Moving to South West Florida

A number of marinas rent boats in SW Florida. There are also boat timesharing clubs. It might be worth your while to rent a boat a few times to determine if you'd use it enough to make purchasing one worthwhile.

I live in SW FL and there is a great boat club down here. I used to own boats (Bust Out Another Thousand)...but sold them and joined the club.

LOVE IT.

Freedom Boat Club

The have marinas all over SW FL.

GL

Chris

Less than buying a twenty thousand dollar boat, maintaining it for five years, using it five times a year and selling it for half of what you paid for it

Less than buying a twenty thousand dollar boat, maintaining it for five years, using it five times a year and selling it for half of what you paid for it

But what if I buy that guys boat that is now $10,000 and use it once or twice a week because its docked in the backyard?

I checked the website but they didn't list cost. I'm sure if you only use the boat 5 times a year it doesn't make sense to own, but I don't think these clubs are losing money either, so there has to be a point where owning is better, and a point were its better to rent.

I imagine its similar to plane ownership. I own my plane, but I fly quite a bit, and I like knowing I can use it whenever I want and no one else has been in it. Its worth it to me, but not cheaper.

But what if I buy that guys boat that is now $10,000 and use it once or twice a week because its docked in the backyard?

+1

We bought a trailerable sailboat for about half price ($11,000) and use it at least 15 times a year. When we ER we will use it even more. Maintenance is almost non-existent since we keep it in our garage.

Just an update, we are closing on our house on May 12th. I have a condo rented at Burnt Store Marina starting on the 14th. Weather permitting, I'm going to fly my plane down on the 13th or 14th, and put it in a hangar at Punta Gorda Airport. My wife is planning to drive down on the 13th and arrive on the 14th.

We are moving out of the house on the 9th and putting the last of our stuff into storage, we will stay with relatives a few hours away till the closing.

We managed to get rid of everything that we wanted to. We have filled up a 10' x 15' storage building and are putting the rest into another. I don't think that we will have any trouble putting everything into a 26' truck. But if it wont fit it isn't going, I'm not making two trips.

We have been looking at homes for sale and it doesn't look like I will be downsizing as much as I was planning. If we buy a house on a canal it will also be much more expensive than what we got for ours. If we buy off the canal the prices would be about the same or lower. I may have to look into getting a mortgage to cover the gap until I can start tapping my IRA. Id rather not fool with the 72t option.

The wife said a motorhome or fifth wheel is not going to work, and no way in hell would she live on a boat. So those options are out.

I guess we will be spending the kids inheritance. Hopefully firecalc is accurate also. But we still will be able to make adjustments if needed.

DM:

Where did you end up buying?
Did you get your backyard Dock?

Congrats on the move and I hope it goes well.

DM:

Where did you end up buying?
Did you get your backyard Dock?

Congrats on the move and I hope it goes well.

We havn't bought anything yet, we havn't left MO. We are going to start looking at the Punta Gorda area. But we may end up somewhere else. We plan to look around for at least a few months before we chose a place.

We now have a contract on a house in Punta Gorda. It's in Burnt Store Isles, on the golf coarse. We decided that it was just not worth it to us to buy on the canal.

Here is a pic from the courtyard. We did not downsize and we spent more than we initially planned. But the wife is happy.:)

We are scheduled to close at the end of the month, hopefully everything will continue to go smoothly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 34
Congratulations on your purchase. Seems like a nice area.
MRG

Back
Top Bottom