Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We're struggling with the furniture issue. What do you do when you really like your furniture, even though it's old? I've gone to moving companies' web sites to try to estimate cost of moving (to compare with cost of replacing furniture) and it seems impossible to get a handle on cost of moving.

While some of our furniture is quite old and showing wear, we couldn't afford to duplicate the quality today. Some is heavy solid oak from the 90's, and we definitely could not duplicate the quality of that furniture. It seems like all you can get today is a) pressed sawdust with thin veneer or b) ultra-expensive solid hardwood.

Amethyst
We paid quite a bit for some of our furniture, some we have had for 30 years. But we also feel that we got our money's worth and are giving most of it to friends and family. We will just have to replace much of it when we get down there.

It would probably be cheaper to have it moved, but I just don't want to deal with it. It also gives us a chance to buy what fits in the new house. And since we plan to rent for a few months first less storage fees and handling.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #22

As someone else mentioned, the old furniture may very well not fit in the new living quarters due to style and/or size. And $100 bills travel a lot more easily and cheaply than furniture. You can often buy very nice furniture at a reasonable price from others in your new area who are downsizing and moving.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Its very rare that moving furniture is cost effective, especially when downsizing. We will be putting the 'homestead' on the market next month, and movable stuff is high on our priority list. Yes, we do have the oak kitchen table that has served us well for 20 years, but a couple old gizers like us are not really all that hard on presswood furnature
Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredatfifty View Post
I have friends in Springfield & Ozark & a sibling previously lived in Joplin. Visited there many times. Great place to live IMO. Just too far from the ocean for me.
Halfway in between, how much closer to either ocean, could you be?

It is a very nice area, there's that minor issue tornados, but thats what shelters are for. Then the ice and snow.

We've been talking about moving for 3 years. 3 trips to AZ. 3 to different parts of FL. Maybe we'll try that area or a little further south. Never hurts to look.
MRG
Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thank you, what a great site!

My ER Forum membership has paid for itself yet again,

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
It's easy to get multiple quotes on line from movers, if you're willing to provide you email. But, if you want an anonymous quote, there are fewer sites. Here's one that will put you in the ballpark without providing personal info.

Moving Costs Estimator
Old 02-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On moving it partly depends on the distance and the state you live in. In Tx for example beyond the big moving companies there is a tier of folks who style themselves apartment movers, and use trailers to haul the goods. They will at least go 250 miles (I used them to move stuff from Houston to the Texas Hill Country). So you could go to the phone book and see if such companies exist where you live and ask if they could do a move.
I suspect their range is limited by the distance out and back being do able in a day.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #27

dm - if your'e moving to a condo, it may be possible to ship stuff to yourself at a nearby UPS store. When we first got our vacation condo, I would ship, or have a retailer ship, stuff in my name to the UPS store a few blocks way. I would know approximately when it was being delivered and I would pick it up there. This worked out well because the UPS drivers would not leave our packages at the door of our condo.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #28

I used this site not long ago and everything worked out very well. This is the deal depicted in the TV program "Shipping Wars". Price was good and the movers were on time and professional.

Movers | Cheap Moving Companies | Get Auction Moving Bids
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #29

I'm just going to rent a truck and drive it down myself. We just have to get it down to one truck load. Its kind of scary that anyone can rent a 26' long truck and also hook a trailer up to it and go across country.

I'll be dodging the seniors in their motorhomes with cars being dragged behind.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I'll be dodging the seniors in their motorhomes with cars being dragged behind.
Hey! Stay outta my way sonny...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another option to consider is a container mover like PODS. I haven't tried it, so this isn't a recommendation. I read about it in someone's blog, and it sounds like it might be a good way to go. Moving West - Part 1 - Can I Retire Yet? (I'm not endorsing the blog either--I have no connection to the author or to PODS).

I did go on-line and request a quote. All in, a 16' container (described as big enough to move a 3 bedroom house) going from the central plains to the Pacific NW (call it 1,600 miles) was quoted at around $2,900. The blog also talks about using a website called HireAHelper (Local Movers - HireAHelper.com) to get a couple of local guys to load and unload your pod.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #32

I had to move a bunch of stuff from CA to NM. I used U-ship, which is run by ABF Trucking co. In my case I did terminal to terminal and rented a portion of a truck trailer. The nice thing is they allow flexibility for how much. You estimate a length, say 15 ft. Then you can have a plus/minus of some amount per ft that you are different.

They will drop the trailer at your house and then drop off at new house, but of course it has additional cost vs the terminal. Of course you have to bring the stuff to the terminal, vs having the trailer right at your house for loading.

As to the 2 vehicles, if you are driving the rental truck, put one car on trailer behind that and your wife can drive the other vehicle? Seems an obvious solution to me.

For moving help, you can get help in local area by looking at Craigslist. For loading stuff, I actually got some day labor help at the local Home Depot. Worked out for me, but this is not a solution for everyone. I had a lot of heavy car parts and the extra labor was great. I pretty much led the chaos and told where to put stuff.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I am lazy and have found that when I tell friends and relatives that I'm giving away most things that are big or heavy for free, that it's not much trouble getting rid of stuff. I've gotten over thinking about all the thousands some of the stuff cost, it's nice not having to worry about moving or storing it.
I'm lazy too and plan to donate or give away stuff. How long did it take you downsize to get house ready for sale? BTW, your house is beautiful! I retired Jan 3 with the plan to de-clutter and get house ready during 2014, with the thought of putting it on the market Jan 2015. Well since I haven't started I say, Jan/Feb are decompress months and I'll start in March.....something tells me come March I'll have another excuse. :-). Thanks
Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I'm lazy too and plan to donate or give away stuff. How long did it take you downsize to get house ready for sale? BTW, your house is beautiful! I retired Jan 3 with the plan to de-clutter and get house ready during 2014, with the thought of putting it on the market Jan 2015. Well since I haven't started I say, Jan/Feb are decompress months and I'll start in March.....something tells me come March I'll have another excuse. :-). Thanks
We are still working on it. Its still cold here and its hard to get motivated. We are going to start loading the Christmas and keepsakes to a storage building next week. Most of the furniture is going to stay till we sell.

We are hoping to have everything ready to show in March. Except the yard.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you itemizing the donations you are making for tax purposes? It's impressive how quickly they add up. Am also taking pictures of the donated items in case valuation gets tested. Got to love digital cameras.

I've been wrestling with DH to get rid of stuff from the time we got married and he moved in to my house. There are boxes of his stuff that have moved several times over the decades, without being opened. I have warned him that this needs doing before the house goes on the market next Spring, and that he risks having to work an extra year if we miss that sales window of opportunity. We want to sell before he quits, as our costs decrease hugely. I guess a storage unit is another option. Maybe paying for that would motivate him!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #36

Reading this thread brought on a feeling of deja vu... What goes around, comes around...
Should be interesting to see what difference a year makes to memories...

Emptying a House
Old 02-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Reading this thread brought on a feeling of deja vu... What goes around, comes around...
Should be interesting to see what difference a year makes to memories...

Emptying a House
Thank you for this link, I found it very helpful as I contemplate my downsize/de-cluttering project.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #38

We went through quite a lot in the basement today. We boxed up the stuff we are going to keep. Put stuff aside for the kids and friends to go through, and had a big fire in the backyard.

A lot of the stuff we havn't seen or used in years. Just kept it around because it may have been worth something, or just in case we needed it. I tell my wife what do you think the boys would do with it. We are giving them plenty of time to take what they want.

We have also been making many trips to Goodwill and a couple of other local charities. And we are taking pictures.

I am going to rent a truck on Monday and make my first haul to the storage building.