Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My first dread-free Sunday is today.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first dread-free Sunday is today.

I retired Friday and this is the first time in more than thirty years that I'm not dreading Monday. Even on vacation, I knew they might call me with an emergency as soon as the week began. I hope the other two or three who retired June 5th, too, are as happy as I am!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #2

Congratulations. Tomorrow will be even better when you don't have to get up and go to work. Enjoy.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 30 days away, myself. On Friday July 10 I retire after working 43 years. I try to not think about too much at work. It would make me crazy. I just stay focus on doing a good job and not screwing up.
Blueskies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I retired Friday and this is the first time in more than thirty years that I'm not dreading Monday.....
Congratulations!!!

Enjoy your new-found freedom. I am 5 years behind you, and sometimes it feels as though the day will never come. I love reading posts like yours, because they remind me that it will happen.

Now go out there and have a kicka$$ retirement.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

re dread-free Sundays....

You realize you have left the rat race far behind when you don't even recognize that it is any kind of Sunday.

I have been "out" for 6 months now and that has happened to me...
Old 06-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh yes, a life devoid of Sunday night dread is a most wonderful thing. Probably in my top 5 best things about ER.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #7

Thanks, everyone. I know it will be great to sleep in. I never thought it would get here. I had a countdown on my phone that started with 940 work days left. When it got to zero, it felt like a miracle!

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #8

Interesting. I just retired 5/15, and haven't even thought in terms of a "dread-free Sunday". Probably because my calendar is full with pent up projects, so I'm just as busy as when I was w*rking. I probably don't feel any kind of major shift because I have been and will be busy with these major projects until the end of the year (bought new car, sold old one, house to be remodelled, etc.). I also have way too many lucrative offers to consult a few hours here and there and the pull is really strong, so that may happen, too.

I suppose I have a sense of freedom now, perhaps even accomplishment, but beyond that nothing major (it is nice getting to go to my favorite coffee place every morning as opposed to only when I had a day off, and it's also nice to not to have to run to the gym in the morning on the way to w*rk).

The biggest thing I've noticed was how much I was tolerating w*rk, just to get to the end. It's reinforced this feeling that I'm probably tolerating living in Southern Calfornia, and will feel much better when I leave in less than 5 years. Never to return.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #9

How nice. Is it Sunday?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #10

Congrats, it only get better, trust me on this.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
gone traveling

I never had this feelings about Monday. I love what I do.

But increasingly I feel going to work is waste of time and I could be doing better things with my time.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!!!!!

I used to get a stomach ache when the "60 MInutes" stopwatch began ticking on Sunday evening!!!!!

When I retired, on the first Monday afterwards, I DID get up, make coffee while the Weather Channel babbled in the background, switched to CNBC for an update, then watched out the window as those poor UN-retired left for work and drove past my house in the cold dark snowy morning ( my first Monday was January 7 here in the Northeast)!!!!

It was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! I walked around the house for an hour just saying "I'm retired! I'm retired!! I made it!!!"

Then I went back to bed !!!!!

Remember...you will only have ONE 'first Monday after retirement" (even if Monday was NOT your first day of the work week!!!!) so SAVOR IT!!!!! Revel in the feeling!!!

Or.....not!!!!.

Do what YOU want to do!!!!!.....You earned it, and for me, after 2+ years, it STILL feels GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations and ENJOY!!!!!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #13

I can't say that I ever dreaded Mondays, I liked my job. What I did dread was the alarm going off at 0430 hours. And the traffic. Hated that.

So it is nice now to sometimes wake up slightly at maybe 0600, decide there is nothing important enough to get up that early for, and go back to sleep until 0800 or even later.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #14

Congrats! Now you will have that feeling every day!

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #15

Congrats Ally -
I had that Sunday evening dread. I hated it because it was a sign that w*rk was invading MY time (weekend.) But it happened. It was extra bad when I had early AM conference calls with India on Monday mornings at 5am.

I'm still a slave to the alarm clock because of the kids - but it is really nice not to have that sunday night dread.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, Ally! I can't wait. My husband and I are retiring together end of December. I don't have a countdown, but I know how many weeks it is! Enjoy your Sunday evening and especially Monday morning!
SDHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sundays are so great now. :-)
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! Soon you will be saying this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.9 KB, 463 views)
Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! I have come to absolutely LOVE Mondays..they are GREAT!

Tomorrow will be a special Monday for me as I have to be in downtown Atlanta pretty early. I plan on leaving the house at 6 AM to beat the rush hour. I have to admit that I'm going to enjoy NOT going to w+rk...and will probably take a little joy in seeing the misery on the w+rker bees faces. I know, that's wrong of me and I promise to feel at least a LITTLE guilty for it.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #20

Congratulations!!
Tomorrow is NOT Monday. It is 1st Saturday.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote