Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Navy eliminates the "R" word
Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Navy eliminates the "R" word

I don't know how the other services do it, but every quarter the Bureau of Naval Personnel sends us retired guys their "Shift Colors" newsletter. Page 3 is always a short note from the Chief of Naval Personnel telling us how much he honors us (unlike when we were on active duty and treated as fungible depreciating chess pieces).

Here's VADM Hoewing's verbatim musings:
"I wanted to share my thoughts with you on the transitions that occur during a Navy career and why I want to stop using the word "retirement" to describe the final transition in Naval service.

I have long felt that there are three major transitions during a Navy career, each marking changes that bring new challenges & opportunities, all linked to create a career and a lifetime of service.

The swearing in when you put on your first uniform [...] is the first transition. (Skip a few sentences.)

The second transition is the career decision point... it's the waypoint where your job either becomes a career... or you take the education, experience, fond memories, and put them on your resume as "military experience." (Skip more text.)

The third transition is going ashore, an expression full of meaning to those of us in the sea services. Those who have never been in the Navy may look on this as simply leaving a job, but for those of us who have been at sea the term "going ashore" conjures images of bringing the ship back to port, sounding liberty call, and walking down the brow to our families. Going ashore for the last time marks the transition out of uniform. We may no longer wear the uniform every day, but the Navy remains in us and lives in that special bond between shipmates. Many of you continue direct service by supporting Navy organizations and therefore directly supporting the men & women in service today.

That is why 'retirement' is not the right term to describe the transition in our service. Retirement implies the end, and transition describes the passage from serving in uniform to a life guided and formed by your Naval service."

While I agree with the penultimate paragraph's sentiments, I don't know how his staff let him get away with his conclusion. He just finished 34 years of service and he's probably in his mid-50s. If he retired transitioned tomorrow, VADM H would immediately start drawing a $110,000/year pension that includes a COLA and TRICARE Retired healthcare. Any bets on whether he'll ever REALLY transition... or just find another job?

If you're wondering why I read this rag it's for the reunion announcements. But now I'm eagerly anticipating the next edition of "The Newsletter for Navy Retirees Transitionees".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Navy eliminates the "R" word
Old 07-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reminds me of the old "ex marine" rant.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Haven't they been trying to lure retirees back in active duty? Maybe this is part of that campaign to get people back on board...

Perhaps the new theme song should be: "Today's Navy, you can check out but you can never leave" (sung to the theme of Hotel California).
Old 08-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Haven't they been trying to lure retirees back in active duty? Maybe this is part of that campaign to get people back on board...
It's not just the Navy, the Army is feeling the crunch also. You know it's bad when they have to bring the Army Chief of Staff out of retirement to fill that slot. Although I think that was because no other 4 star wanted the job under the current regime.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
It's not just the Navy, the Army is feeling the crunch also. You know it's bad when they have to bring the Army Chief of Staff out of retirement to fill that slot. Although I think that was because no other 4 star wanted the job under the current regime.
Flag officers tend to be a pretty competitive bunch. I'm sure that even retired Vice Chairmen of the JCS kick themselves every day for not making it to Chairman. So when the phone rings and those old competitive juices start flowing again...

Russ Graves' retired officer survey. (He doesn't use the "transition" word.)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote