Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

need a good computer countdown timer
Old 07-30-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

need a good computer countdown timer

I need to find a good countdown timer for my retirement. It's now < 1yr out.
One for my home MAC, and a more subtle one for my pc desktop at work. : )

I want one for work so, when I get all stressed and people are badgering me over schedules and nonsense, I can just look at it and smile inside.
: )

Good ideas?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's best not to have one. If it's there, time will feel like it's going slower. Without it, you'll lose track of time, and then maybe a week or a month will go by before you remember and it will feel like it's going faster. Maybe with a week or month left just make up a calendar with the last month and start crossing out the remaining days.

If folks badger you or get you all stressed, just walk away, and take a break. What are they going to do, fire you? At this point, if they lay you off and give you some kind of severance package it's probably even better for you.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #3

I was one of the first people to cancel the "day planners" we all used to get at the office, and put my calendar online, but for this, I'd get a wall or desk calendar and mark the beginning of each month or even week "[X] days left!" This is one instance where even I believe that technology does not improve the experience.

And congratulations!
Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I had one of the small digital countdown clock.... was given by DW. (Not always advisable to have a big calendar with X's crossings off the days). I'd printed out a calendar, reduced it to size for my planner, and had countdown in the corner edges of the days (total days/days of actual work).

couldn't have put an app on the work computer... IT was very strict...they were even the only ones who could set up printer services, much less any apps

agree with above poster that just having on computer wouldn't have been as emotionally satisfying
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have mine in Excel and put all of my vacation days and holidays in there so I just look at how many more days I have to work. BTW its at 57 more working days till Jan 2020.

=TODAY()

=NETWORKDAYS.INTL()
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #6

I had an app on my phone - there are many to choose from. I think mine was "Days Until" or something like that. I have a group of friends and coworkers who frequently asked me how long I had left and I'd just flash the screen at them.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I looked at a number of count down tools but in the end, I just used Excel. I'd bring up the "days to retirement" file and it would automatically enter the new date (the date of that day) and calculate the days, weeks and months remaining.

I think it took me less than 10 mins to setup an Excel file to do that. Pretty simple.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote