Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My one year "trial retirement"
Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My one year "trial retirement"

It's one month completed of my "trial retirement"...and I am loving it! Did lots of travelling the first month. This month living in a travel trailer near a river where we canoe/kayak. Peaceful, serene, near bike trails too. I will get lots of reading done.
Next month we will move into our condo and for the next ten montsh live the "downsized" life in a vibrant city on the ocean; walking distance to just about everything. Doing more travelling as well during that time.
Eleven months from now I will return to work, but I will have a much better idea of how I want to retire, where I want to retire and how much money I will need to retire and live the lifestyle of my choice.

I've always worked since age 14 either part-time as a student or full time. Being able to sleep in every morning if I wanted was kind of a strange feeling at first. I kept waking up at my usual 5 am, as my previous job I was out the door before 6am, so it is a hard habit to break....but ...ahhh...I am getting used to it now
Frugalityisthenewblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
gone traveling

Ah, looks like your doing some very good pre-RE planning. While I'm not retired yet, I am on that same wake up go to work schedule as you and wonder if I will ever be able to sleep in once retired. Enjoy your next 11 months!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived out of my suitcase the first month, travelling. We're living in a 22 foot trailer next month (176 square feet) then to a 1,000 sq feet condo. Already I am thinking for my permanent retirement I will be buying a different place. One with a second bathroom. During my retirement I will want to be able to have guests stay...and only one bathroom is sometimes inconvienient for a two bedroom place.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took a year off way back in 1990 (age 40 at that time) to decide what I wanted to do for the rest of my working life. Lived in a coastal city in northern California (O.K. just south of San Francisco) Long bike rides and walking on the beach and hiking many coastal trails took a lot of my time. Over the course of that year I came to realize that what I wanted to do with the rest of my working life was not working it. I reoriented everything to ER and fortunately at age 52 was able to do it. Highly recommended.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #5

Hey "Marg", are you from down east or did you move there for this early retirement ? I ask because we are considering early retirement in a year and a half and are casting around for different low cost areas in Canada (currently in the GTA).
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I can highly recommend Halifax as a retirement destination. I bought a two bedroom condo (new) there about three years ago, paid 230,000. It is 10-15 minute walk to a very vibrant pub/music scene. DH is retired, so we will keep a place in Ontario (until I retire at least). We are both from Ontario and found Nova Scotia a favorite holiday destination . The great outdoors and ocean are at your doorstep. Reasonable taxes (I think), nice parks, nice people. A big city with a small town attitude...very multicultural too...Lots of different ethnic restaurants.
Grocerys, beer, gas is more expensive than GTA...But I plan to walk most places have an urban garden.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #7

I do like Halifax and enjoy visiting (a friend used to live there). Will you be there during the winters though ? Bone chilling. And somewhat isolated in the fact that is a long drive or airplane ride to get out of the Maritimes (don't get me wrong.. that could be a plus or minus !!) As Ontarians, what made you choose that instead of a lower cost are here (if that is not to nosy).
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Koogie,
The 'Fax has the best trad music scene this side of Dublin, if you're into celtic music. And I am! Every night of the week, winter or summer. So winter's are enjoyable there for me. When I retire permanently I intend to travel south during the coldest months and be a snowbird.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I do like Halifax and enjoy visiting (a friend used to live there). Will you be there during the winters though ? Bone chilling. And somewhat isolated in the fact that is a long drive or airplane ride to get out of the Maritimes (don't get me wrong.. that could be a plus or minus !!) As Ontarians, what made you choose that instead of a lower cost are here (if that is not to nosy).
I am from Halifax as well. Probably colder in Ontario during the winter, as the ocean acts as a heater to some extent. Most retirees I know have saved up, maybe , 35K and purchased a second winter home in Florida anyway
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an aunt who lives near Halifax and she was always able to harvest vegetables out of her garden long past when the frost killed everything in Ontario, so I noticed , yes the winters are milder due to the ocean effect. I used to think I would have a second home Florida or Texas, now I think I will just rent, and leave the options open where I go each year.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave
I am from Halifax as well. Probably colder in Ontario during the winter, as the ocean acts as a heater to some extent.
I spent several years in Halifax and don't remember the winters as being particularly bad. All in all it is a nice place to live.