Motorhome purchase? Pros/Cons!

Personally, I don't 'get' the RV lifestyle. Based upon this article [globeandmail.com: The end of the road], it seems to consist of obese elderly people driving gas-guzzling [-]behemoths[/-] 'rigs' from scrubby trailer park to distant scrubby trailer park (with perhaps a few overnight stops at empty Walmart parking lots en route), where they plunk down their oversized persons in lawn chairs and smoke and consume junk food. To each their own, I guess.
Based on the degree of tactful tolerance of your stereotyping I'd have to agree with you that you indeed do not get the lifestyle.

About the only thing in your critique that applies to REWahoo's situation is "gas-guzzling", and I'm referring to his RV.

You'll have to post your criteria for what you consider to be a "good" vacation lifestyle so that the RV'ers can reciprocate.

You'll have to post your criteria for what you consider to be a "good" vacation lifestyle so that the RV'ers can reciprocate.
Minimal footprint and maximum contact with the surroundings. E.g., kiyaking, canoeing, hiking, and bicyling would all qualify (hunting, power boating, bus touring, etc. would not).

Those are my personal criteria, posted since you asked. I don't claim that they are universal.

Personally, I don't 'get' the RV lifestyle. Based upon this article [globeandmail.com: The end of the road], it seems to consist of obese elderly people driving gas-guzzling [-]behemoths[/-] 'rigs' from scrubby trailer park to distant scrubby trailer park (with perhaps a few overnight stops at empty Walmart parking lots en route), where they plunk down their oversized persons in lawn chairs and smoke and consume junk food. To each their own, I guess.

I see you are expousing your stereotypical negative views of America again. Have you ever had anything good to say about your good neighbors to the south?

Try this view instead, I appreciate the opportunity to enlighten you.

Take your retirement on the road - MSN Money

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who don't RV full-time, where do you store those beasts? RVing appeals to me, but my HOA regs prevent me from parking one on the street in front of my house.

Maybe we'll have to look into one of the smaller Sprinter-based units, or a trailer that could fit in the garage...

Prospective, Rich in Tampa can tell you all about the Sprinter models.

Our 28 foot 1976 Airstream MH is parked proudly by the house, no HOA restrictions. We are getting ready to "pay the man" for fuel on our annual Music Festival trip to Virginia and can't wait! RVs are a blast, and ours is no exception. Delighted that we are doing our part to do what Americans do best, irritating those from other countries! :angel:

For those of you who don't RV full-time, where do you store those beasts? RVing appeals to me, but my HOA regs prevent me from parking one on the street in front of my house.

Our HOA allows parking recreational vehicles (boats, travel trailers, etc.) beside or behind the house along as it is out of view of the street. Lots in the subdivision are 3-5 acres in size, so it isn't usually a problem.

Maybe we'll have to look into one of the smaller Sprinter-based units, or a trailer that could fit in the garage...

The Sprinter-based units have a lot of appeal but pay close attention to the cargo carrying capability of your unit. We saw some which after loaded with fuel and water were within a couple of hundred pounds of being maxed out on weight. Once you, your SO and some groceries were loaded on board you were over the limit for the chassis. Not good...

Maybe Rich will chime in on his Trailmaster travel trailer. We're in a RV park right now in the mountains of New Mexico parked next to one of those models and it looks really neat.

(Sorry Milton, not a scrubby, lawn chair sitting, overweight, smoking, junk food eating American in sight ;))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
Personally, I don't 'get' the RV lifestyle. Based upon this article [globeandmail.com: The end of the road], it seems to consist of obese elderly people driving gas-guzzling behemoths 'rigs' from scrubby trailer park to distant scrubby trailer park (with perhaps a few overnight stops at empty Walmart parking lots en route), where they plunk down their oversized persons in lawn chairs and smoke and consume junk food. To each their own, I guess.

Brings to mind another quote.
smiley.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
Ignorance of other cultures is regrettable. Boastful ignorance is shameful.

Dang! That's gonna leave a mark!

Yes, a big problem for city dwellers. You can rent space ranging from $100 per month (security fenced lot) to $280 (indoor with hookups). Sprinters are fine but very small - we traded ours in on a larger trailer.

Our ultimate solution is to store this in our driveway under a tarp. We have a 2008 3124KS. Love it - tow it with a Toyota Sequoia.

P.S.
At the moment we are parked in REW's driveway (he's away) and are using his bathrooms, kitchen and air conditioning. Only thing missing is a sewer hookup, but with that big yard of his we figure he'll never notice if we dump the black tank far enough from his house. This is our best RV trip ever. I love America.

Last edited:
P.S.
At the moment we are parked in REW's driveway (he's away) and are using his bathrooms, kitchen and air conditioning. Only thing missing is a sewer hookup, but with that big yard of his we figure he'll never notice if we dump the black tank far enough from his house. This is our best RV trip ever. I love America.

:D:D:D:D

Just be careful when dumping and watch out for the snakes, chiggers, and fire ants in that back yard. >:D:D>:D

Our ultimate solution is to store this in our driveway under a tarp. We have a 2008 3124KS. Love it - tow it with a Toyota Sequoia.

That looks really nice. My current SUV could probably tow it, too. Hmm, I wonder if it would fit in the garage? Probably so, since I'd imagine it's not much wider than a typical SUV.

P.S.

LOL!

That looks really nice. My current SUV could probably tow it, too. Hmm, I wonder if it would fit in the garage? Probably so, since I'd imagine it's not much wider than a typical SUV.

Yes, some models fit into standard garages. In fact, most do. Mine is one of the larger models so it's in the driveway. Very ingenious when you see how it folds up and down using a tortion bar. A 1-person, 15 minute chore at most.

P.S.

If you were retired, I'd probably believe you.

Man oh man. I almost choked on my Big Mac Double Cheeseburger and fell out of my doublewide lawn chair when I read this!

Minimal footprint and maximum contact with the surroundings. E.g., kiyaking, canoeing, hiking, and bicyling would all qualify (hunting, power boating, bus touring, etc. would not).
I bet my lifestyle footprint is smaller than yours since I don't own or live in a house.

Audrey

Just be careful when dumping and watch out for the snakes, chiggers, and fire ants in that back yard. >:D:D>:D
Man oh man. I almost choked on my Big Mac Double Cheeseburger and fell out of my doublewide lawn chair when I read this!
Dang, REWahoo, what a thoughtful environmental steward you are. I never imagined that you'd find a way to keep the rattlers, chiggers, & fire ants fed & entertained while you were gone...

You're gonna have have to PM Rich the combination to the gun safe so that he can set up a little pork BBQ for your return.

Before we moved down here we had to store the motorhome. Now we have it safe and sound in the backyard. I can use the savings in storage fees to pay for more fuel.

Here is a shot of the backyard.

And like Audrey said; we don't have a ratty trailer; have only been in a few really run down RV parks; don't stay at WalMart but have stayed in a few truck stops. We aren't all that overweight (DW is underweight) and while we aren't able to do very active things due to her disability, we still get out and do things besides vegetating in a zero gravity recliner with a bratwurst in one hand and a Bud in the other. Not that there is anything wrong with brats in small doses. Bud is a beverage that resembles beer but is not real beer. You don't put corn and rice in real beer.

Oh, our next trip starts in 2 weeks. We have some medical visits up North and will combine those with several campground and RV park visits including a drive over the Cascades to a RV Resort at Newport, OR. Not exactly trailer trash traveling.

I don't apologize for my chosen lifestyle. We traded up from a mountain cabin with one view to a mobile one with unlimited views. The living space is almost the same but the views are whatever we want them to be and with a 8 foot by 5 foot windsheild...that makes one nice picture window.

I apologize if this information has already been posted.

Rving continues to be less expensive as a vacation choice than those of staying in hotels and eating out.

See Road Trip

And RVIA

As a lifestyle footprint I agree with Audrey. It was our experience that, overall, we consumed less and impacted the environment less than those who lived in a brick and mortar home owning 2 cars, having pets, and driving to and from work each day.

As a lifestyle, RVing gives great choice.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Wow Steve, I was going to ask what resort you were staying at till I read your message.

This thread is titled Pros and Cons of Motorhome Purchase. But is seems that most posts are definitely pro. Motor home buyers must be a very satisfied lot.

Ha

I think most folks who aren't interested in this lifestyle just don't open the thread.

Except me.

I see the allure, and when was young my dad and mom would rent a trailer or MH every year for our vacation. We had fun, but I remember that the MHs were loud (lots of rattles from the vehicle, windows, cabinets, dishes, etc), ponderous, and got terrible mileage. I'm sure some of these attributes are lacking in the modern, $125K+ motorhomes.

My wife is not a camper, even the type of "camping" done in a Class A motorhome. So, we drive and check into a hotel. Lots of choices as to where to stay, and an easy-to-maneuver vehicle to see the sights.

If it were up to me, I'd probably still do the low-cost hotels for trips to the city, and get a small teardrop trailer for something closer to camping. In our case, the $$ spent on a nice MH wouldn't be worth it.

What I'd build:
It's got an icebox, stove, sink (7 gal of water), a place to sleep, and a small chemical toilet. Total weight: Less than 1000 lbs. Tow it with a minivan. $2000 in material.

Plans: http://www.kuffelcreek.com/8'_cubby.htm

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
8%27_cub18.jpg
[/FONT]

Turned 50 yesterday. DW gave me a great BD present- she rented a 39' Class A Diesel Motorhome for a week in October- we pick it up in Philadelphia, will spend a week in the New England States looking at the fall colors, return it to PHL, then fly back home to PHX.
Anyone have any ideas about what to see and where to stay? I don't want to get up there and find all the parks full when we roll in at night, don't want to have to park at Walmart; according to our resident Canadian expert on American culture, I'd probably take up chain smoking, guzzling cheap beer, and eating supersized fast food meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while lounging in my worn-out lawn chair wearing a sweat stained wife beater undershirt and watching VHS tapes of Jerry Springer reruns...... Would greatly appreciate any and all travel tips, sightseeing advice, attractions, etc- neither of of has spent any significant time east of the Mississippi, if you exclude business trips.

Back
Top Bottom