Join Early Retirement Today
My 2016 Work Performance Goal: Retire in June
Old 12-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
My 2016 Work Performance Goal: Retire in June

Wow...this thread reminded me of one of the reasons I retired almost 2 years ahead of ER Plan.
We had performance goals and tracking around getting our teams annual performance goals completed and in the system. Reports were sent out daily with the red/yellow/green color coding. This was at least a 2-month process. And don't get me started on the annual review and merit process. I don't miss that crap at all.
In fact, I gave my 30-day notice just after submitting my performance review/merit ratings for my managers. My Director and I couldn't agree on one of my manager's performance ratings. I rated her "exceed expectations" and he agreed she did.....but his VP didn't care for her casual attire and told him she expected me to rate her "meets expectations". BS bucket was already full.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado
For most of my time at my MegaCorp I have written my own performance review. I write it in third person and send it to my boss so she can pick and choose what she wants to use with little to no editing required. Needless to say, I've gotten excellent reviews. One year, she and I had a lot of conflict so I foolishly said "screw her, let her write it herself." That was the worst review I have ever received and it was full of factual inaccuracies. My boss is a mean and vindictive Michael Scott.

Legally_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
I had my last annual performance review yesterday. It's nice to have that completed. It went well. I like my boss. But, he didn't know it was my last annual performance review.
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #24
I hated the goal setting hassle. It was so pointless because projects would get cancelled, new projects created... I wanted to put "Work hard at whatever assignment I'm given"... since that was accurate. Boss always vetoed it. But I tried every year. Instead I had a bunch of goals created that were obsolete by the end of the year, due to decisions made by executives several levels above me...
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe
Since I have decided on my ER date of January 2018, I had a difficult time creating the expected long-term goals. Really, I had a hard time creating short-term goals, too. I haven't tipped my hand yet to let my manager know my planned exit date.

Since I was promoted with my last performance review, I threw together something along the lines of 'be proficient in the skills and tools needed for the new position' and 'contribute to the success of my new team'. Completely skipped the long-term goal. Haven't heard any complaints yet!
cat wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
My 2015 goal was to travel and relax after transitioning my associate to take over my duties. The boss changed it to several "measurables" where I would effectively set up my replacement to fail! I continued to do what was needed and prepared the staff for the year ahead.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
I smh when I see someone planning to retire on the 30th or 31st of the month, or just days before a holiday. That also conflicts with a LBYM mindset. Just the extra month of company paid health care by working the first day of the next month is worth about $1,000 by working one day in that month. Why not grab a whole extra paid month of healthcare by working on the 1st? Don't take the mindset that your making it easier for the companies accounting department or it's cleaner on the books. That's foolhardy.
I realize this is an old post, but felt compelled to address Al's generalization that folks should retire on the 1st rather than the last day of the month.

The way it worked at the megacorp where I was: Retirement checks are cut on the 1st day of the month. If you retire on the last day, you get a check the next day. If you retire on the 1st day, it is 30 days later when you get a retirement check. Health benefits are a part of the retirement plan, so coverage is seamless.

The company where I worked had an on-line retirement calculator. You could put in a hypothetical retirement day, and it would calculate the pension amount. One would expect that the pension amount would be a ramp type function, but it was not. There must have been numerous look-up tables as well as math calculations, because the amount was not a linear growth. (Not a big difference, but for an audience where we would stop to pick up a nickle on the sidewalk, it was a noticeable artifact.)

My pension has a reduced survivors benefit. This was obviously a lookup table. The amount changed an appreciable amount during the month of DW's birthday. After her birthday, but before mine, she is 1 year older than me. After my birthday, before hers, we are the same age. (Using integer values.) My birthday is in June. If I retired the end of June, the pension would be less than if I retired the end of May. If I retired the end of November, it was a decent step up relative to the pension amount on the end of October.

For mid-level management, there was a 2nd tier bonus that was dependent on being employed on the 30th of April. Thus, my logical retirement date was either 30 April or 31 May, for a spring type date. The fall date was 30 November. If I stayed a few more weeks you got into a lot of paid holidays, plus my new vacation year. So it really didn't make much sense to go between 30 November and 30 April. A number of years before I retired, I knew my retirement date would be either 30 April or 30 November. I just had to figure out what year!
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado
Short term goal: Leave work by 5:00

Long term goal: Be home by 5:30
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
Clone: In that case it would make it fine to retire on last day of the month. But look at the 2016 retirement thread. The median age is 55. There are few pension and retirement benefits in that bunch. Most of us are basically just resigning. Thus first day of the month in most states is like getting close to a $1000 bonus. I know for me it is. I could use the extra months free family health benefits.

Ohio INTJ ENG ER Hopeful
Al in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
Al- every place is a bit different. Where I worked, the pension kicked in at 80 points. So, if you were 23 when you started, you could go at 52. A few went when they hit 55 (401K withdrawal). I went at 58. The company still as a pension plan and retirement healthcare. Not as good as the plan that I retired under, but still a very viable plan.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OP here, so now I have to fill out my mid-year update to the performance review form. Mtg with boss next week to discuss. It is really hard to get motivated to even fill in any of the BS crap. At least I don't have to hide my disdain for the process, but unfortunately still do have to fill out the form.

Also, while my title for the thread says retire in June, it does look like I will convert to part-time and be going to a 3 days/week schedule. So it does not mean full retirement yet, but the P/T will allow me to sort of transition for a while. The biggest reason to keep the P/T is for the health insurance, but of course I am not going to work for free! Just be saving less of my paycheck, while at the same time not withdrawing from any savings during the P/T work duration.

I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote