Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My 2016 Work Performance Goal: Retire in June
Old 12-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had the fun(??) of having to do my 2016 work performance goals. Besides the normal megacorp BS, which at this point I just tell boss to let me know what he wants it to say, I have serious DGAS (don't give a sh!t) attitude now anyway with less than 6 months to go to my target date of June 2016. In the career development box I put "Convert to part-time or retire in June"

Not sure if my boss really thought any of my hints of me working because I want to were serious, but he does now. My co-workers could not believe I really put that on my 2016 performance form. It is now formally accepted and in the system with those words for my career development.

I really am considering the P/T mainly for insurance reasons. At 3 days/wk P/T I can get same insurance co-pay as current F/T, and it would be a lot less than I would pay compared with my former employer retiree health program. Difference is like $800/mo for DW and me to stay on current employer subsidized vs my former employer retiree plan. Both are good health insurance, not the crappy ACA super high deductible plans. It would also let me put off a year or two of living off savings withdrawal, although I would not be saving as much as currently, may even have to cut back to just minimum to get company match on 401k. DW already went to a P/T type position at her work.

So I am not sure if the P/T will work out, have to see what boss comes back with as potential job assignments. Also not sure if that is OMY syndrome? I guess it kind of is, although I would be able to do a lot more of what I want in retirement: more and longer RV travel, working in garage on my old cars, working around house, and spend more time growing my home-based very small business. The home based business is mainly for tax write-off now, could be better tax write-off if I could spend more time on it. My P/T plan would get a lot of the benefits of retired, but it would mean still technically working.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
....Both are good health insurance, not the crappy ACA super high deductible plans. ...
If you're healthy, you'll probably find out that that a HDHI plan probably costs a lot less than your super duper plan even after the deductible and co-pays.

The pricing of many silver and gold plans is designed so you're just paying for the deductible in installments whether you end up using services or not.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #3

Feels good, doesn't it?
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

I just put down on mine, "Help out on projects where I can provide value".

Be sure to understand the advantages of staying until ~7/5/2016. Pensions sometimes take 1,000 for another year. July 1 you get July benefits, which may include over a day of vacation. July 4th is a holiday if you get paid on the 5th.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
gone traveling

When I pulled the plug, just cut to the chase and said I am retiring at the end of April, so will not be completing my performance plan for the year.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
When I pulled the plug, just cut to the chase and said I am retiring at the end of April, so will not be completing my performance plan for the year.
That's easier said than done, at least it was for me.

I was going to retire in May (2015) and my manager called me in Feb and insisted on doing the performance plan and goals for me for the year. I said it was a waste of time, and she insisted we had to do it because we had to "dot the i(s) and cross the t(s)". What can I say? I put away my work for 30 minutes and went through this process with her. I wanted to leave Megacorp on a good note. But I never spoke to my manager after that review; she didn't call me and I didn't call her.

I suppose I should have sent an e-mail to Dilbert's creator so he could make use of another example of the idiocy in corporations.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

Be sure to understand the advantages of staying until ~7/5/2016. Pensions sometimes take 1,000 for another year. July 1 you get July benefits, which may include over a day of vacation. July 4th is a holiday if you get paid on the 5th.
Appreciate the comment, but my current job has no pension plan. However, along the lines of your thoughts I do have a vesting period that will qualify about mid-May 2016. Therefore the June target date. That mid-May gives me the 3 years credit that is required for the vesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Megacorp does not have that flexibility, I have to submit a 2016 plan. So my comment about the DGAS for the corp BS stuff just to fill in the form. You know all those wonderful "support the corp, division and department goals and milestones", "shape the future", "build and maintain effective relationships", "energize the team", "model personal excellence"....... (where's the barf smiley)

Old 12-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
H In the career development box I put "Convert to part-time or retire in June"

Not sure if my boss really thought any of my hints of me working because I want to were serious, but he does now.
Curious, what was his reaction when he saw it? Has he said anything?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Had the fun(??) of having to do my 2016 work performance goals. Besides the normal megacorp BS, which at this point I just tell boss to let me know what he wants it to say, I have serious DGAS (don't give a sh!t) attitude now anyway with less than 6 months to go to my target date of June 2016. In the career development box I put "Convert to part-time or retire in June"
I love it! Now THAT had to make your day, I'd imagine.

Good luck in achieving your plans to semi-ER or ER in June. It's going to be a great summer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
Curious, what was his reaction when he saw it? Has he said anything?
Boss and i had already had limited discussion prior about P/T, this was first I actually defined a June deadline. He said he has brought P/T up to higher mgmt and they are "working on it".

I sincerely did not do it as a threat, a 3 days/wk schedule would allow for doing a lot more retirement type activities, although not fully. If the P/T dopes not work out, then fully retire in June is fine with me also. As I stated the real reason would be to keep current health insurance, not really because having to work for the money. But it would allow for delaying the withdrawals for 1-2 years. No way I want to do P/T more than 2 years.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
<snip.>
...Megacorp does not have that flexibility, I have to submit a 2016 plan. So my comment about the DGAS for the corp BS stuff just to fill in the form. You know all those wonderful "support the corp, division and department goals and milestones", "shape the future", "build and maintain effective relationships", "energize the team", "model personal excellence"....... (where's the barf smiley)
The barf smiley made me laugh out loud !
Old 12-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I once wrote my performance objective as follows: "Save enough to retire early". I don't think anyone actually read it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Gosh, it sure is nice not to have to go through all that Performance Humbo Jumbo. When I had a bunch of people working for me, it was torturous doing all that paperwork.

And it's nice that 38Chevy has taken time and efforts to establish some really good hobbies for retirement.

And I'm sure glad that my wife doesn't take time to give me a Performance Review. I'd be put on probation immediately, as she expects more out me than my MegaCompany did.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
I really am considering the P/T mainly for insurance reasons. ...
Careful! P/T can be a slippery slope.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Boss and i had already had limited discussion prior about P/T, this was first I actually defined a June deadline. He said he has brought P/T up to higher mgmt and they are "working on it".

I sincerely did not do it as a threat, a 3 days/wk schedule would allow for doing a lot more retirement type activities, although not fully. If the P/T dopes not work out, then fully retire in June is fine with me also. As I stated the real reason would be to keep current health insurance, not really because having to work for the money. But it would allow for delaying the withdrawals for 1-2 years. No way I want to do P/T more than 2 years.
I hope it works out for you!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #16

All that plan and goal stuff is just a hazy memory these days. End of January I will be retired 9 years.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Appreciate the comment, but my current job has no pension plan. However, along the lines of your thoughts I do have a vesting period that will qualify about mid-May 2016. Therefore the June target date. That mid-May gives me the 3 years credit that is required for the vesting.

Megacorp does not have that flexibility, I have to submit a 2016 plan. So my comment about the DGAS for the corp BS stuff just to fill in the form. You know all those wonderful "support the corp, division and department goals and milestones", "shape the future", "build and maintain effective relationships", "energize the team", "model personal excellence"....... (where's the barf smiley)
And here I thought I was in the minority with idiotic megacorp. 2 months left to go for me. A real IDGAS attitude for me as they don't yet know I'm going. I'm waiting for notice of the required performance review with 2016 goals to be completed in next couple weeks, going to follow your example. [emoji6]
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Even after 8 years away from this stuff, I'm getting daymares from this thread.
ITTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

That's my date to retire for all the same reasons. I smh when I see someone planning to retire on the 30th or 31st of the month, or just days before a holiday. That also conflicts with a LBYM mindset. Just the extra month of company paid health care by working the first day of the next month is worth about $1,000 by working one day in that month. Why not grab a whole extra paid month of healthcare by working on the 1st? Don't take the mindset that your making it easier for the companies accounting department or it's cleaner on the books. That's foolhardy.

Oh and 38chevy... Describe your bosses reaction when he realizes what you wrote.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy this strikes a chord with me. I did my plan also and like you, there's no option to "not do it". Mine read something like "continue to provide support and guidance where needed".

I'd love to go P/T, I think. Our rules don't allow it. You have to be gone 12 months and then be rehired as a contractor. Funny, I see it happen occasionally immediately. Shows you that some managers know how to break the rules.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote