My 2000th + Post a couple of thoughts

Congratualtions Dex...... It's been fun reading your stuff!

I'll honor your #2000 with my #3000! ;)

Aw...... Can't count. Here's number 3K!

In the basement.

Close...

We were moved to a new building to take advantage of the 300mm wafer fab. Heh... There was no room in the inn, but the top level was vacant. But they didn't want to build out the entire floor [-]since they were planning to fire us all in two years[/-], so they built a large, insulated box right in the middle of the space, and threw up some four-man cubes. The only windows were in the doors at each end. Our little penthouse suite...

19000 has to be some kind of record.

Stay tuned for the next episode of "Extreme Posting"... :p

I bet JG could have kept up, but can you imagine wading through 19k of JG... :eek:

Probably would overload the iggy function.

I had a cubicle [-]overlooking[/-] amongst a bunch of other cubicles... :rolleyes:

In a room with no windows... :rant:
I worked my way up to the coveted "cubicle with windows" environment. :angel: I suppose it's great for status at w*rk to have one of the few cubicles with windows on one side, but unless one is bucking for a promotion, who really cares about status at w*rk? It just makes some of those who are windowless feel resentful. I can see the weather, but I could see that online. Basically, it's nice to have a window and I do appreciate it, but I'd 100 times rather be ER'd for good.

564 more days should do it.

19000 has to be some kind of record.
He definitely needs to celebrate when he goes over 20,000!

The greatest benefit to being a pee-on is not having that window in the cube wall. My last boss procrastinated several months before moving into one.

Yah. When you're oriented on a long-term goal from an early age (get good grades/behave in school -> go to college -> get a high-paying job -> have a big house/expensive cars/et multiple cetera) and finally achieve it... where do you go from there:confused:

The 2nd statement of your signature line is a good clue.

Congrats Dex! I've been around a few years also and I associate your name with posts that are worth reading and generally have some meat on the bone........please knock that stuff off on the next 2000;);)

Congratulations on your 2K post. Some post because they can; others post only when they have something of value to say. You are in the latter group.

Moab and southern Utah is a unique place on Earth. I have been here over 15 years and have no plans on leaving the state any time soon. We are moving to the St George area later this year and will be better able to see more of that wondrous part of the state.

We have spent the last 10 months of our post-retirement life doing a number of things that are necessary for our future ER lives mixed in with having fun and seeing family and friends. In no particular order:

* Spent 4 months downsizing our "stuff" so we can downsize. Much of this was given away to various individuals with needs but no means and to organizations who can gain more from it than we could if we were to sell it. We are not done but are getting very close.

* Spent 2 months updating house

* Sold one motorhome and bought a new one.

* Took a 3 week trip to visit family in Cali. with grandkids in the RV while planning and executing an 80th birthday party for family patriarch.

* Traveled 10,000 miles in it to both coasts

* Adopted two dogs

* Went on a Caribbean cruise with one of our kids and their family.

* Spent over a month with my mother while she underwent several surgeries and nearly died. Time well spent to be sure.

* Somewhere in there we also managed some time for medical treatments for DW along with a few surgeries.

We now have the house on the market. We found a house and have it under contract and hope to move later this summer. Once we are moved in we plan to:

* Make some extended RV trips to family near both coasts.

* Go to school to pick up some Geology courses.

* Do some RV upgrades myself

* Volunteer some time with a local theater company.

* Tour the country around where we live in more detail.

* Do some tours of Europe

* And...spend some quality time with each other.

In a few years we will see what works for us considering our health.

After 33 years in Corporate management jobs I don't need challenges....I have enough on my plate to keep me busy for years to come.

Midpack,
This ER thing is new to most of us and we do not have many examples or a road map - it is uncharted territory. My comment is not a Type A personality desire. It is more to say I want to be challenged by others who have made the most of thier ER life. I want to see what some of them have done, learn from it and find it as a source of encouragement. Billy and Akisha come to mind but I do not feel I have to follow them exactly. But they are an inspirition.
Like Martha said, this has the makings of another great thread. I just don't think most of us got your drift from the original post. Thanks for the inspired links, most enjoyable...

I'm in Moab, Ut. and will be here for awhile biking and hiking in the area. The sun is setting, I have a beer; it is beautiful; life is good..

Sounds fantastic! Congratulations.

Dex - I went back and read your original post. My current situation is not much different than what you describe in that post and I have been asking myself the same questions you were asking yourself including "Am I nuts to walk away from this?" My situation has the added complication of living far from my family and old friends who are pulling strongly on my heart. Although I visit several times a year, it only seems to make the feelings worse. I ask myself if I'm just terribly homesick after 25 years away and I need to go "home."

How long after that original post did you retire and how did you come to your decision? Please refer me to a thread to read if you have already explained this in another thread.

Buckeye - it was July 2006 that I retired - less than 2 years! I thought it was a longer time ago. I thought it was something like 3 years ago. I feel better for some reason.

Looking back I think I am getting into my ER grove.

All I can say is don't wait too long. From my limited experience this ER is a process like many other things in life or as others have said better than me:
"You don't take the journey; the journey takes you."

I had to go back to some of my other posts to find the exact date. You might find them interesing.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/path-7-watch-space-22130.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/path-end-may-re-feeling-good-19957.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/path-6-when-men-plan-god-laughs-21347.html

. From my limited experience this ER is a process like many other things in life or as others have said better than me:
"You don't take the journey; the journey takes you."

Very well put ! I did not expect to have much of a transition as I had been cutting my work load down until it was at one or two days a week before I left for good . As long as you are working at all you still have a different mind set . I'm transitioning slowly . I haven't done all the remodeling I thought would be done by now . I haven't started volunteering yet . All in all I've been living my life at a pretty relaxed pace and find I like the lack of stress in my life . I also like the freedom . If I find a cheap airfare I buy a one way ticket to visit my Mom or my daughter and when I'm tired I come home . My So still works so I keep myself amused by going to the gym ,shopping ,reading ,swimming and just enjoying life .

Dex - thanks for the links. There was some helpful stuff in there. I'm not sure what I will do with respect to RE but I was reminded that I have never accepted, remained at, or left a job due to money and everything has always worked out wonderfully.

It looks like it took you about 2.5 years from your first email to your RE date. There were some comments in your original email about depression. Whether you were or weren't actually depressed when you made your first post, did those gloomy feelings go away once you RE'd?

An Edward Abbey description of Southern Utah:

It was the hottest, driest, sunniest, steepest, roughest, rockiest, ruggedest, reddest, least populated, most forlorn, most God-forsaken corner of the Southwest. It was the best I've seen, so far.

When visiting the national parks in that area, when coming from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, spend two days driving the loop of Jacob Lake(Az)/Page/Fredonia. Stop at the condor nursery on House Rock Valley Road, visit Lee's Ferry, tour down into Glen Canyon Dam, tour both slot canyons(our favorite) in Page, maybe take the half day river float below the dam, stop at the new fossil interpretive site in Big Water (they're finding a dinosaur a month), and the Paria/Buckskin hiker's permit booth on the way to Fredonia for directions to the #700 dirt road to the Stateline trailhead for the Arizona Trail, just to look at the distant red rocks. There is an excellent interpretive photo display screwed to the ceiling of the shade cover on a scenic lookout bench there. If you are fit (1000' vertical rise) and not acrophobic, hike up the Spencer Trail at the head of the Lee's Ferry canyon for an amazing view. As Dorothy commented to her dog, "Toto, I think we're not in Kansas anymore."

An Edward Abbey description of Southern Utah:

It was the hottest, driest, sunniest, steepest, roughest, rockiest, ruggedest, reddest, least populated, most forlorn, most God-forsaken corner of the Southwest. It was the best I've seen, so far....

:D:D
Yep! We will call it home in a month.

Not so sure on the God-forsaken part...ever been to Death Valley? Same for the hottest and driest. It is what it is and that is one of the things we like most about it. We like the rainbow of colors, the rugged landscape, the wide open spaces mixed in with mountains and the mother lode of geological history.

The population is growing at a record pace in the southwestern part of the state and has become a retiree destination. It is also about half way between kids (and grandkids) and DW's parents. It is also out of the snow belt. While it is on average 8-10 degrees hotter than where we are now it makes little difference. Once you get over 110 you can't tell the difference between it and 120. ;)

Back
Top Bottom