Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Do all of the above healthy living things and, most importantly, make sure you have good genes!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Somehow, I fear Alzheimer more than other diseases, but this woman came down at 69, not a young age.

I know plenty of people who died in their 40s or 50s from cancer or heart attack. Those people would say living till 69 is not so bad.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

I saw an article the other day citing marijuana as a deterrent for early onset Alzheimer's. I haven't looked into it myself so take that with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Cool! so it's just pot induced short term memory loss, not Alzheimer's. Excellent!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Here's a study with some interesting results. From what I can see the treatment is multi-modal - combination of live-style habits and existing supplements. There is no breakthrough drug or miracle cure from what I know. But I do admit that I do not have the education to understand all of the treatment details.

The treatment included minimizing carbs, reducing stress, improving sleep habits, exercising, and a variety of supplements, most of which I have never heard of. Note the last sentence in the quote.

Aging

Quote:
Of the first 10 patients who utilized this program, including patients with memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease (AD), amnestic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI), or subjective cognitive impairment (SCI), nine showed subjective or objective improvement.

One potentially important outcome is that all six of the patients whose cognitive decline had a major impact on job performance were able to return to work or continue working without difficulty.

These anecdotal results suggest the need for a controlled clinical trial of the therapeutic program.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I just looked at a map of countries with the lowest dementia rates and I don't think any of them, including countries like India, North Korea, Somalia and Thailand, are known for eating Paleo diets, so I would also question the Perlmutter conclusions. Many of the countries on the bottom of the list would likely have ethnic peasant kind of diets. So I could see eating less processed foods as a factor since most of the low incidence countries also tend to be less developed.

Here is the map:
ALZHEIMERS/DEMENTIA DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY

We have a neighbor we would run into walking our dogs, and he started introducing himself to us every time we saw him, which was 2 -3 times a week.

I don't expect the countries in Grey to have high Alzheimer's rates. The lifespan is fairly short in comparison to wealthier countries. In fact, most of the countries with high rates are wealthier.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #27

Also, since healthcare and record keeping are pretty much limited and of poor quality in much of the world, I don't believe those numbers are likely to be accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn't count on mental stimulation warding off dementia. Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan both had it, and they seemed to have pretty challenging jobs. [Mod Edit]

With my mother, we found that she became much more alert after we moved her into a retirement home where she could socialize with other people, but the dementia continued to advance.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

That statistics of Alzheimer's death rate by country is very interesting. Yes, developed countries have higher rates of Alzheimer and also that of cancer, but these are old-age diseases so they go with higher life expectancy.

Here's an exceptional outlier though: Singapore. Its Alzheimer death rate is 0.19 per 100,000 vs. 45.6 for the US. Life expectancy? Singapore is at 82.2, while the US is 78.7.

Singapore has very strict laws on illicit drug use. It also bans chewing gum. Perhaps non-consumption of these add to the Alzheimer-proof ability.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Cool! so it's just pot induced short term memory loss, not Alzheimer's. Excellent!

I guess I set myself up there calling it marijuana?? Okay- Cannabis oil, the same stuff that is used by cancer patients and other people with life altering disabilities, may prevent Alzheimer's. It's not "pot" and you don't smoke it. Look past the propaganda and check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
I wouldn't count on mental stimulation warding off dementia. Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan both had it, and they seemed to have pretty challenging jobs. [Mod Edit]

With my mother, we found that she became much more alert after we moved her into a retirement home where she could socialize with other people, but the dementia continued to advance.
My parents were both physically and mentally active. Ate properly, didn't smoke, drink. Avid golfers, fishermen, played bridge, reading. Dementia found them both.

Not saying it's a bad thing to do but don't count on it.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My only recommendation, and I'm at least half serious about this, is to enjoy life to the fullest
eat a healthy diet
•maintain a healthy weight
•exercise regularly
•don't drink too much alcohol, smoke too much Pot.
•stop smoking (if you smoke)
•make sure to keep your blood pressure at a healthy level

These are two posts from above are not mutually exclusive.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

There are some recent neurobiology studies that point toward infections throughout life creating the blood/brain barrier plaque that causes Alzheimer's disease. Googling Alzheimer's and infections results in lots of links, but I have included just one as an example.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/he...tion.html?_r=0

If this eventually is found to be credible, our current belief that dementia runs in families may lead us more to the finding that infections and viruses are more prevalent in certain families, and how they can be avoided. I'm also very curious as to what role antibiotics may or may not play in all of this.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

A golf friend's wife was just diagnosed with dementia. Seems like it came on fast with her. But her mother had it so not surprising. She's 70. I hate it for her as she enjoys golf and doing lots of things. Only been retired a couple of years.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Learn another language! Especially languages that use a different alphabet.

There is zero evidence that eating grains contributes to dementia. There is, however, lots of evidence that scaring people silly with made-up claims is good for book sales.

Touche.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #36

I'd rather have died younger with my personality intact. Dementia is existence, not living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Somehow, I fear Alzheimer more than other diseases, but this woman came down at 69, not a young age.

I know plenty of people who died in their 40s or 50s from cancer or heart attack. Those people would say living till 69 is not so bad.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
I don't expect the countries in Grey to have high Alzheimer's rates. The lifespan is fairly short in comparison to wealthier countries. In fact, most of the countries with high rates are wealthier.
Age may be a factor, but cancer rates are higher in developed countries as well:

Comparing more & less developed countries | World Cancer Research Fund International
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My only recommendation, and I'm at least half serious about this, is to enjoy life to the fullest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
eat a healthy diet
•maintain a healthy weight
•exercise regularly
•don't drink too much alcohol, smoke too much Pot.
•stop smoking (if you smoke)
•make sure to keep your blood pressure at a healthy level

These are two posts from above are not mutually exclusive.
Except you left out part of my post -
Quote:
and make sure to do things that have a good chance of killing you quickly instead of withering away. If it doesn't work, at least you had a good time before it gets you.
Since the goal was to avoid dementia or Alzheimer's, not to live a long and healthy life.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
this woman came down at 69, not a young age.
Bite your tongue, whippersnapper!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
There are some recent neurobiology studies that point toward infections throughout life creating the blood/brain barrier plaque that causes Alzheimer's disease. Googling Alzheimer's and infections results in lots of links, but I have included just one as an example.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/he...tion.html?_r=0

If this eventually is found to be credible, our current belief that dementia runs in families may lead us more to the finding that infections and viruses are more prevalent in certain families, and how they can be avoided. I'm also very curious as to what role antibiotics may or may not play in all of this.
I find this facinating!