Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My stepdaughter and her husband own a larqe beauty salon here in the big town of Houston. It's a real money machine ($$$ and they make sure to spend all that income! $$$).

I would be curious to hear what you ladies spend on cuts/styles/coloring, etc at your salon (just as a frame of comparison). Now, if you don't want to broadcast that cost, that's OK too.
I don't color my hair and all I get are haircuts at Supercuts. They cost $13.95 for a "Senior Cut", plus $2 tip = $15.95.

Last year I got my hair cut three times (Feb, May, Dec) so the total for 2013 was $47.85 for three haircuts.

So far this year I have not had it cut and I am thinking of just letting it grow. We'll see. It depends on whether it starts to look awful or not.

When I was in the accumulation phase and doing some heavy LBYM'ing, I used to cut my hair myself. That is so tedious, though, and it takes a long time for me to do it right. Now that I can afford it I pay to have it cut for me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't color my hair and all I get are haircuts at Supercuts. They cost $13.95 plus $2 tip = $15.95.

Last year I got my hair cut three times (Feb, May, Dec) so the total for 2013 was $47.85 for three haircuts.

So far this year I have not had it cut and I am thinking of just letting it grow. We'll see. It depends on whether it starts to look awful or not. When I was in the accumulation phase and doing some heavy LBYM'ing, I used to cut my hair myself. That is so tedious, though, and it takes a long time for me to do it right. Now that I can afford it I pay to have it cut for me.
My DW cuts mine as she was in the business years ago. Although, lately she is saying "I am not doing a good job on your hair anymore. maybe you can find a barber to cut it".... (I have a very full head of hair with no balding). I guess she is "really" working on retirement!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
My DW cuts mine as she was in the business years ago. Although, lately she is saying "I am not doing a good job on your hair anymore. maybe you can find a barber to cut it".... (I have a very full head of hair with no balding). I guess she is "really" working on retirement!
Maybe so!

I used to cut my ex's hair when he was in the Navy. He always got awards for looking sharp at inspections, so he was very picky. I hated cutting his hair! Your wife probably does too, even though chances are that you are not as picky as my ex was.

I was never in the business, so that is probably why it takes me forever to complete a haircut.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I used to cut my ex's hair when he was in the Navy. He always got awards for looking sharp at inspections, so he was very picky. I hated cutting his hair! Your wife probably does too, even though chances are that you are not as picky as my ex was.
At my age, I am glad to get it cut and really don't look at it critically afterwards. I think she is just tired of it all. Maybe I'll go to the barbershop in town and see how it goes. Couple of my buddies go there and say they have female barbers...
Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not exactly sure but it would be in the range of over $100 and up to $200. The way it's done in these places (at least in the Big town) is the shop owner hires cosmetologists on a contract basis and each one gets to keep a % of the cost of the service they provide.
Prices vary by the region of the country an extreme amount. Where we are the price will double or triple just by going into a more exclusive neighborhood.

Each state controls the type of compensation allowed I.e. commission as you describe is not allowed in this state. Here a cosmetologist must be an owner or rent a booth from the owner. Other states booth rental is not allowed and commission is the standard.
MRG
Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
At my age, I am glad to get it cut and really don't look at it critically afterwards. I think she is just tired of it all. Maybe I'll go to the barbershop in town and see how it goes. Couple of my buddies go there and say they have female barbers...
Frank goes to an old time traditional barber, but they seem to be dying out around here. Every time he finds a good barber, the barber retires or dies. So good luck in finding one. I have been trying to get him to go to Supercuts, but he wants an old fashioned, normal men's haircut and he is skeptical when I tell him they can do that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Prices vary by the region of the country an extreme amount.
Back when I was working, in 2002 or 2003 I guess, I did an informal survey of about 20 women at my workplace by asking them where they got their hair done and what the cost was. They ALL colored their hair, which amazed me because I didn't realize it at the time. The minimum any of them was spending at the hairdresser was an average of $180/month including tips. They sure looked great, though!

All of them really kept up with the color and went in a lot to have it touched up or whatever.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Frank goes to an old time traditional barber, but they seem to be dying out around here. Every time he finds a good barber, the barber retires or dies. So good luck in finding one. I have been trying to get him to go to Supercuts, but he wants an old fashioned, normal men's haircut and he is skeptical when I tell him they can do that.
Yeah, Supercuts, they are here too. Talk about old time barbers, when I lived in Connecticut in the late 70's, early 80's, I used to get my hair cut at the Oxford Post Office which was run by two barbers: Post office in front room, barber shop in back. That was a hoot as when someone came in to buy stamps, etc, the barber would have to stop cutting and go tend to the customer.

On track, the big beauty shops here have dozens of chairs and really are busy. A shop rum by a Vietnamese group just opened in the town where I live and it too, is crammed. I guess the economy is good here.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's a really nice Japanese lady who cuts my hair. She's just down the road and does a perfect job. I tip her like 30%. She always fits me in.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #30

When I first got to town (undergrad), I had a part time job and one of the other guys had what I thought was great hair. I asked him where he got it cut? He told me and said, "ask for this stylist. She puts her breasts in your face!". I went there and it turned out there was a bar next door. The owner would go over and buy drinks to bring back! Heaven!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Katsmeow, are you certain we are not sisters? I've been dyeing it myself for 30 years, with perhaps 6-8 times having it done at a salon.
If this works, there will be two photos.
Here for all are my options:
I think it looks great in both photos!

If it was me, I'd go for the look you feel most comfortable in, and that requires the least care. I am thinking that would be the shorter, grayer look of the second photo. You look terrific! The first photo also looks fabulous but it looks like it would require a lot of maintenance.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #32

I keep mine straight and shoulder length. I used to dye it myself and then saw how much nicer and more natural others' hair color looked from a salon. I told my hairdresser to make it as close to my natural color as she could with some highlights that would make the gray sort of fit in as it grows. I have to color it 4x a year and it looks so much better than the job I was doing. She charges 110 to color, highlight and cut my hair. I like the idea of short hair, but I feel really uncomfortable and strange with short hair. I doubt I will change it, since I can put it up or down and it's easy.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pay $95 every five weeks for a trim&color
. My hair is reddish brown and short. I would go gray if I knew I would be a silver gray not mousey brown with dull gray.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #34

I pay $40 (including tip) every 5-6 weeks for a haircut. I have always had short haircuts (somewhere between pixie and just above the shoulders, usually around chin-length). My hair has some natural curl, so now on days when I'm just hanging out, I use a gel spray and scrunch it up while it's still wet and it looks like it's messy on purpose. Otherwise it's a 5-minute blow dry with a curling iron touch-up if it's a bad hair day.

I've been using Clairol Natural Instincts "hot cocoa" shade since my sister introduced me to it quite a few years ago. About 4 years ago the stores here stopped carrying that shade but I found it on drugstore.com and just order 4 boxes at a time (or enough to get free shipping if possible). I color every 4-6 weeks. My hairdresser has never pushed me to do professional color - she actually comments on how great my hair looks and feels with the home color on it. I've decided that when this no longer works well enough, I'll let it go gray.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have very black thick straight hair and exercise a lot. All my new hair grows out white in color and my hair grows very fast. I like my hair not too short and not too long - when it touches my shoulder, it's time to cut. So for time saving and financial purposes, I cut and dye my hair in the salon every quarter. Between quarters, I dye the roots myself. I ask my hairdresser to layer cut my hair so that it is lighter at the bottom and dries faster as I wash it everyday.