Join Early Retirement Today

My 2000th + Post a couple of thoughts
Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 2000th + Post a couple of thoughts

I passed my 2000th post a copule of days ago. I was thinking about making these thoughts for my 2000th post but it got by me. I joined this forum in Oct 2003 and like many others I did so because I was unsure of my ability to ER at what became 52. The replies to my questions were generally helpful and considerate; made me think and it was good to know others had the same concerns. I greatly appreciated them.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-14172.html
This was my first post and Cut-Throat comment about "About Schmidt" got me to see the movie - it was scary. It still is. I have a ways to go.

I also appreciate the people on this form because of the diverse subjects raised and the various points of view presented. It is not like a “Frugal Forum” where you get a set mindset.

What I do find missing on this forum are the inspiritional, challeneges and/or phases of ER.

I don't have an idea on what to do about my comments but they make the board less interesting to me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm in Moab, Ut. and will be here for awhile biking and hiking in the area. The sun is setting, I have a beer; it is beautiful; life is good.. In this RV park there are big rigs ($250K+) to tent campers. The gas plentyful, food stores stocked with every conceiveable fresh fruit, beer wine and nationality of food. The roads are smooth and safe. The people are friendly, we speak the same language, I pay the posted prices, I can go where ever I want and feel safe. Why say the ovious? Because in many parts of this world these things we take for granted are not the norm. I love this country.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I really like this quote from the thread you linked:

Quote:
"Many of the people who seem happiest with retirement seem to have reached a point where work was getting in the way of the things that they valued doing most."
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
What I do find missing on this forum are the inspiritional, challeneges and/or phases of ER.
Dex, I really can't understand your statement here. People have shared stories of illnesses, divorces, deaths of spouses, moves, lay-offs and all their various ways of dealing with these setbacks in their own lives. As far as phases, some here are in their 20s, I and others are 60s, and there is every age between.

This is the only board I know about about where the people seem real, and that is what makes it interesting and very valuable to me.

Reagrding the USA, I agree- I love this country!

Ha
Old 04-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto on Moab (great place!), the USA, and appreciating the obvious. Let us be grateful for what we have.
headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Dex, 20s, I and others are 60s, and there is every age between.

Ha
And one that was born in 1936.

Dex appears to have things under control.

For a quick trip down memory lane, look at John Galt's advice to Dex on the thread that was inculded on his post.

Classic JG. (Don't make them like him anymore. Thank God for small favors.)
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Ah, yes. JG. A bit of undercooked potato, a bit of undigested beef...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

That was a good thread; oldies but goodies.

Ha
Old 04-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
For a quick trip down memory lane, look at John Galt's advice to Dex on the thread that was inculded on his post.

Classic JG. (Don't make them like him anymore. Thank God for small favors.)
Reading that 2003 JG post I couldn't help noting this one sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U View Post
And, of course,
we bought a small ranch in Texas which will
obviously suck up a lot of time.
2003? The same year the guy bought the old Issacs ranch just north of El Dorado?

You don't think... Oh, surely not.. Polygamist ranch turns Texas town upside down
Old 04-21-2008, 05:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Can you elaborate on what's missing? I'm a newb here but I find many to be surprisingly candid (anonymity must help).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi Dex,
I'm new to this forum. Just joined this forum yesterday. Don't know how much time I need to hit your level. Just need some encouragements from you all.

Anyway, nice to meet you all
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Reading that 2003 JG post I couldn't help noting this one sentence:

2003? The same year the guy bought the old Issacs ranch just north of El Dorado?

You don't think... Oh, surely not.. Polygamist ranch turns Texas town upside down
JG's "ranch" consisted of a condo near Lake Texoma...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I don't have an idea on what to do about my comments but they make the board less interesting to me.

Maybe starting a thread or two about this subject will start people talking about it ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't understand this statement. Are you asking us what to do with your comments?

I agree wholeheartedly about Moab. In the past couple years, it has replaced Hawaii as my destination of choice. Same applies to the Capital Reef area.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I joined in July 2006 after being retired for 4 years. So the ER focus has been of limited value to me. Plus I live in Mexico so the issues related to the US are not relevant.

But there are some interesting threads and I do like the people here...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Dex, thank you for your 2000 posts. You certainly don't waste words!

What I discovered from my retirement is that life continues with its ups and downs.

I didn't magically have my BP go down or lose weight. In fact, I gained a bunch of weight! Now though I seem to be back on track with eating properly.

I also know that I need some discipline and goals in my life or I tend toward the melancholy. Before, work provided most of both. Now, I have to be self motivating.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was in Moab just for one day 5 years ago. Been saying I would go back when I have a few days to really explore the area. Would like to visit southern Utah while I'm out that way. Got the time, just got to get moving in that direction. Maybe early fall. Post some pics of your stay if you don't mind.

As far as the forum is concerned, we all go through periods of not being very interested. If you have been a member for a few years, you see a lot of the same old questions so it's hard for the veterans to be into it all the time. That's just the way it is.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I was in Moab just for one day 5 years ago. Been saying I would go back when I have a few days to really explore the area. Would like to visit southern Utah while I'm out that way. Got the time, just got to get moving in that direction. Maybe early fall. Post some pics of your stay if you don't mind.

As far as the forum is concerned, we all go through periods of not being very interested. If you have been a member for a few years, you see a lot of the same old questions so it's hard for the veterans to be into it all the time. That's just the way it is.
Ahem: to repeat -

'God Looks After Drunkards, Fools, and The United States of America.' - for years I blamed it on De Gaul (my spelling) until someone(aka Nords pointed out it was Bismark).

Psssst - Wellesley! Actually in my 15th year of ER, my trad IRA is Target Retiement 2015.

Inspirational my butt - mountains suck, I grew up near Mt. St. Helens(aka da volcano).

Soon as gets really warm - I plan a Sunday drive across the river to someplace really flat in Kansas - and do some 360's to celebratate the joy of flatness!

heh heh heh - at little tongue in cheek, lefthanded inspirational stuff. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #18

I was a fairly regular poster on the Motley Fool REHP beginning back in 1999. I learned a lot from it and very much enjoyed it for a number of years. (I ER'd at 58 in 2003). Over time, it became increasingly political and I really got sick of it. I just checked to see when the last time I logged on was and it was February of this year. I doubt I will go back there.

I had been a member of this forum for quite a while, but rarely dropped in, but have made this my ER "web site of choice" over the last 6 months or so. I don't post as often as I used to on TMF/REHP, nor do I read as many posts, but - hey - I'm retired and I'm busy as hell! I do like the way this site is organized and although I haven't spent enough time here to have a good handle on all the posters, there doesn't seem to be as much strident posting as on TMF.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
but have made this my ER "web site of choice" over the last 6 months or so
"We're the one to have when you're not having any more of that work baloney."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dex,

In your original thread, you wrote, "It is a bit like training to climb a mountain, climbing it, reaching the top and saying now what? Is that all there is?"

Reminds me of a couple of things - Your Money Or Your Life by Dominguez and Robin, and some of Ram Dass' works (I'm thinking specifically of the first part of Be Here Now, but there are others). You familiar with either of these?

In any case, the thing is that many folks have some vision of 'The American Dream' - corner office, nice salary, executive house - all the trappings of success in our society. Once you achieve that status, you feel unfulfilled ("I thought this was supposed to make me happy, and I'm not") so you start looking for different avenues for fulfillment.

For me personally, I rather enjoy the meat of my job (as opposed to the fluff), but I don't enjoy the hours or the amount of travel.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is online now   Reply With Quote