Motorhome Woes

ON BACKING:

One of the main benefits of me doing all the motorhome driving, is that my husband directs the backing. He's extremely good at it. Besides checking all clearances thoroughly, he makes it so easy for me - he basically turns his hands to show me exactly how much to turn the wheel left or right - I don't even have to think! Obviously he can clearly visualize me driving and give me expert direction.

Of course, if I a) can't see him or b ) have a concern, I stop backing until I can see him again or we radio to resolve the issue. No sense in taking any risks.

I am so grateful for his skill. I often watch wives hop out to help their husbands back into a site, and usually they just watch one side of the coach and sort of helplessly flail their hands about while hubby attempts to interpret. Maybe I don't understand the system, but it certainly doesn't look clear to me.

Stereotyping here - but gosh I've just seen this so often and been so grateful I wasn't getting the confusing direction! And I'd rather back than give backing direction - but I won't allow anyone other than DH to direct me.

On backing trailers - completely different beast and much harder (anti-intuitive) than backing a motorhome. Fortunately, when we bought our Casita (trailer), I discovered that even though DH hates to drive, he was an expert at backing trailers, from years of boating with his Dad as a teenager. It was a year before I was brave enough to try backing the Casita myself. And then it still took a while to "get it" even though I had an expert training me. Finally, I figured out that I could always see one of the trailer wheels from side view mirror, and I learned how to get that trailer wheel to go where I wanted it to. Got way easier after that.

Audrey

I'm guessing a few of those high end MH's are already on a 'drive by wire' system...?
Our car has "accelerate by wire" and "brake by wire". Is there such a thing as "steer by wire" on American roads? Power steering, sure, but I'm not so optimistic that U.S. drivers are ready to learn how to reboot a steering wheel.

As for all of the backing instructions, when it came to teaching our 15-year-old how to back up a vehicle I did what every self-respecting parent should do-- I hired a driving instructor to teach her how to do it...

Hey Martha, we too have a Lazy Daze. A-1 build quality but nothing is perfect. In four years, the only issues have been a computer board replacement for the genny (under warranty) and a leak at the door jam (CFB'S expandable foam idea may have been tossed out in semi-jest but that was the cure for that headache).If you love nature and getting away, an RV is a great thing.

No steer by wire in our cars yet, but other items such as forklifts do use it.

And no, the foam wasnt in jest. My original suggestion was to fill the seam with expanding foam and then quickly cover it with metal tape before it fully expanded. As I recall is was going to be a week or so before Martha could get it in the shop and rain clouds were on the horizon... ;)

Thanks much for this. Any and all bad experiences with RVs would be much welcome. I will forward these experiences on to my Mom, who thinks she wants to take an RV trip around the country with her significant other. I'd rather they drive her Prius and stay in hotels :D

Thanks much for this. Any and all bad experiences with RVs would be much welcome. I will forward these experiences on to my Mom, who thinks she wants to take an RV trip around the country with her significant other. I'd rather they drive her Prius and stay in hotels :D
It depends - does your mother or her SO already own the RV? If so, they really should use it, and cross country touring is a great way to do so.

Otherwise - again, it depends!

Personally, I'd much rather travel the country in our RV than car/motel. Staying in motels/hotels stinks. Having to eat most meals out stinks - if you can even find a decent place on the road! Being able to pull over at a rest area and have a nice meal, even take a nap or watch TV or do internet if you want to - priceless. Being able to spend the night in a state park or even out in the boonies and yet still be able to sleep in your own bed - priceless.

So it all comes down to whether the (not insignificant) hassles of RV ownership are outweighed by the benefits of RV travel. For many of us, the benefits way overwhelm the drawbacks.

Audrey

Better watch out for bedbugs....

Not only them but "other critters" as well. Bed bugs are child's play compared with scabbies (lice). Don't ask me how I know this. :rant: The only possible source was a bed in a rented cabin we stayed in.

I am happy to sleep in my own bed knowing no one else other than DW and I have slept in it.

One a nicer note..........

We are now in Newport, OR. The temperature at 5PM was 62 degrees. What a nice relief from the oppressive heat of home (100 again today).

We have a view (through the trees) of the ocean and it never bores me to look at it.

We are going to see some lighthouses on Monday and do some exploration of the area. I'm sure DW will do some shopping and we will gorge on seafood.

Happy to report no additional issues over the last 450 miles. We will keep our fingers crossed.

These discussions on backing up the RV will sound eerily familiar to those of us who have also gotten to spend quality time aboard a boat with our spouses. The "hand signals" used by the anchor wench to the captain can surely rival those offered by the one offering backing assistance to the RV driver.

No steer by wire in our cars yet, but other items such as forklifts do use it.

And no, the foam wasnt in jest. My original suggestion was to fill the seam with expanding foam and then quickly cover it with metal tape before it fully expanded. As I recall is was going to be a week or so before Martha could get it in the shop and rain clouds were on the horizon... ;)

Yup. And my insurance company said: "No! Don't touch it!" They ended up getting us in quickly for a temporary repair.

It depends - does your mother or her SO already own the RV? If so, they really should use it, and cross country touring is a great way to do so.

I didn't mean to start a flame war between the pro-RV and anti-RV camps :LOL: I just want her to be well-informed. She doesn't own an RV now, and was talking about renting, but hasn't done any further work on the subject. :)

Eh, the renting isn't a great deal, usually. We've done it once years ago and while the RV wasn't too much trouble, it is not really a convenient way to travel if you are not familiar with how they work/campground stuff/navigating unfamiliar places.

We've got an RV so I can say 'anti-RV" things and not get kicked out of the club. :)

Eh, the renting isn't a great deal, usually. We've done it once years ago and while the RV wasn't too much trouble, it is not really a convenient way to travel if you are not familiar with how they work/campground stuff/navigating unfamiliar places.
We've got an RV so I can say 'anti-RV" things and not get kicked out of the club. :)
I visited my nephew's West Point graduation in 2007. If you've never been to Highland Falls or the Fishkill areas of New York before, let's just say that they're as ready to handle 1000 families & friends (and their vehicles) as Annapolis. We quickly learned that driving & dining would take three times as long, if it got done at all. And the morning of graduation was a security nightmare, with people arriving two hours before the start just to get through the vehicle lines.

In the middle of all this hoopla, we dined one afternoon with a picnic on the Hudson's shoreline. My nephew took us to a quiet spot that was just a couple miles away from the "main drag" and about five minutes away from a shuttle stop. I was surprised to see over two dozen RVs parked there with a whole community of mellow families who were enjoying themselves instead of plotting their next driving or dining assault. Security nightmares? They walked to the shuttle and rode over in about 10 minutes.

Our kid starts college in summer 2010 and we'll probably have to visit in the summers of 2011 & 2014. Depending on where she ends up and how "RV friendly" the campus is, I've been thinking real hard about RV rentals...

We'd love to have RVing part of our retired lives, but from information gathered on various forums and from friends it would probably be part-time. I could see spending a total of 4 months or so on long trips, visiting family and friends. For the rest, we'd use it for 1 or 2 week getaways near the beach or sight-seeing cities. Florida has a lot of campgrounds, and with a day or two drive there's the NC mountains, the SC shore, Destin, Charleston, New Orleans and lots of places in between.

But an immovable stick home would always be there if we get road-fatigue or have to deal with a prolonged real-world live event. We'll just have to see if the numbers work out all around. Our TrailManor will have to fill the void for now.

Regarding RV rentals, we had little luck. The cleanliness and condition of the rigs were horrendous, plus combined with the outrageous prices. They paint them like gaudy rolling billboards which didn't add to the allure. Maybe if you're looking at a longer rental it works out better.

Regarding RV rentals, we had little luck. The cleanliness and condition of the rigs were horrendous, plus combined with the outrageous prices. They paint them like gaudy rolling billboards which didn't add to the allure. Maybe if you're looking at a longer rental it works out better.
We were having similar luck with the hotels and B&Bs in the vicinity of most college towns. During our college tour last year, when our kid would turn to us with her smiling face & shiny eyes and say "Hey, I could go to school here!", I'd ask spouse "Do we want to visit here ever again?"

When our kid has an admissions letter, I'll look up this board's local RVers and get some recommendations. I'm hoping that our kid's desire to take her school breaks in Hawaii will avoid most of these situations... until graduation.

We are going to see some lighthouses on Monday and do some exploration of the area. I'm sure DW will do some shopping and we will gorge on seafood.
Do you know Local Oceans Seafood? We thought it was great - ate there like 4 times when we were in Newport. We are serious seafood gorgers ourselves.

They are on that Bay Boulevard that runs along the harbor downtown. More on the east end past most of the shops and across from the piers. Welcome to Local Ocean Seafoods

Anyway - glad you made it!

Audrey

Being able to pull over at a rest area and have a nice meal, even take a nap or watch TV or do internet if you want to - priceless. Being able to spend the night in a state park or even out in the boonies and yet still be able to sleep in your own bed - priceless.
Audrey

As someone who travels with two small children, I have two words that make travelling with out trailer great: "potty time."

We have been doing a lot of exploring. The fog is keeping down the good photo ops. but here is one I took in Boise just after a storm blew up a huge dust cloud.

The second one is a view from near the motorhome park. This makes the mechanical headaches worth it.

Audrey, we are eating out way down the to Bayfront...Local Oceans is on our list.

Attachments

• boise sunset.jpg
    boise sunset.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 8
  • Yaquina Head Lighthouse.jpg
    Yaquina Head Lighthouse.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 12
Yaquina Head from Pacific Shores

Here is a view of Yaquina Head and the lighthouse from the cliff at Pacific Shores RV Resort in Newport.

yaquina-head-from-pacific-shores800.jpg

It was a steep hike down to the beach (150 feet or so), but it was so worth it as it was really enjoyable to hike the beach at low tide in the morning. Of course from the top of the cliff people look like ants.

Audrey

I have a photo from the same spot....only mine is all white because we have been fogged in for two days. :rant:
Actually, the lighthouse photo in my post above is from a spot just above the beach...but still very foggy. Nice to see what it looks like in the sunlight. Maybe on our next trip out this way.

I have a photo from the same spot....only mine is all white because we have been fogged in for two days. :rant:
Actually, the lighthouse photo in my post above is from a spot just above the beach...but still very foggy. Nice to see what it looks like in the sunlight. Maybe on our next trip out this way.
Are you guys really seeing 4-6 foot surf, or are those people really short?

What's the water temperature?

We went through about 3 foggy days before enjoying a couple of days of sunshine. Newport was probably the most foggy spot in our entire traversal on the Oregon coast.

But your photo looks really neat! It looks like black and white.

Audrey

Are you guys really seeing 4-6 foot surf, or are those people really short?

What's the water temperature?
That's probably right for the surf. Not many surfers though. There are a few beaches/coves that seem popular for surfing, but it's not widespread.

Water temp - 55 to 58 degrees or thereabouts! That's what provides the local (extreme) air conditioning.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom