Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Natixis Report: Best countries to retire in 2014
Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Natixis Report: Best countries to retire in 2014

This report was just published.

Natixis Global Retirement Index | Natixis Global Asset Management

Switzerland tops the list, followed by Norway. There is a preponderance of Western European countries at the top, weighted by high healthcare ratings and generous pension schemes. The US is 19th.

I don't think this ranking would be helpful for someone looking to move in retirement. You have to pay into pension schemes over time before you become eligible to benefit. And many if the top countries have a high cost of living. If quality of life in retirement is a determining factor, it's best to choose your country early in life.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This report was just published.

Natixis Global Retirement Index | Natixis Global Asset Management

Switzerland tops the list, followed by Norway. There is a preponderance of Western European countries at the top, weighted by high healthcare ratings and generous pension schemes. The US is 19th.

I don't think this ranking would be helpful for someone looking to move in retirement. You have to pay into pension schemes over time before you become eligible to benefit. And many if the top countries have a high cost of living. If quality of life in retirement is a determining factor, it's best to choose your country early in life.
Interesting. US SS is actually a pretty generous benefit, it's certainly a lot better than the UK equivalent. Health care expense is obvioulsy a big factor holding the US back as it costs so much more in the US when compared to other developed countries.

Being a US/UK dual citizen I have the option to retire in the US or almost anywhere in Europe without having to worry about visas. I've always had a plan to return to the UK one day, but looking at the list maybe Iceland would be fun. I've spend a few vacations there and its an interesting place.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

As a dual citizen of Canada (#14) and Ireland (#24) I have lots of options too. If I move anywhere it would probably be back to Ireland. However, becoming a non-resident of Canada would mean a huge tax hit and the cost of living in Ireland is about 15% higher. So I am likely to confine my travels to short term jaunts.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I've always had a plan to return to the UK one day, but looking at the list maybe Iceland would be fun. I've spend a few vacations there and its an interesting place.
Iceland sounds cool. I have read that is a very difficult language to master. Is English spoken extensively there?
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Iceland sounds cool. I have read that is a very difficult language to master. Is English spoken extensively there?
Yes, almost everyone speaks English. They love it when you try to say a few words in Icelandic though. My Icelandic is limited to "Thank you", ordering beers and " hello, do you speak English?" and that was plenty.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Being a US/UK dual citizen I have the option to retire in the US or almost anywhere in Europe without having to worry about visas.
There are some EU linked locations in the Caribbean as well -

IUCN - EU Outermost Regions and Overseas Countries and Territories Programme

The rules seem a bit murky to me between overseas territories, outermost regions, etc, but I think places like St. Maartens would be the same EU passport wise as if you wanted to live in France or the Netherlands.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

St. Maartens or St. Martin would be great places to live. Especially if you like plane spotting!

May 28, 2011 - Uploaded by ClipWingsCom
A summary of a day at famous St. Maartens "Princess Juliana International Airport" back in ...

I visited it in 2012 on a Caribbean cruise. Our tour guide was an ER American who enjoyed having a part time job. He had recently become a citizen of the Netherlands but was able to retain his US citizenship as well. His wife goes to the US once or twice yearly for cancer checkups.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
St. Maartens or St. Martin would be great places to live. Especially if you like plane spotting!
Plane spotting! Another activity we could add to our what to do in ER list.

I have never been to St. Maartens but from watching House Hunters International and online research it is on our short list of places to check out.

And thanks for the retirement index link. I have been looking over the paper already.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post

In Reykjavik and the other bigger towns almost everybody speaks English. I did not find it much harder to pick up phrases etc. than other languages. Reykjavik is a great city , but I think I'd want to snowbird for at least a month each year if I was retired there.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
it's best to choose your country early in life.
Even more important, choose your parents wisely.
That's quite a list. I consider Switzerland and Norway to be horribly expensive places.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Even more important, choose your parents wisely.
+1. The first of many important choices we need to make and take credit for.

If I were to live elsewhere it would not be another first world country. They all have slightly differing quantities of the same basic ingredients. Developing countries, OTOH, can offer a real escape from the boring predictability of modern developed society.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote