Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also have been wrestling with this idea but in the opposite way . We currently live on the water (Sarasota Bay ) but I am ready to downsize to a house away from the water . Our house is just too big and as we get older we want to avoid steps . Living on the water is great but salt water causes rust . We have been through numerous light fixtures and air conditioners do not last as long .I have lived in a HOA community and they are fine as long as sane people run them and not power mad retirees. My ideal house would be one story and unique with a community pool . As for friends they are easy to find if you are open and receptive to meeting new people .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

ElizabethT - I am not sure where you live in California, but in our area houses prices are going up more rapidly than most of the surrounding cities because of the tech jobs (at least until the next bust or major earthquake). So it is not just the price per square foot to look at but the past rate of appreciation or depreciation and future outlook.

Some of our friends simply can't afford to move back to the same kind of house and area. Property taxes would reset to current valuations. Plus, the house prices have gone up here much more than the house they used their one time Prop 13 benefit on.

I am not suggesting not to move. We also have friends that moved and are really happy. But if it were me I would rent first and make sure I was in the really happy camp before I gave up my house.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
We are edging closer to relocating from our current single family home, located about 20 miles from the California coastline, to a smaller, lower maintenance townhome that would put us within 4 miles of the coastline...

Advantages:
- Elimination of outside maintenance costs, which we currently accrue for at a rate of @ $10,000 per year (painting, roof, fencing, hardscaping, patio cover, landscaping, sprinkler system, plumbing from house to the street, gardener)
Don't condo association or whatever fees offset the outside maintenance savings?
Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

You had me with "just darn pretty" and then you doubled down with "I love the idea of starting our day with coffee, gazing at something, and ending it with wine doing same."

do eeeeet
Old 06-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #25

I'm pretty happy where I am. House is the right size (1400 sq-ft), nice view that will never change with development and low property tax.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I bought DH a tool that looks like a hair dryer on an extension pole from Amazon and it works great. Now he can clean the gutters himself and I guess worst case bonk himself with a dropped hair dryer sized blower, instead of falling from a ladder.
My house had 200' of gutters, most of which were 20' off the ground. I took a dive off a 30' ladder after cleaning the pine needles out.

My right ankle is held together with plates and screws. My tibial plateau fracture under my left knee was even more serious. After 7 weeks in bed, I was mostly healed. But I'll never be 100% again.

I finally removed all the gutters from the house so no gutter cleaning will ever be required.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #27

ouch, that sounds painful and maintnance items like this can influence someone to move or downsize. Things can be hired out, but it's finding someone you like for every chore, making sure they show you and paying them year after year.

We needed something done on our roof and I wanted to hire someone, but he's always done it himself. Of course he just wanted to do it instead of messing around looking for somebody to hire so he grabbed the ladder and up on the roof he went. It's done now, no harm done, but what about next time.

Everybody will face this situation as they age, with chores inside and outside of the house.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My house had 200' of gutters, most of which were 20' off the ground. I took a dive off a 30' ladder after cleaning the pine needles out.

My right ankle is held together with plates and screws. My tibial plateau fracture under my left knee was even more serious. After 7 weeks in bed, I was mostly healed. But I'll never be 100% again.

I finally removed all the gutters from the house so no gutter cleaning will ever be required.
Sorry to hear about your fall. That sounds really painful. I'll remember your story and share it with DH if his blower-on-a-pole ever breaks and he is tempted to use the ladder again.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #29

Well your pros seem to clearly outweigh your cons, so why hesitate? We downsized to a nearby gated community that includes yard maintenance. Time is money, and this move saved us a lot of time not spent on yard work and that allows for more retirement enjoyment.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Don't condo association or whatever fees offset the outside maintenance savings?
Not at this point. We have noted the following run rate expenses, not related to maintenance:

Current Monthly Expenses
$155- HOA
$60- Gardener
$100- HO Insurance
$140- Earthquake Insurance
$100- Water/Trash Bill
$20- Gym membership (Condo HOA fees would include a gym)
$100- Electric Bill
$675 Total

New Monthly Expenses w/Condo
$485- HOA
$40- Condo Insurance
$40- Condo Earthquake Insurance
$50- Water Bill (Trash included, no more yard watering)
$80- Electric Bill (Smaller unit/cooler climate zone)
$695 Total

So, we would/should be able to see a significant run rate savings via the elimination, or redirect, of our current $10,000 maintenance accrual.

We are in a pretty rock solid financial position in that we are currently withdrawing under 2.5% annually, and still have SS, two small pensions and Medicare coming online in a few years. This is really more about letting go of the fear of change, then trying to see if the numbers make sense.

Edit: Simply putting up this post, and reading through the subsequent responses has been very, very helpful. I'm feeling much better (braver?) about moving this forward.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

You've done your homework very well. Given that, seems unlikely you could make a bad decision. Best of luck.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #32

We found that some of our wants and desires changed after selling our home, storing what was not downsized, and travelling for 7/8months. And they changed again after we returned home rented a condo. We still have not bought.

Primarily because there has been a down market where we live. After several years of renting and 35 plus years of owning we may continue to rent. Owning is not such a big deal to us as it used to be. If the right property comes along we may buy but we are much fussier buyers than we were three years ago. The buy vs rent financial numbers for us are still indicating rent. This aligns with our current lifestyle and travel habits.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
So, we would/should be able to see a significant run rate savings via the elimination, or redirect, of our current $10,000 maintenance accrual.
Isn't your $10K for both inside and outside the house? When I ran our numbers I reduced the maintenance budget but I didn't put it to zero as we would still have inside repairs / upgrades even in a townhouse or condo.

This may not matter to you, but we also added likely appreciation of each dwelling to our comparisons. We also added in the transaction costs of selling and moving.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Isn't your $10K for both inside and outside the house? When I ran our numbers I reduced the maintenance budget but I didn't put it to zero as we would still have inside repairs / upgrades even in a townhouse or condo.
I agree-we have been living in a brand new home for 7 years. In that time we have upgraded the appliances, added plantation shutters, granite counter tops with new sink and faucet. We also refaced the cabinets and had all new drawers made.
The only maintenance item was replacement of the hot water heater.

Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote