Join Early Retirement Today

Need another medical reason to ER?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Need another medical reason to ER?

http://www.healthcentral.com/PrintFo...cfm?id=1505395

Deadline Pressure Raises Heart Attack Risk

People under intense deadline pressure are six times more likely to have a heart attack than those who don't face such stress, Swedish researchers conclude from a new study.

Intense immediate stress appeared to have more of an impact on heart attack risk than stress accumulated over many months, scientists at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm said.

They studied 3,500 people ages 45 to 70 who had suffered a first heart attack. About 8 percent of the participants had experienced a traumatic work-related event the day before their heart attack, according to an account by Bloomberg News.

For women, a change in financial status tripled their heart attack risk, the researchers wrote in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. Men were six times more likely to have a heart attack after taking on more work-related responsibilities, the scientists said.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Need another medical reason to ER?
Old 12-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As I see it, this is not a reaso to retire early per se, it is reason to try to get intense deadline stress out of your life.

There is a polarity on ER boards. You either suffer and work till you drop at a job that is numbing and dangerous to your health, or you ER and scrimp to get by, or you are very lucky and cash in your options, or buy the next Dell, etc

Another possibility is to find a decent job. It is certaily easier for a young family to make do on a smaller salary in a job with less stress, than to have a breadwinner quit.

The economic system will have to give at least some support to it's workers. The rentiers on the other hand can be thrown to the lions.

I always figured that inflation was the machine by which savings were stolen. Retired people, young or old, can't take the risks that working people can. So they have to have a good portion of their savings in fixed income. If they start to get away from that, there will be a crash to sink some of them, and remind the rest of the risk they were ignoring. Inflation indexed instruments change this equation. I will be very interested to see how this works out. At first glance, it gives the hoi polloi too much. No idea how the treasury ever came to offer them. Maybe it was cocktail hour?

Mikey
Old 12-14-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I always figured that inflation was the machine by which savings were stolen.
Also pensions.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Inflation indexed instruments change this equation. I will be very interested to see how this works out. At first glance, it gives the hoi polloi too much. No idea how the treasury ever came to offer them. Maybe it was cocktail hour?

Mikey
Mikey,
You _did_ actually earn that money once, remember? Don't sell yourself short -- you worked hard within the capitalist system so you're due something. (you aren't hoi-polloi!)

But at 2-2.5% real yields, TIPS aren't exactly knocking the stuffing out of the ball, either. And you have to pay taxes on the inflation adjustment every year, don't forget.

One thing about the (less certain) expected yields in a diversified but risky portfolio is that the SWR models are designed to get you past the worst case or near worst case scenarios. Your portfolio has, let's say, a 90% chance of outperforming that worst case. So you've got a fighting chance of ending up with lots more capital 30 or 40 years from now.

In contrast, when you lock into the TIPS approach, assuming you can live on the 2.5% real yield, you also ensure you'll never have any upside to your capital.

So my view is that you are buying that downside protection -- and as such, TIPS have their place, but they aren't exactly a gift.

ESRBob
Old 12-16-2004, 08:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, I really do have a medical reason to retire, after 3 back operations, my employer said enough is enough, see ya later. Don't shed any tears for me though. Aside from a bum spine, life is good, 50 yr old and still loving life, at my own time and my own pace.............Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #6

Irony! I really had few no obvious medical "issues"
when I semiretired in 1993. A pretty healthy 49 year old. One of my primary reasons to quit was the fear
that advancing age and ailments would curtail my
activities before I had a chance to jump ship. Since
then (11 years) I have developed quite a laundry list
of problems (nothing terminal as far as I know).
Anyway, it was kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy in my case.
The other irony is that I had once considered applying for SS disability but decided you had to prove you were
only one step from turnip status to qualify. Now, I have
been out of the workplace so long they informed me I
am no longer eligible (for disability). I understand the reason, still, irony again.

JG