Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
We are going to see some lighthouses on Monday and do some exploration of the area. I'm sure DW will do some shopping and we will gorge on seafood.
Do you know Local Oceans Seafood? We thought it was great - ate there like 4 times when we were in Newport. We are serious seafood gorgers ourselves.

They are on that Bay Boulevard that runs along the harbor downtown. More on the east end past most of the shops and across from the piers. Welcome to Local Ocean Seafoods

Anyway - glad you made it!

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Being able to pull over at a rest area and have a nice meal, even take a nap or watch TV or do internet if you want to - priceless. Being able to spend the night in a state park or even out in the boonies and yet still be able to sleep in your own bed - priceless.
Audrey
As someone who travels with two small children, I have two words that make travelling with out trailer great: "potty time."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have been doing a lot of exploring. The fog is keeping down the good photo ops. but here is one I took in Boise just after a storm blew up a huge dust cloud.

The second one is a view from near the motorhome park. This makes the mechanical headaches worth it.

Audrey, we are eating out way down the to Bayfront...Local Oceans is on our list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boise sunset.jpg (41.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Yaquina Head Lighthouse.jpg (395.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The second one is a view from near the motorhome park. This makes the mechanical headaches worth it.
I can't look...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Think I will stick with my electric golf cart.

Do you need a fourth? I am always ready tom play.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Yaquina Head from Pacific Shores
Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Yaquina Head from Pacific Shores

Here is a view of Yaquina Head and the lighthouse from the cliff at Pacific Shores RV Resort in Newport.

It was a steep hike down to the beach (150 feet or so), but it was so worth it as it was really enjoyable to hike the beach at low tide in the morning. Of course from the top of the cliff people look like ants.

Audrey
Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #47

I have a photo from the same spot....only mine is all white because we have been fogged in for two days.
Actually, the lighthouse photo in my post above is from a spot just above the beach...but still very foggy. Nice to see what it looks like in the sunlight. Maybe on our next trip out this way.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a photo from the same spot....only mine is all white because we have been fogged in for two days.
Actually, the lighthouse photo in my post above is from a spot just above the beach...but still very foggy. Nice to see what it looks like in the sunlight. Maybe on our next trip out this way.
Are you guys really seeing 4-6 foot surf, or are those people really short?

What's the water temperature?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We went through about 3 foggy days before enjoying a couple of days of sunshine. Newport was probably the most foggy spot in our entire traversal on the Oregon coast.

But your photo looks really neat! It looks like black and white.

Audrey
Old 08-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

That's probably right for the surf. Not many surfers though. There are a few beaches/coves that seem popular for surfing, but it's not widespread.

Water temp - 55 to 58 degrees or thereabouts! That's what provides the local (extreme) air conditioning.

Audrey
Old 08-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Like Audrey said, the surf runs 4-6 feet with 5+ foot tides. There are some very nice sandy beaches south of Seal Beach that looked like a good place to surf...very few rocks and a nice curl 100 yards out.

The Oregon coastline is amazing in its' diversity. 200 foot cliffs down to miles of flat sandy beaches, up to massive rock outcroppings then on to gravel beaches and more "haystack" rocks. Never a dull moment driving US 101..too bad I have to be the driver...too busy to really look until we find a BIG place to pull over.

We will be back when we have more time to explore the coast.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #52

We are back in Salt Lake City for a few days as DW finishes her current round of medical work. We managed to log just over 2000 miles over 6 travel days so far with another 300 on Thursday and have seen some truly awesome scenery along with some really boring high desert views that seem to go on forever.

A major difference between the East and West is that in the East most major cities are about 120 miles apart or about 2 hours drive. Out here they are 500 miles apart or 7-8 hours driving time. That makes for some long days behind the wheel.

So far there are not new issues with the coach.

On the bright side...our chassis manufacturer has been working with the coach manufacturer on some long standing issues we have had with handling, ride quality, safety and a long-term air leak in one of the systems. They have agreed to replace the shocks, replace both front wheels and put on larger tires (lower the required air pressure from max.) do some work on the fuel tank filler tubes, and not stop until they find the small air leak. This is great news since most of our problems with the coach seem to be from the chassis.

We have an appointment in 3 weeks to get all this fixed at a regional repair center instead of the "local" repair centers. They feel this is a key issue in our continued problems. They will cover the cost of the parts and labor to fix everything. We have high hopes that this will be what we have needed for many months.