Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Motorhome purchase? Pros/Cons!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #81

My B in L, took the opportunity to spend $300,000 on a yacht, they live on it all Summer and plan to sell their home in a year and take off for several years of Sailing the Globe.

Currently they cruise the Great Lakes.

I just met a couple who took their kids out of school, home schooled them, and have been sailing the Pacific for nearly three years.

Several others were doing the same thing, so they were able to make friends, the kids would meet at the next docking, they were able to ensure that thye were always monitored should problems occur.

No gas to buy, minimal maintenance, not sure about depreciation on Boats?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
Howard, have you ever owned a boat?
1. Yes - most will buy a lot of gas ( or rather diesel if it's 300k boat, but you will still buy gas for your dinghy) - most crusing sailor are endig motoring at least 1/3 of their travels
2. Maintenance is actually a huge expense, especially in tropics - either in time or in money or both.
3. Boasts do depreciate. For example a boat we are considering for liveaboard costs about $150k new. You can get a 5 years old for $100k, 10 years old for $75k and 20 years old for $40k.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
Wow, boat owners all over this board are probably nasally spewing their beverages across their monitors right now. Go pay a visit to your local marina and watch all those boat owners gloating over those "advantages".

I suspect a lot of sailboat owners are quite thankful for their motors, especially in the harbor. I may be a fan of solar but it also helps to have a generator for those nights when you really need quick reliable power.

If you immersed your house on one of the most corrosive substances known to humankind, would it still qualify as "minimal maintenance"?

I'm no sailing expert, but I suspect that sailboats depreciate even faster than cars. Dennis Connor compares the sport to standing in a shower stall under a cold stream of water while tearing up $100 bills.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #84

sailor, I have been told the two happiest days in a Boat Owners life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

No, I have never owned a boat, but I live 3 minutes from Georgian Bay and I am always able to find some one who wants company for the day.

My B in L eats, drinks, sleeps sailing, they own a Jeaneau soemthing or other, bought it with his payout at Retirement.

His Boat is docked in Lake Huron, and funny enough he can spend hour after hour working on his Yacht but he doesn't consider it working.

My interest has always been Real Estate, I would rather knock down some walls and do some shingling, after spending almost 30 years of International travel, not to keen to hit the road for extended periods.

I have every recreational opportunity that you could want, all within minutes of my home, I don't have to line up, just walk outside.

We talked about RV'ng once, briefly, very briefly, chacun a son gout.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:31 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To save money and travel the country, you could do what I did on my 6 week drive across the USA and back: sleep in your car. I have a Prius hatchback and the back seats folds flat. I have a nice cushy mattress with sheets, pillow, and a comforter. The Prius has electric air conditioning so you can keep the AC on at night when it's hot and the engine just runs every once in a while to keep the battery charged. The only annoying part is that the engine starting or stopping can be felt and can make it harder to sleep.

For one person it works great; two would probably be too cramped because you would have to move gear around too much. Two might work in a larger vehicle like an SUV or minivan. I definitely know people who use pickups with shells to sleep two. The cheapest and safest place to sleep is in Wal Mart lots for free. Showers can be found in truck stops and campgrounds.

The other nice thing about driving a passenger vehicle rather than an RV is that I think it's much safer on the road; you are much more maneuverable to avoid an accident and you have all the modern safety features like antilock brakes, vehicle stability control, traction control, six airbags, side impact protection, and so forth. Then again if you're in a head on collision with an RV I think the RV would win.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #86
Dryer sheet wannabe

You are hereby banished to the miser thread!

As a teen, two of us traveled from Seattle to Boston in a VW beetle. Somehow we managed to sleep in it. I don't recall comfort being a big issue then, but I suspect it would be now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireme
To save money and travel the country, you could do what I did on my 6 week drive across the USA and back:* sleep in your car.*
Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Life on the road is an adventure, can be fun or full of problems...

Dave
Old 01-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
sleep in your car.
Not in your car... ON your car !

This is the route we are going for now, until RV's get WAY better gas mileage AND I can afford one used!.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KC\'s Element.jpg (13.2 KB, 150 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb KC\'s Element.jpg_thumb (35.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-25-2006, 03:36 PM   #89

Nice! Does that sleep two people comfortably?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #90

Neat camper. I have seen pictures of these and know they are popular in other parts of the world. We have more of the original version of it, a 1985 VW Westfalia camper. It will tecnically sleep 4, we do 3 regularly. And it works as an additional car too. Now if I had the $WD version I could go ofroad too.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gReeNy
This is the route we are going for now, until RV's get WAY better gas mileage AND I can afford one used!.
Do tell! Was that something you rigged up yourself?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #92

Here's someone who converted a van with a sleeping area:

http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/van.htm

If you think about fuel costs and such it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me to carry a full house around with you on the road. I'm much more in favor of converting normal vehicles to be livable, so you don't incur the depreciation of having a dedicated RV.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Sportsmobile does relatively inexpensive conversions of vans, with some standard plans and a number of "custom" options. www.sportsmobile.com.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #94

gReeNy -- I have an Orange Honda Element, but it's turning green with envy looking at your camping rig! What a fabulous set-up!

I've actually seen these car-top tents on other vehicles, but wasn't sure of a few things:

1. How does the "loft" behave in a strong wind when it's deployed and you're in it? Is it steady enough to sleep in under those conditions? Any whistling or flapping of tent sides?

2. Does it meet the Element's specs for weight on the roof? Is this mounted on the standard Element roof racks?

3. How does it affect mileage? (And what's your Element like -- AWD or

4. Where have you been in that thing? Any lite off-roading (forest service trails, etc.? It looks like a LOT of fun!

5. I see you have the Honda-OEM cabana on the back - -you like?

Thanks, and happy wandering!

Caroline
Old 01-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Do tell! Was that something you rigged up yourself?
The tent is a "Maggolina" Car Top tent. It is made in Italy (since the 50's) and is quite popular in Europe for expedition travel. For you U.S. folks, your can find more info about models at http://www.loftyshelters.com/IndexFrame.htm

The picture is NOT my unit. The picture I captured from an ad site.
I have mine on a Mazda MPV 4x4. and bought it from a distributor in Canada. There are distributors (with varying prices) all over. They are quite expensive.

The tent weights 115 pounds and is solid as a rock. It is developed for extreme temps (Canadian cold and desert hot). Regular roof racks work fine! (The weight ratings on racks are for movement, not stationary)

An optional side awning attached over the tent is also quite cool as it shelters you from stuff upon entry and exit.

I went this route cause I REALLY wanted a V.W. vanagon camper van, but did not want to put up with the mechanical nitemares that many have experienced. With the tent on top, it frees the remaining space. It's also up and ready to sleep in < 60 secs.

When the MPV dies, I'm going with the Honda Element however.. I LOVE hondas (again, the low maintainence thingy) and the Element and the tent look great together, though I do not think I'll spring for the rear tent...
Old 01-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

The Maggolina car top tent is really interesting--also works on the back of a small pickup. I liked the disclaimer on the website: Cartop tents must not be open or occupied while the vehicle is in motion.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #97

Thanks, Greeny! I, too, was lusting over the Vanagon camper... UNTIL I went to a user site and heard all the complaints. The only thing worse than having your vehicle break down is having your vehicle break down on vacation and in the middle of nowhere!

I've had my ELement for a year now and absolutely LOVE it. Sleep in it on camping trips, pull the back seats out and load it to the gills with furniture, etc. No worries. The only thing I don't like -- shifting the gear around to set up for sleeping in it at night -- would be solved by your little system here.

As to the back tent -- Honda calls it a "Cabana" and I'd heard from others that it is NOT always waterproof in the rain... so we also agree that it's probably not worth the bucks.

Thanks again!
Caroline
Old 01-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Caroline- how is tha tElement in crosswinds?

Also, how is your gas mieage?

Thanks, Ha
Old 01-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #99

Ha: I found the Element a tad uncomfortable in crosswinds at first, but maybe you can't go by me, as I moved up from a pretty low-to-the-ground '91 Camry. Other Element owners say it's pretty much like any SUV or light truck - no better, no worse.

Mileage on my 2005 AWD 5-speed is averaging 23 for 100% city driving. I haven't figured out highway mileage yet. Again, I may not be typical, as I drive like a granny.

Caroline
Old 01-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #100
Dryer sheet aficionado

A lot of people here are missing the point. You can buy a good rv for about the same as many of you spent for your go-to-work ride. You do not need a huge class A coach. A small used unit ( I have a truck camper) is all you need. After all, the whole world is your backyard and there is no room to store all that stupid junk that you tend to buy when you have a house to fill up. Some of you are also ignoring the hidden costs of permenant home ownership. I.E. furnishing it, landscape maintenance , two nice cars in the driveway, commuting and did I say all that space to store junk that you buy but do not need?