Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Motorhome purchase? Pros/Cons!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

The hubs and I got a 21 foot trailer last year--LOVE IT!! It's a whole different subculture of people...really nice, warm, happy people!
Here's a good place to learn everything you ever/never wanted to know about RV life:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

PROS:* Our motorhome has all the comforts of home; non smoking room; king size bed with own pillows and bedding; no packing and unpacking each day; better security with no extra keys; full kitchen; 32" flat tv, dvd, satellite with all our favorite channels; couch and recliner; air conditioner that works* and our own bathroom "all the time" "you know who sat there last".

CONS: Filling the 150 gallon fuel tank!

We do it because we can and don't try to justify.

Dave
Old 01-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When you guys are RV'ing what sort of places do you stay in, and what does it cost? I've seen some not-so-fantastic RV campgrounds... and I wonder if reservations and availability are difficult in the summer months. We are considering doing the RV thing at some point in the future - partly because of the dog, so Greg and Martha you're not alone. I'm still not sure if I'd pack up the parrot, though.

I just wouldn't want to end up sleeping in Walmart parking lots!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:20 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Since we tend to stay in cheap motels when we have to sleep on the road we use the same approach to "Motorhomes". We have an old 8 foot slide in camper. We spend as little time as possible in it when on the road, just like a cheap motel. We have bed, frig, stove and porta potty and often pull off place we can camp for free.

I went for a light weight camper so it works on my V6 full size pickup. We get 13-14mpg with camper on and 17-19mpg when running empty as a second car.

Works for us but I wouldn't want to full time in it

Older slide in campers have the added advantage that they are cheap to buy, usually under $1000.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Campground rates...in 2005, we averaged about $35 per night (for over 100 nights).* The high was in the florida keys $95 and the low was $0. Campground rates have escalated well in excess of inflation for the last several years, but I am happy to say, they have for* the most part, improved their infrastructure. More 50 amp sevvice, WIFI and instant on phone service.

Dave
Old 01-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #46

Although, I have never RV'd, I have thought about doing it in my mid sixties as alternate lifestyle, roaming carefree and slowly around the US, Canada and Mexico. I thought about getting a type "B" motorhome. Being single, I think I could get used to smaller quarters. I like the idea of being able to park anywhere. I am not sure if travelling with a female companion would make living in a "B" type too cramped or would it be nice and cozy. Would there any maintenance issues that a converted motorhome has that a normal van would not.

MJ
Old 01-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_CFO_now_RVer
PROS:* Our motorhome has all the comforts of home; non smoking room; king size bed with own pillows and bedding; no packing and unpacking each day; better security with no extra keys; full kitchen; 32" flat tv, dvd, satellite with all our favorite channels; couch and recliner; air conditioner that works* and our own bathroom "all the time" "you know who sat there last".

CONS: Filling the 150 gallon fuel tank!

We do it because we can and don't try to justify.

Dave
AMEN !

That is the heart of RV'ing. The freedom to go where you want, when you want while living the lifestyle you want. It is possible to live frugally and the vast majority of RV'ers I have met over the past 20 some odd years get by on less than you are spending, but everyone has some area in which they indulge. We like to tow a trailer because it costs less, then we seem to end up buying a new truck every few years, so we probably don't save a whole lot. When it comes time for Grandkids and being on the road for 2 or 3 months at a time I plan to switch to a big class A, they are just better IMHO for families and road time. Big trailers are a better value and better when parked. At least thats the way I see it.

Happy travels,

JP
plattj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
There may be an early & later version of this but the one I remember was on a VW chasis and had the worst reputation of any RV I looked at. It could be that it could not take the mountains in California, maybe it would be OK cruising Iowa. But I would avoid it.
This is good to know! Thanks for the heads up.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
How was it RVing with kids? Claustraphobic at all? I think I have seen Class C floorplans that have a bed over the cab (for the kids) and another bed that could be closed off from the rest of the cabin.
Twenty some years ago we owned a small class C with a queen sized mattress AND windows. The kids loved it up there. When they'd start fussing DW would do a hook shot with a couple oreos. Worked every time. That was among my fondest RVing memories...also camping right on the beach at North Myrtle Beach.

Back then, being a curmegeon-in-training, once a month I'd dig it out of the NY snow, drive it to the local bank to make its loan payment :P

We still have the bug. Just before DW left the house this morning she handed me a slip of paper with a phone number of a used "fiver" we spotted snowbound with a for sale sign on it during our Sunday drive. Here we go again...maybe.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #50

Sheryl: That Rialta (sp?) had the VW V-6 engine which if I remember correctly had about 175-200 horsepower. It also has a fiberglass body which tends to be significantly heavier than other body types. It ends up underpowered for the job it needs to do in this country. Plus, it can wear out quickly. Don't buy a used one with high mileage unless you factor in an engine/transmission rebuild. Good Luck.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #51

What about security? Anybody ever had that "uh oh" feeling in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere?

Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM

What about security? Anybody ever had that "uh oh" feeling in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere?

Not really. I don't think the bad guys like the middle of nowhere.

I know those who recommend oven spray in lieu of mace.

Greg would prefer a pistol. For the bears, not the bad guys. We have met people whose motorhomes were attacked by bears and in the areas where we primarily camp bears are becoming a bigger problem all the time.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Makes you wonder about those people who wont stop talking about the right to arm bears.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

What about security?

Wasp spray* and fire crackers can also work, but I prefer a 12 gauge shotgun which I have never even taken out of its box. * Intruders don't know what they will encounter when inside a motorhome, so they leave you alone. *Most rvers that I have met carry some sort of protection.

Dave
Old 01-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Greg would prefer a pistol. For the bears, not the bad guys.
Do I understand that Greg is not only investing in gold but also in firearms in his efforts to prepare for bear markets, bear attacks, bear naked ladies, etc.?

Martha, I don't understand how you bear to live with him.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Do I understand that Greg is not only investing in gold but also in firearms in his efforts to prepare for bear markets, bear attacks, bear naked ladies, etc.?* *

I suspect that the shock collar he wears helps, at least until he wears the batteries out.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #57

A VERY LARGE Beward of Dog sign, with a picture of a Rottweiller will deter potential intruders.

The use of a shotgun reminds me of the Senator from New York who wanted his wife to be able to own an Uzi or AK in case they were burglarised.

Scary thought, a civilian with a gun in the middle of the night.

I guarantee that if any of you have seen the real results from weapons, you might just have second thoughts and decide Charley Heston is wrong.

It ain't as eay as drop to knee, point and fire.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
Scary thought, a civilian with a gun in the middle of the night.
Howard, that's the general idea.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Do I understand that Greg is not only investing in gold but also in firearms in his efforts to prepare for bear markets, bear attacks, bear naked ladies, etc.?

REW: You have it all wrong. It's "bare" naked ladies and '"bare" to live with him.' And, yes, I would much prefer a "bare" market. It all starts with no pants. Try 10% no pants first to test the waters. Please, no wise cracks.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Try 10% no pants first to test the waters. Please, no wise cracks.
Need your help on this one. Since I'm a guy, I should be able to accomplish both the above by simply unzipping my fly, right?