Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Motorhome purchase? Pros/Cons!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, when I unzip, I get 80%. Weird.

Theres a crack joke in here somewhere too. I think the database pushbuttons screwed it up though.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Howard, that's the general idea.
let's see. RV is in the middle of nature, late at night wife get up without waking husband to go out to enjoy the stars. comes back to the RV thinking husband is still sleeping doesn't turn on the light. husband wakes up hearing some noise, panics, takes out the 12 gauge, boom and voila, instead divorce.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #63

Where theres a subject, you can bet theres a Yahoo! group.

Guns and rv's go together...well here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RV_SAG/
Old 01-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #64
Dryer sheet wannabe

A while ago I asked one of the more prolific posters here to shed some light on the emotional component from the pro gun folks that typcially arises in many firearms discussions.* I sincerely wanted to understand it.* I received a (typically?) trite response.*

However, after slumming around the private campground world last fall and meeting some exceedingly scary local denizens, I am beginning to see the light.* The emotional component is fear.* They are simply ascared.

and I may have to git me a gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Guns and rv's go together...well here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RV_SAG/
Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

I purchased an Itasca Navion last fall and am quite satisfied.* It's not for everyone, but might be worth looking into since you seem to want a smaller vehicle.* It's nimble and gets good fuel mileage.

Sheryl mentioned the Rialta.* I had been looking at them for years but ultimately decided that it was just a tad too small.* I think it's one of the more attractive motorhomes out there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gReeNy
The VW campervan does seem like a great comprimise... but is there anything out there that compares... perhaps made by toyota etc.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:20 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

My boyfriend has an 11.5 foot camper on his pickup. We have been using it 5 years some for camping some he lived in it near work a few nights a week when working double shifts. Taking it camping is nice because it can haul a boat, but I usually take my truck to haul the boat. It has a little shower, range, frig and air conditioner with a queen sized bed so very nice for getting away for a weekend. We leave food and clothes in it so we just need to pack parishable food to be set to go. Not only do you save on motels but you are where you want to be not in the next town, we like being alone in the forest or at a lake or river. You don't have to go anywhere to get coffee or a meal and the cost of food is just like at home.
We got the truck camper because we haul a boat if we were going to travel without a boat we would pick a 5th wheel they are bigger. A motorhome leaves you without a truck to run around in unless you bring a spare. If your motorhome is in the shop you are stuck in a strange place with no car. If you blow an engine with a 5th wheel you can just buy a new truck.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
I purchased an Itasca Navion last fall and am quite satisfied.* It's not for everyone, but might be worth looking into since you seem to want a smaller vehicle.* It's nimble and gets good fuel mileage.
I like the look of that - thanks Tozz.* * Another question:

Has anyone ever tried putting kayaks on top of a motorhome?* Would you exceed overpass heights?*
Old 01-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
I purchased an Itasca Navion last fall and am quite satisfied. It's not for everyone, but might be worth looking into since you seem to want a smaller vehicle. It's nimble and gets good fuel mileage.

Sheryl mentioned the Rialta. I had been looking at them for years but ultimately decided that it was just a tad too small. I think it's one of the more attractive motorhomes out there though.

Tozz, does the Itasca Navion only take diesel? (I just looked at them at a site I found through google.) And is diesel what all RVs use? Wondering because there was just a news story here in NY about how it's harder to find diesel, and I suspect the remote places I'd want to go are worse off.

kate
Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Kate, Tozz's motorhome, on the mercedes sprinter chassis, takes only diesel. This is one of the reasons its milege is so good. There are both gas and diesel motorhomes.

We have a diesel car and we have not had trouble getting diesel. Though we have not been to the northeast with the car.

Sheryl, I saw someone who made a very elaborate sea kayak rack for his class C motorhome. It was too hard to lift them up there by hand, so he created a lift system with pulleys to lift the kayaks unto the racks he built on top of his motorhome. Very nice. I would like something similar on our motorhome.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I like the look of that - thanks Tozz. Another question:

Has anyone ever tried putting kayaks on top of a motorhome? Would you exceed overpass heights?
Well yes, I put them on my VW camper all the time on a Yakama roof rack. When I had a Class C camper I also would carry kayaks on top. I used the Yakama side pieces and just a piece of pipe accross the width of the camper. It worked OK but it is a lot of work to assemble and get the boats up & down and it makes the side wind profile even worse. But it can be done. I strongly suggest not trying to set up & load solo.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #71

Thanks Martha!

Yakers -- and everybody -- is there a VW camper made these days? Friends tell me that's what I want. I'm a novice on all this, but they've heard me wax on a lot....

Thanks!

kate
Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
I strongly suggest not trying to set up & load solo.
No - I don't even put my boat on the RAV alone anymore. One too many lower back injuries.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

(pretty late in this thread - this will probably get lost)

Owning a motorhome is a luxury. Don't try to justify it economically. Economics is not the point.

The main CON - is, it's an expensive luxury.

The PROS - it is so dang fun to travel this way, if you can afford it, who cares about the cost? The purpose of life is not to economically justify your pleasures.

You can indeed reduce the CON significantly by buying a not-too-late model RV. You'll be "wasting" a LOT less money.

But, you'll almost never get your money back even if you try to compare it to other modes of travel.

But why does that matter?

Audrey
P.S. I actually live in a motorhome. i.e. - I'm a fulltimer. I don't own a house. I live a totally mobile lifestyle. It can't be economically justified. I'm having a blast with this lifestyle.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
P.S.* I actually live in a motorhome.* i.e. - I'm a fulltimer.* I don't own a house.* I live a totally mobile lifestyle.* It can't be economically justified.* I'm having a blast with this lifestyle.
Audrey:

I'm not so sure it can't be economically justified. When I compare what it costs me to live in the burbs vs. the budget I see at www.rv-dreams.com, it looks like I could save a LOT of money by full-timing.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Audrey:

I'm not so sure it can't be economically justified.* When I compare what it costs me to live in the burbs vs. the budget I see at www.rv-dreams.com, it looks like I could save a LOT of money by full-timing.
In most cases I doubt that - when compared with home ownership. The problem is the RV is a depreciating asset. A house is an appreciating asset. It's very hard to overcome that difference even when living very cheaply with a lower-cost RV.

Yes, there are some people who manage it, but they are perhaps willing to buy a super cheap RV, and live a very frugal lifestyle. Most people aren't interested in living quite that frugally.

Personally, I don't see the point of TRYING to economically justify owning an RV. What matters is enjoying your lifestyle and just figure what tradeoffs you need to make to afford it.

Audrey
Old 01-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In most cases I doubt that - when compared with home ownership.* The problem is the RV is a depreciating asset.* A house is an appreciating asset.* It's very hard to overcome that difference even when living very cheaply with a lower-cost RV.

Yes, there are some people who manage it, but they are perhaps willing to buy a super cheap RV, and live a very frugal lifestyle.* Most people aren't interested in living quite that frugally.

Personally, I don't see the point of TRYING to economically justify owning an RV.* What matters is enjoying your lifestyle and just figure what tradeoffs you need to make to afford it.

Audrey
I hear you, I am just trying to square away what I have seen with what I currently shell out. I figure I spend $6k in RE taxes and $3k in misc. maintenence on a supposedly appreciating asset that I can never actually cash out of. $9k a year is an awful lot of depreciation...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Oh - $9K a year is easily seen on a depreciating motorhome or trailer and truck - especially if purchased relatively new.

Actually that $3K a year on miscellaneous maintenance? RVs easily cost more than that to maintain annually. Especially as they get older.

Personally - the property taxes I no longer pay now go towards fuel I would have not bought without this lifestyle. As fuel goes up I'll probably eventually end up paying as much as I used to in property taxes.

And your house will probably appreciate to cover most of those annual expenses.* Or you can always find a more economical house to own or move to a lower tax location.

Our monthly expenses are quite a bit lower than what they were when we owned a house. *That's great. *But when I look at what I paid for our motorhome - any savings, even over many, many years, go right out the window!!

I took a look at that site.

Looks like they used some of the equity of their home to pay for the up-front costs of getting into full timing - about $140K.

When they decide to by another house - quit fulltiming - where are they going to get the money? *They aren't going to get a large amount back out of their rig.

If they fulltime for 10 years and need to upgrade or replace the trailer or the tow vehicle (more likely) - where is the money going to come for that? *Replacements go up in price while rigs you own go down in value.

Their 2005 budget doesn't show any major maintenance items yet. *That's going to happen too after a few years.

So while you are running around enjoying the lower monthly expenses (not including depreciation) of RV living, you had better also be saving for the big ticket items that will be coming down the road INCLUDING the eventual need to replace your rig.

The thing is with house ownership, due to appreciation you usually eventually break even (usually much better) on upgrades, maintenance and repairs. *And homes don't wear out as quickly and need to be replaced like things on wheels do.

And most people who get into fulltiming invest the proceeds from the house towards the future when they stop and wish to be a home owner again.

It is generally considered unwise to use the equity from your primary home real estate to buy depreciating assets like RVs. *So that kind of means you need to already have enough money to "blow" on an RV without ever expecting to get the money back in order to afford that lifestyle. *Kind of increases the barrier to entry - sure. *So pretty much finding the least expensive rig you think will give you the lifestyle you want is about the smartest thing you can do financially.

Some people still use the proceeds from the sale of their home because that's the only way they can afford to go fulltime and they don't care if someday they may be stuck paying rent for the rest of their lives. *As long as they make that tradeoff with their eyes wide open - fine. *It's an informed choice.

Audrey
Old 01-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Personally, I don't see the point of TRYING to economically justify owning an RV.* What matters is enjoying your lifestyle and just figure what tradeoffs you need to make to afford it.
Audrey
Audrey and another poster have this right--it is about lifestyle.* Trying to do positive economics on a depreciating vs appreciating assets is mostly futile.
Recognize the RV allows you to have a set of experiences that are not easily replicated (sailing maybe but it has other issues).
The relatively low expense of fulltiming just helps make the experience easier.*
nwsteve
Old 01-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Its not the first RV $outlay, thats scary, its that you might like RVing and have to buy the 2nd and 3rd RV later on.* When we purchased our motorhome, shelling out over $200,000, we joked about not liking RVing and selling the RV quickly, thus reducing the financial bath that we were undertaking.* So far we have enjoyed the experience with over 100 nights RVing in 2005.

Dave
Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #80

I just saw Audrey's beautiful rig and I would agree that RVing with it would be expensive.
I was thinking about RVing when I get to my mid 60's but I would probably get an inexpensive small trailer or 5th wheel. I envision my RV lifestyle as being similar to PTing as I would stay in one place that I enjoyed for awhile. This would keep the cost of fuel and vehicle maintenance down.

MJ