Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
An underground cave with some cool toys.

Without bats.

Seals, dolphins, otters and orca's swimming around the cave exit would be nice though.

Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #62
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
An underground cave with some cool toys.

Without bats.

Seals, dolphins, otters and orca's swimming around the cave exit would be nice though.
Nice touch! Well, as long as they are wild and do not have to be fed or taken care of.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Only buy from places with a great return policy, and don't buy something new until you've returned the LAST thing you bought.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."
seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #64
How about a helicopter camper? Winnebago had six built, mostly as a PR/advertising move.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado
A few years ago I read an essay regarding how our spending habits are insanely manipulated, controlled, and how the marketing machine permeates our lives. It was written in 2010 by a writer named David Cain at Raptitude. It literally changed me in ways that still resonate in my daily life...for example I rarely watch TV anymore. The essay is called "Your lifestyle as already been designed." Here are a few paragraphs I cut and pasted from the essay (you can read the entire essay on his blogsite, look under Archives, July 2010:
"As technologies and methods advanced, workers in all industries became able to produce much more value in a shorter amount of time. You’d think this would lead to shorter workdays.
But the 8-hour workday is too profitable for big business, not because of the amount of work people get done in eight hours (the average office worker gets less than three hours of actual work done in 8 hours) but because it makes for such a purchase-happy public. Keeping free time scarce means people pay a lot more for convenience, gratification, and any other relief they can buy. It keeps them watching television, and its commercials. It keeps them unambitious outside of work.
We’ve been led into a culture that has been engineered to leave us tired, hungry for indulgence, willing to pay a lot for convenience and entertainment, and most importantly, vaguely dissatisfied with our lives so that we continue wanting things we don’t have. We buy so much because it always seems like something is still missing.
Western economies, particularly that of the United States, have been built in a very calculated manner on gratification, addiction, and unnecessary spending. We spend to cheer ourselves up, to reward ourselves, to celebrate, to fix problems, to elevate our status, and to alleviate boredom."

If you want to go fast, go alone
If you want to go far, go together
~African proverb
WestcoastRN is offline   Reply With Quote