) boats
now and "might" buy another Miata if I found the right deal. Under
those conditions I would still miss the bike but the pain would be relieved.

JG
Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought I'd add my $.02.

Turned 50 in 1998. Had to have a Harley. The waiting period at that time was about 1 year, so I bought a customized Low Rider off the floor in Orange, Virginia. I spent a LOT of $$$. Cost me about $23,000. I also had to have all the gear; chaps, two helmets, gloves, boots, etc. The tab just kept going up. I rode the thing for about two years until I had a close call. Really shook me up. I used to ride in my 20's, but this Harley never felt right. Maybe I was just thinking too much. Oh yeah, I joined the local HOG club, thinking I was pretty cool. I wasn't. Never felt like I fit in. Maybe because my Harley was a strange color blue (high impact blue-custom shop color) and the other Harley folks thought it looked weird ( except for the ladies; they loved it). Anyway, I sold it after it sat as a garage ornament for about two years. Don't miss it. Had some fun and I have no regrets except that I wish I bought a used, non-customized bike.

Anyone else gone through the "50 and got to have a Harley phase"?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseken
Thought I'd add my $.02.

Anyone else gone through the "50 and got to have a Harley phase"?
I got my first bike at 47 although I was attracted by the lifestyle for decades. I always thought I would finish my career on a Harley, even though every honest person knows you are mostly buying the name
and image. I ran out of time before I ever owned one. Probably just as well.

JG
Old 10-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

garrynky:

"In all my years of riding I never had a wreck. I figure the odds are against me.

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike. The wife loves the bike but she prefers the convertible now."

Love motorcycles. Had five. My last, a BMW Roadster 1100 I put over 50,000 miles on it before I had my accident (first one in thirty-five years of riding). Full protective gear (Roadster armored suit, BMW boots, gloves and a full-face helmet. Lady turned left in front of me. Hit with my head and now I don't have a useable left arm (nerves ripped from spine).

Wife and I now ride around in a 2003 Mazda Miata. Still love bikes, but....
Old 10-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
garrynky:

"In all my years of riding I never had a wreck. I figure the odds are against me.

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike. The wife loves the bike but she prefers the convertible now."

Love motorcycles. Had five. My last, a BMW Roadster 1100 I put over 50,000 miles on it before I had my accident (first one in thirty-five years of riding). Full protective gear (Roadster armored suit, BMW boots, gloves and a full-face helmet. Lady turned left in front of me. Hit with my head and now I don't have a useable left arm (nerves ripped from spine).

Wife and I now ride around in a 2003 Mazda Miata. Still love bikes, but....
Interesting the people who go from bikes to Miatas.

About 10 years ago I reconnected with a guy I first met in the 60s....long time biker. He had a Kawaski full dresser and a Kawaski Vulcan V-twin.
Anyway, he invited me to join him on his regular group trip
(weekend) into Wisconsin. The first time out I asked him if any of
the group ever had a "scare", at which point he informed me they had
a fatality a couple years before. I was a bit surprised. This guy is pushing
70 and still riding, although the last few times I rode with him I could tell
he was slipping. Once it gets into your blood it's hard to give up.

JG
Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy
I'm not retired yet, but I just got a new bike. I started out on a '92 Ninja 500 eight yrs ago, and just switched to an '05 Suzuki Intruder 800. (both great beginner bikes) I am quite short so these beginner bikes are all I'll ever be able to ride. I am in Colorado, so have lots of great scenery to ride through, and the Intruder is much more comfortable than the Ninja was for long rides.
I actually owned 2 Intruders, a 1997 and a 2003. Both were the 800 CC
version. I would not be comfortable with anything much larger either
and I thoght the Intruders were very comfortable, even on long rides.
Plus, they looked sharp (chopperesque?) IMHO.

JG
Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I was thinking about the original poster talking about taking up biking after retirement. To be honest, I think it can be done if this has always been a life long dream. Also, to be honest, motorcyling requires quick reaction, being attentive and always being on your toes. Frankly, I'm not as sharp and I'm not as coordinated as I was a few years back, that plays a large part in my decision to get out of biking.

As for the Miata, I've got a turboed job with a bunch of Flyin Miata parts on it, running 200 whp right now. Getting ready to change out the factory computer, I like to tinker and this thing is really quick right now.

As for boating, I'm in Kentucky right now but next year I head back to Tulsa, Ok and will be boating on Soldier Creek at Lake Texhoma, hopefully in a 26' Sea Ray.

Once you get the biking bug it never goes away. As for the Harley thing, I had a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and HD. (HD stands for hundred dollars, you can't buy anything in a Harley shop for less that a hundred bucks). I appreciated each bike on it's on merit. I met a lot of wonderful folks in the Harley crowd.

A previous poster noted he rode for 35 years without an accident then had one that was very serious. This reinforces my decision. Quit while I'm ahead.