Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But virtually all of the license plates are from Oregon - out of state license plates are extremely rare. One camper came by when we set up to tell us that we were the only other TX license plate he'd seen in a long time, and that it never used to be that way.
In another thread, I reported that a local 5-star resort where my daughter works in accounting had cut their staff to 32-hr work weeks. Their competitors in town are cutting room rates to ridiculous levels. Now, you are seeing some other bleak conditions.

It looks like we forum members can make up our own FIRE Beige Book!

We can have a lead on the market. By the time the public sees the Fed Beige Book, and sees that it was bad, we will be buying already.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 26 ft Lazy Daze class c with this being our fourth summer. It is a great lifestyle if you love the outdoors and love travel. When we finally FIRE, we will use it a lot more including July and August in the Rockies - perhaps we'll campground host and earn a buck or two while getting free camping. $4 gas sucks but if you don't move every day, you don't spend that much per day.
huskerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Another thought about the fuel prices......

When we started our adventure over 3 years ago, we were well aware that gas prices could go much higher. Prices were quite cheap at the time on a historical basis, even if not quite as cheap as a couple years earlier. But we figured - the sooner the better on fulltime RVing, because it was just going to get more expensive later.

Of course, lo-and-behold, hurricane Katrina attacked New Orleans a few days after we sold our house and the very day we left Austin finally officially fulltimers. Instant fuel price jump! I remember taking the motorhome by a station just a couple days later and topping off the tank up just in case there were nationwide shortages.

We have a great knack for timing major trips to coincide with the next run-up in fuel prices. Left TX for the Pacific Northwest mid-March 2008.

It's all an adventure, no matter what the sticker shock!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #164
gone traveling

How can you put a price on sleeping in your own bed every night ? I have spent too many nights in hotel rooms (ranging from Asian hovels to Grand Hyatts- probably 2500+ nights) over the last 25 years to want to do it on vacation. I'll take a nice class A motorhome with the same mattress I have in my home over the Motel 6 any day- which is probably the closest you can get to Class A campground fees.

If you try to justify a motorhome as a purely financial decision, you can't. If you enjoy it, have the budget for it, and feel you are getting what you want out of owning it then you have your answer.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #165
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But virtually all of the license plates are from Oregon - out of state license plates are extremely rare. Audrey

Don't a lot of folks license their high-value vehicles in Oregon to avoid paying state sales tax?- I know when I lived in Washington a few years ago Oregon plates on Porsches and motor homes were a big problem- and I know my uber-wealthy BIL has all his vehicles licensed thru a shell corporation there.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
Don't a lot of folks license their high-value vehicles in Oregon to avoid paying state sales tax?- I know when I lived in Washington a few years ago Oregon plates on Porsches and motor homes were a big problem- and I know my uber-wealthy BIL has all his vehicles licensed thru a shell corporation there.
Don't know about that, but I'm camping with mostly small passenger cars, trucks and small trailers. I doubt there are many folks in this campground pulling that stunt - this is low budget state park camping here.

When camping at the fancy resorts around the country I sure see a lot of big fancy motorhomes with Montana plates though. Often with the towed vehicle with another state plates. That seems to be the popular tax dodge these days. Colorado starting cracking down on it though, and they were very successful. I suspect several other states will follow suit now.

Audrey
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not sure about Oregon but one well known way to avoid paying state taxes on a motorhome or other high-value vehicles is through a Montana LLC. I looked into it when buying our motorhome but found it to be way too questionable for my comfort level.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not sure about Oregon but one well known way to avoid paying state taxes on a motorhome or other high-value vehicles is through a Montana LLC. I looked into it when buying our motorhome but found it to be way too questionable for my comfort level.
How does that work? Are LLC's tax exempt in Montana? Residency required?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
How does that work? Are LLC's tax exempt in Montana? Residency required?
No Montana residency is required and there are significant tax savings. Google and you'll find many Montana attorneys who will set up a LLC for you for a small fee. Here's one example: Tax Free RV Services will form a Montana LLC (Limited Liability Company).

I looked at it and determined I'd be clearly violating my state tax laws, but that doesn't stop everyone of course. They guy I bought my MH from had a LLC and my check for the purchase price was made out to the LLC, not him.

Be careful, very careful. As Audrey mentioned, Colorado is taking action on LLC used to register RVs and other states may follow.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No Montana residency is required and there are significant tax savings...
Be careful, very careful. As Audrey mentioned, Colorado is taking action on LLC used to register RVs and other states may follow.
No, not something I would consider. But I do know a lot of people who list Florida as their primary residence, stating they live here for 6 months and 1 day per year, 3 months of which they are invisible for some odd reason. Did I mention we have no state income tax? (I'm sure Texas has the same thing).

Full timers often claim Fla residence for similar reasons.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Be careful, very careful.
Every year we have a few entrepreneurs who become citizens of the Sovereign Kingdom of Hawaii and stop paying their state/federal taxes.

It works great until the auditors catch up with their backlog...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #172
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Personally, I don't 'get' the RV lifestyle. Based upon this article [globeandmail.com: The end of the road], it seems to consist of obese elderly people driving gas-guzzling behemoths 'rigs' from scrubby trailer park to distant scrubby trailer park (with perhaps a few overnight stops at empty Walmart parking lots en route), where they plunk down their oversized persons in lawn chairs and smoke and consume junk food. To each their own, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Every year we have a few entrepreneurs who become citizens of the Sovereign Kingdom of Hawaii and stop paying their state/federal taxes.
Here you go: Self-Proclaimed States.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #173

“Americans are what used to keep this place going,” she says. “Now they're gone. Gone, gone, gone.”
Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Personally, I don't 'get' the RV lifestyle. Based upon this article [globeandmail.com: The end of the road], it seems to consist of obese elderly people driving gas-guzzling behemoths 'rigs' from scrubby trailer park to distant scrubby trailer park (with perhaps a few overnight stops at empty Walmart parking lots en route), where they plunk down their oversized persons in lawn chairs and smoke and consume junk food. To each their own, I guess.
LOL! That describes an entirely different universe than the one I live in!

Not saying that it doesn't exist. But I have never stayed in a scrubby trailer park (yes, they exist), and never overnighted at Walmart (though I would if that was our only option) and most RVers I encounter are pretty active folks and enjoy and appreciate the outdoors - which is the whole point for most campers.

And lots of obese people in the US sit around in big chairs and eat junk food and smoke and it has nothing to do with owning an RV or not.

Scrubby trailer park? I think not! For many folks getting to spend days and nights in these fabulous surrounds but in their own bed/bath/kitchen is what RVing is all about. (Palo Duro Canyon in the TX panhandle for those who don't recognize the cliffs).

Audrey
Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #175

Quote:
Brings to mind another quote.

Quote:
Ignorance of other cultures is regrettable. Boastful ignorance is shameful.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Based on the degree of tactful tolerance of your stereotyping I'd have to agree with you that you indeed do not get the lifestyle.

About the only thing in your critique that applies to REWahoo's situation is "gas-guzzling", and I'm referring to his RV.

You'll have to post your criteria for what you consider to be a "good" vacation lifestyle so that the RV'ers can reciprocate.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #177
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You'll have to post your criteria for what you consider to be a "good" vacation lifestyle so that the RV'ers can reciprocate.
Minimal footprint and maximum contact with the surroundings. E.g., kiyaking, canoeing, hiking, and bicyling would all qualify (hunting, power boating, bus touring, etc. would not).

Those are my personal criteria, posted since you asked. I don't claim that they are universal.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #178
gone traveling

Quote:
I see you are expousing your stereotypical negative views of America again. Have you ever had anything good to say about your good neighbors to the south?

Try this view instead, I appreciate the opportunity to enlighten you.

Take your retirement on the road - MSN Money
Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #179
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those of you who don't RV full-time, where do you store those beasts? RVing appeals to me, but my HOA regs prevent me from parking one on the street in front of my house.

Maybe we'll have to look into one of the smaller Sprinter-based units, or a trailer that could fit in the garage...
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Prospective, Rich in Tampa can tell you all about the Sprinter models.

Our 28 foot 1976 Airstream MH is parked proudly by the house, no HOA restrictions. We are getting ready to "pay the man" for fuel on our annual Music Festival trip to Virginia and can't wait! RVs are a blast, and ours is no exception. Delighted that we are doing our part to do what Americans do best, irritating those from other countries!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote