Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
I am also 6'8", and have given up finding riding pants. I have a Mesh-Tex jacket, but where do you get riding pants with a 38" inseam?
You may want to try leatherup.com.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Either the Tennessee side of Deals Gap on SR-129 or somewhere on the Cherhola Skyway ? Am I close ?
You got it,its the lookout on the Dragon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gap2.jpg (67.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-13-2008, 04:59 AM   #43

Quote:
I am also 6'8", and have given up finding riding pants. I have a Mesh-Tex jacket, but where do you get riding pants with a 38" inseam?

Oh, I just bought two KLX-250's, one of which is going to get sold soon to buy a KLR-650. I ride with my 14 yo son on forest roads and the like.
Vanson will make them for you.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am also 6'8", and have given up finding riding pants. I have a Mesh-Tex jacket, but where do you get riding pants with a 38" inseam?.
Pedal-pusher-biker look?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Pedal-pusher-biker look?
Nobody would know how long the pants were, as long as your boots are high enough so that the pants could be tucked inside them.

My sympathies to Culture, by the way. My brother is 6'5" and has always had an assortment of height related problems such as needing a custom bed, bumping into light fixtures, not fitting in some cars (especially the early Japanese cars 40 years ago), and such. At 6'8" there would be more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #46

Quote:
where do you get riding pants with a 38" inseam?
Don't need no stinkin pants (sorry, I could not resist )..

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You got it,its the lookout on the Dragon.
Been to the dragon and actually prefer some of the lesser known roads in the area, less traffic and squids to contend with. Below is a pic of my current ride.

frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Nobody would know how long the pants were, as long as your boots are high enough so that the pants could be tucked inside them..
Naah. I think he should show a little ankle.

And take some pictures .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #49

I'm only 55, but have two beemers--

a 2003 K1200 GT named Wotan and a 1995 R100RT named Helmut.

I like to ride a lot, but the multitudes of deer around here really scare me.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you call Aerostich, they can make them longer for you.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not want a motorcycle......

2fer
Old 06-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 60 and just got back Sunday from 8000 miles, 18 day bike ride from Wisconsin to Alaska and back on my 2007 Buell Ulysses.

No problems if you don't mind a little cool weather with rain, sleet and snow. I had a good time and usually take a couple of long trips each year... sometimes my DW comes along and we take the Gold Wing.

In 2006 I rode to all of the lower 48 States from Wisconsin on my Gold Wing... it was 4 longer trips.

Gonzo
Old 06-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #53

I will concede, however, that they are extremely pretty motorcycles.....
Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #54

Definition of a Harley:

A mechanical device used to convert fossil fuel into noise without creating all that bothersome horsepower.

http://bikediaper.com/
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
It's like a millions voices of common sense cried out...and were suddenly silenced. Loud pipes save lives...
I.m always confused at helmetless Harley riders using the term "Loud pipes save lives" when a helmet will do a lot more to save your life than those straight pipes ever will, but the term "helmets save lives' doesnt seem to apply to the loud pipe crowd.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #56

The premise that “loud pipes save lives” is a myth. There is no evidence whatsoever that it’s true.
The nation’s largest organization of motorcyclists, the American Motorcyclist Association, holds a long declared position against excessive noise.

AMA Position Statements: Excessive Motorcycle Noise
“The American Motorcyclist Association, established in 1924, has maintained a position of strong opposition to excessive motorcycle noise throughout its history. It has funded information and public relations campaigns in support of quiet motorcycle use and was the first motorsports sanctioning body in the world to regulate and reduce the sound level of racing vehicles.”

There are others who have organized their thoughts on this subject:
Loud Pipes Save Lives or The Madness Behind the Myth
“So I decided that perhaps the best approach would be to do some digging and see what I could find in the way of supporting facts, both pro and con. Perhaps I was wrong and they really do save lives, seemed doubtful, but I've always considered myself as someone who is willing to keep an open mind until the facts are in. In doing my research on the subject I found many opinions but very little in the way of hard facts on the issue of "do loud pipes save lives?" In the end I could not find a single "fact" that supports the idea, but I did find a number of opinions to support it, opinions that were, as far as I could see, weakly masqueraded as "facts". To be fair, neither could I find any facts in support of the idea they don't. What I did find was numerous reasons why (overly) loud pipes can be detrimental to motorcycling as a whole. Here's a synopsis of what I found.”

MC Safety--March 2001
“In light of the negative effect that loud pipes have on motorcyclists' image, I simply can't buy the "loud pipes save lives" argument. It's especially hollow coming from someone who disregards traffic laws, doesn't use a riding strategy, has never taken rider training, doesn't wear a helmet, or doesn't wear protective gear. Do all these things as a rule, because you're honestly trying to reduce your risks, and the argument might hold water. It's possible that a loud pipe may, in some unlikely combination of events, save your life, but it's doubtful. There are far more effective ways to reduce your risks. The crux of it is that, until you've covered absolutely every other base, that worn-our battle cry is just a way to rationalize your flagrant self-indulgence. You'll not be fooling anybody but yourself.”

To me, it seems that the entire issue is the behavior of ignorant irresponsible people and has nothing to do at all with motorcycles.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Harley riders are the most considerate nicest folks I know, and that's no BS, since I live in Milwaukee..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #58

Here in Oregon it's customary for a motorcyclist to wave at a fellow cycler passing in the opposite direction. For some reason Harley riders generally do not wave back. I guess they have to hang on for dear life with all the shakin' going on...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #59

No motorcycles but does a dirt bike count? DH bought one a couple of years ago and he lives for his weekly rides with a local club that the joined. Once a week, they go out and ride the trails (pretty tame stuff) out in the country....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James - Dirt Bike.JPG (228.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg James - Dirt Bike2.JPG (94.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
No motorcycles but does a dirt bike count? DH bought one a couple of years ago and he lives for his weekly rides with a local club that the joined. Once a week, they go out and ride the trails (pretty tame stuff) out in the country....

There is nothing that is more motorcycle than what's in those pictures. Those are REAL motorcycles!

Those look like real MOTORCYCLISTS too. The skill level required to ride in the dirt is greater than on the street.