Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Ally

It is refreshing to know that while there are things to do they are mainly things YOU want to do not things someone else wants you do do

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I can feel the Sunday Night Blues even BEFORE the weekend arrives. This weekend is a three day weekend with Independence Day, but I'm already thinking about how bad Sunday Night is going to suck. Isn't that pathetic? Well, eight months and counting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 07-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I woke up early this morning (5:00) and got up had some breakfast. In 20 minutes I will get my son up for his summer j*b. 20 minutes after that, I will go back to bed! I love it! DW and I are planning on letting our natural clocks take over to see if we get better sleep.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first dread-free Sunday is today.

It's been a month now and I'm gloriously happy. No stress at all. I still get a call occasionally from work about who to call or what regulation applies to a problem, but I don't mind. The lady who was promoted to my job is beginning to see the additional stress. I told her that she needs to start saving a whole lot more money, so that if she decides to retire early, she can. A week later she called me back to say that she and her husband did a LBYM budget and are going to start saving several thousand dollars more each year.

I do set my alarm so I can get up and walk for 45 minutes or so before it gets too hot. But I don't mind getting up for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wonderful, Ally, congratulations.
I haven't decided just when I will retire but I do know that my favorite part of the 'off work' schedule is indeed getting to get up as early as I want to... or as late as I want to if necessary.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:16 AM   #46

That stop watch on 60 minutes used to churn my stomach as well.

Now I love Mondays! So great when the drones go off to work and let me shop and travel with ease.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
That stop watch on 60 minutes used to churn my stomach as well.

Now I love Mondays! So great when the drones go off to work and let me shop and travel with ease.

Yes, I only shop on weekdays now. It's a whole different experience not facing crowded stores and traffic.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Yes, I only shop on weekdays now. It's a whole different experience not facing crowded stores and traffic.

+1
Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ally,

Congratulations!

I was late seeing your post, but am very happy for you. Three years into my retirement and almost every Sunday night, I sigh with relief - remembering how Sunday evenings used to feel.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #50

It's Sunday? Oh yeah, I can see the paper in my neighbor's driveway is the "fat one".
Old 07-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #51

My favorite thing about retirement. No more Sunday angst!

Old 07-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #52

I can look forward to PBS in the evening and then fall asleep with no sinking feeling in the stomach!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm staring out at the Salish Sea right now...saw orcas out in the channel this morning and witnessed a seal give birth on reef just out front not 3 hours ago. Then watched a bald eagle steal the placenta and take it back to its nest. Then another eagle showed up and seemed to have designs on the seal pup itself. But the mother defended its offspring with determination that was inspiring. It took her about an hour to coax her baby into the water for its first swim. I watched them frolick together in the kelp beds...magical stuff.

And to top it all off, I don't have to go back to the city and back to work tomorrow...or EVER. Even after 10 months of ER, I still want to pinch myself.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #54

Beautiful story, Sea kayaker. I'm a bit jealous.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Old 07-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, very day is Saturday except for Sunday. . Dance!!!

Old 07-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

the tradeoff of having dreadfree Sundays is no more fabulous Fridays. But it's worth it.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
It's been a month now and I'm gloriously happy. No stress at all. I still get a call occasionally from work about who to call or what regulation applies to a problem, but I don't mind. The lady who was promoted to my job is beginning to see the additional stress. I told her that she needs to start saving a whole lot more money, so that if she decides to retire early, she can. A week later she called me back to say that she and her husband did a LBYM budget and are going to start saving several thousand dollars more each year.

I do set my alarm so I can get up and walk for 45 minutes or so before it gets too hot. But I don't mind getting up for that reason.

My favorite time to walk is early morning too, same reason. I was curious where you lived and checked your profile. It says your retirement year is 2016! I guess you beat your own goal by a year. Congratulations!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I'm staring out at the Salish Sea right now...saw orcas out in the channel this morning and witnessed a seal give birth on reef just out front not 3 hours ago. Then watched a bald eagle steal the placenta and take it back to its nest. Then another eagle showed up and seemed to have designs on the seal pup itself. But the mother defended its offspring with determination that was inspiring. It took her about an hour to coax her baby into the water for its first swim. I watched them frolick together in the kelp beds...magical .....pinch myself.

Wow amazing stuff seakayaker. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
My favorite time to walk is early morning too, same reason. I was curious where you lived and checked your profile. It says your retirement year is 2016! I guess you beat your own goal by a year. Congratulations!

I'm in West Texas and we have had a cooler wetter summer than usual, but still it's often in the 80's by 10:00 am and sunny. I try to walk from 8:30 to 9:15 or so.

And yes, I couldn't take the stress at work anymore. One more year didn't seem possible to do!