Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
There is nothing that is more motorcycle than what's in those pictures. Those are REAL motorcycles!

Those look like real MOTORCYCLISTS too. The skill level required to ride in the dirt is greater than on the street.
A Harley IS a real motorcycle, NOT a copy..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Here in Oregon it's customary for a motorcyclist to wave at a fellow cycler passing in the opposite direction. For some reason Harley riders generally do not wave back. I guess they have to hang on for dear life with all the shakin' going on...
To most observers the Harley rider with no helmet, loud pipes and all the chrome is usually a pathetic attempt by an old fool trying to look real bad ass, The end result is something akin to a loud clown.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
A Harley IS a real motorcycle, NOT a copy..........

A copy of what?
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #64

Its traditional for two motorcyclists passing in opposite directions
to give each other a little wave. Sometimes just a lift of a finger,
but it is the thing to do. Sometimes they don't wave back.

Here are some reasons why:

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back:

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport Bike Riders Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than foetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. it's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back:

10. New Aero stitch suit is too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad" form.
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to Ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!
4. Wires from Gerbings are too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired Gypsy: Great List!!!!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #66

Still riding after all these years. One of my 2007 trips in my 60th year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meatgap2007.jpg (674.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7423.jpg (817.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #67

For the first time ever all the MC parking was taken at work the other day. Local MC and scooter sales are up about 50% in Kitsap county (while ATV and dirt bikes have fallen ~%50). I highly doubt the local MC safety course can accomodate the influx unfortunately. When I did it I had to sign up months in advance and do it in the winter.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
For the first time ever all the MC parking was taken at work the other day. Local MC and scooter sales are up about 50% in Kitsap county (while ATV and dirt bikes have fallen ~%50). I highly doubt the local MC safety course can accomodate the influx unfortunately. When I did it I had to sign up months in advance and do it in the winter.

DD
I believe it. I stopped at Fry's (Costco-sized computer/electronics store) at lunch today, and counted 9 motorcycles parked in front of the store (6 motorcycles and 3 scooters, specifically). A couple of years ago, I might have seen one or two bikes parked out front.
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #69

Kinda scooter related !

frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #70

Frayne, looks like you had a great year. Hope that 2008 is just as great for you and the Buckeyes! Go Bucks!!!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

I sold my BMW bike when I moved to S FL, intending to buy another when I got settled. Upon witnessing the incredibly insane drivers there, I determined to quit while I was ahead (never down or injured). Miss it sometimes but not enough to dive back in. Soccer Moms in SUV's on cell phones was the end of pleasant motorcycling for me.

Chris
chrisjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjul View Post
I sold my BMW bike when I moved to S FL, intending to buy another when I got settled. Upon witnessing the incredibly insane drivers there, I determined to quit while I was ahead (never down or injured). Miss it sometimes but not enough to dive back in. Soccer Moms in SUV's on cell phones was the end of pleasant motorcycling for me.
Same here - sold mine 6 months after relocating here. In addition to what you mention, the flat roads are pretty boring other than a pretty ocean view on the coasts. Maybe some day.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been working on one of my vintage trials bikes to try and get it ready to ride but I keep thinking of more things to modify. I've got around 15 bikes after selling half (or so) of them off in the year I retired (3 years ER coming up mid August!) Everything is a project, but making my own parts is a big part of motorcycling for me. Doing some casting of aluminum engine parts is the next skill I'm going to try and learn.

In a couple of weeks I'm flying back to Philly to hook up with a friend who moved back there a few years ago. We'll drive to the big AHRMA/AMA Vintage Days event at Mid Ohio where he'll ride his 380 CZ in the MX on Saturday and I'll ride his 348 Montesa Cota in the trials on Sunday. We both have vintage RR bikes too but the RR runs both of those days and there's only so much time in a weekend and space in the truck..

The 250 Ninja is fun. I had one for a couple of years that I modified and roadraced. The seating position is a bit cramped for a 6' rider but they give a lot of fun for the money.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
No motorcycles but does a dirt bike count? DH bought one a couple of years ago and he lives for his weekly rides with a local club that the joined. Once a week, they go out and ride the trails (pretty tame stuff) out in the country....
We have a vacation home in the AZ high country. I bought 2 dirt bikes for my son and myself. We spent time riding the trails deep into the AZ national forest (beautiful tall pines, though not thick like the PNW). Good father/son bonding, that even DW approved, because we wear helmets and do no stunts - we are just not capable of.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #75

Our local Corvette club has several members who decided that motorcycles were too uncomfortable/dangerous/impractical for touring. They are perfectly happy popping the top on the 'vette for a nice day, sealing it up for the cold or rain, and carrying lots of luggage. But THEY are not YOU, so have a great ride whatever you choose!
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #76

I should not have read this thread. Had a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 in HS, a Yamaha 650 after college. Sold that to pay for an annual inspection on the airplane in 1977.

Last week, it started out thinking of a 250cc Honda Rebel for a short drive to work. Then I noticed a 650 Suzuki was only a grand more. Quite a few people ride to work.

Then I bought three motorcycle magazines at the grocery store. With me, this is a bad sign, as I tend to study things to death before buying.

Now, I'm retired law enforcement and I've seen my share of ugly wrecks, including seeing a guy get his leg amputated on the street, which encouraged me to sell the 650, and worse, which I won't go into detail.

But still....

I must be nuts, or do it while there's time, that is the question.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #77

I've been caught in the rain plenty of times. When you find the inserts on your boots growing things after a week of constant soaking, you start to wish for a nice enclosed area. I'd still rather ride!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I should not have read this thread. Had a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 in HS, a Yamaha 650 after college. Sold that to pay for an annual inspection on the airplane in 1977.

Last week, it started out thinking of a 250cc Honda Rebel for a short drive to work. Then I noticed a 650 Suzuki was only a grand more. Quite a few people ride to work.

Then I bought three motorcycle magazines at the grocery store. With me, this is a bad sign, as I tend to study things to death before buying.

Now, I'm retired law enforcement and I've seen my share of ugly wrecks, including seeing a guy get his leg amputated on the street, which encouraged me to sell the 650, and worse, which I won't go into detail.

But still....

I must be nuts, or do it while there's time, that is the question.
I agree. RIT should be censored for starting this thread. I found myself looking at this, but in black: Google Image Result for http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos/2008_Speed_Triple_1.jpg but cannot justify the cost and gas mileage.

For any considering taking up the addiction sport I highly recommend:
Amazon.com: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well: David L. Hough: Books and its sequel. Anticipating what some other dirver/pedestrian/cyclist was going to do before they did it has saved my butt on numerous occassions. Like Walt34 I've seen my share of what happens when you don't pay attention...

DD
Old 07-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I've been caught in the rain plenty of times. When you find the inserts on your boots growing things after a week of constant soaking, you start to wish for a nice enclosed area. I'd still rather ride!
+1. I ride in the PNW year round...

DD
Old 07-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #80

Here's a friendly geezer who seems to be enjoying himself and his motorcycle at AMA's Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid Ohio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0228B.jpg (155.5 KB, 9 views)
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote