Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
DW needs to limit the volume of coffee because it irritates her stomach. So she likes to add milk to an espresso shot. She would prefer lattes but they are more trouble to make. The Starbucks pods (we have a Verisimo machine) are $1 and not always easy to get.

Are there any deals on Nespresso pods or are they always 70 cents?
I ordered a 120 pack of "Bestspresso" capsules from Amazon for $40, which brings the price down to .33 per capsule. I'll have a chance to compare them to the OEM line that came with the bundle, but Amazon has over 1,000 reviews with a 4.5 star average rating.

I made three shots this morning, so at .70/capsule for the OEM brand that gets a bit expensive for me. Hopefully the third party brands will be good enough that I'll just stick with them.

Nespresso is having a 35% off sale on their own machines right now, which seems like a decent deal. Or just wait until Friday and order from Best Buy at 40-50% off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ordered the Pixie combo from Amazon. It looks like everyone is selling these for $180 and they claim this is the Black Friday price. I’m curious to see if the price goes lower on Friday. Now it’s time to research capsules.

We’ve been thinking about getting a Nespresso for a while and have picked up a strong coffee habit after our summer travels, so this might actually save us some money.

Between this and the Apple Watch, reading this forum is getting pricey. Fortunately, I’m probably still way ahead thanks to all the great financial tips.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I ordered the Pixie combo from Amazon. It looks like everyone is selling these for $180 and they claim this is the Black Friday price. Iím curious to see if the price goes lower on Friday. Now itís time to research capsules.

Weíve been thinking about getting a Nespresso for a while and have picked up a strong coffee habit after our summer travels, so this might actually save us some money.

Between this and the Apple Watch, reading this forum is getting pricey. Fortunately, Iím probably still way ahead thanks to all the great financial tips.
A Nespresso machine and an Apple watch - what a great Black Friday combo!

I've had three cups of the "BestPresso" coffee now. Two ristrettos and an intenso. I really can't tell the difference between these and the Nespresso branded capsules that came with the machine. They all taste great. Maybe I'm not enough of an espresso snob to notice the difference, but at .33 per capsule I see no reason to buy the name brand.

I'm used to drinking 12 ounce mugs of coffee in the morning, and now I'm running about 3.5 ounces through the capsules, plus about 2 ounces of milk, so my beverages have gotten much smaller. I'm still getting used to that, but the taste is amazing.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only if it comes with Penelope Cruz...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Nespresso Machine?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #25

Nespresso Machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Thanks for all the feedback!

Any feedback on the third party vs Nespresso brand of capsules? The Amazon reviews are all over the place on whether the third party ones are any good. It seems the Gourmesso and HiLine are the most popular.

Ready; We switched to Nespresso from Keurig about 2 years ago and have not looked back. IF it is important to brew one cup at a time then Nespresso is the best in the moderate price macine category. The coffee is hotter than Keurig, one of my main complaints and the flavor ismore robust. Gourmesso and Hi-Line are the best sources for pods that I have found, with Gourmesso edging out Hi-Line (both from a cost and variety standpoint) even without discounts and free shipping which are regularly available. So perhaps .48-.54 cents per pod before a -10 to 15 percent discount and free shipping.

But it is important to note that the Lungo is not a full cup(8 oz). I happen to like Latte so I bought the machine with a frother and the lungo with milk is a full cup of coffee and my morning ritual.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post

But it is important to note that the Lungo is not a full cup(8 oz). I happen to like Latte so I bought the machine with a frother and the lungo with milk is a full cup of coffee and my morning ritual.
What machine did you buy? I'm thinking of this as a gift for DW who also likes Lattes.

I found one machine on Amazon that might be what you described (Pixie Espresso machine with Aerrocino): https://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-Esp...YMDD51C1HE2Q9X

And here is a YouTube demo:

I think one can make hot chocolate too with the frother.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, thatís the one I bought. They offered to beat the Macyís price by $10 if I purchased today.

The mall was dead.
We just had it delivered today. the lattes and cappuccinos were very good.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #28

So how you make pumpkin spice lattes with these?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Ready; We switched to Nespresso from Keurig about 2 years ago and have not looked back. IF it is important to brew one cup at a time then Nespresso is the best in the moderate price macine category. The coffee is hotter than Keurig, one of my main complaints and the flavor ismore robust. Gourmesso and Hi-Line are the best sources for pods that I have found, with Gourmesso edging out Hi-Line (both from a cost and variety standpoint) even without discounts and free shipping which are regularly available. So perhaps .48-.54 cents per pod before a -10 to 15 percent discount and free shipping.

Good to know - I was looking at the Gourmesso line and will probably order that on the next round. So far the Bestpresso line has been excellent. I really can't tell the difference between the Bestpresso and the OEM capsules that came with the unit.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #30

Quote:
What machine did you buy? I'm thinking of this as a gift for DW who also likes Lattes.

I found one machine on Amazon that might be what you described (Pixie Espresso machine with Aerrocino): https://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-Esp...YMDD51C1HE2Q9X
That's a great price for the Pixie machine with the frother. If you just want the Pixie machine without the frother, Target has it for under $100, but today only because of their 15% Cyber Monday sale.

https://www.target.com/p/nespresso-p...e/-/A-14575814
Old 11-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's a great price for the Pixie machine with the frother. If you just want the Pixie machine without the frother, Target has it for under $100, but today only because of their 15% Cyber Monday sale.

https://www.target.com/p/nespresso-p...e/-/A-14575814
The Inissa seems to be about the same hardware and goes for $129 with the frother. Link here: https://smile.amazon.com/Nespresso-I...s=inissia&th=1
Old 11-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #32

Quote:
The Inissa seems to be about the same hardware and goes for $129 with the frother. Link here: https://smile.amazon.com/Nespresso-I...s=inissia&th=1
That's the one I bought with the frother for $89.00. It's $110 today at Target.

https://www.target.com/p/nespresso-i...r/-/A-52208742
Old 11-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I would certainly choose Nespresso over K-cup. They are better, IMHO.

But, there is a much better way...

Get one of the machines that you fill with water and beans, push a button and it grinds and makes a cup of fresh coffee - anything from espresso to a full cup.

Like printers it is the price of the consumables that cost the most in the long run. While these machines are expensive, you can buy 2 and 3 pound bags at places like Costco and get a great cup of coffee that is better than the best pod or cup machine. My estimate is at about 1/5 the cost of those cups/pods.

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-ESAM...espresso+maker

Or if you are one of those people who just can't seem to spend enough in retirement:

https://www.amazon.com/JURA-13626-Ju...so+maker++jura

I have had a Jura for 8+ years and it works very well. Italian design, Swiss made - a great combo, IMHO. And I'm sure I have saved the price of the Jura in beans as compared to those expensive cups and pods that make inferior coffee.

Oh, my Jura allows the use of pre ground coffee also, which comes in useful when a friend wants a cup of 'decafe'.
Received our E8 Jura last week and absolutely love it. After having enjoyed the espresso in Spain last two trips the Nespresso just wasn't getting it for me. Cleaned it, tried different blends, just wasn't the same. I will say the Jura requires more TLC than I expected (primarily if you use it for frothing milk drinks) but it is way worth it. Still grind beans in burr grinder for drip in the morning, but the ability to get an afternoon espresso exactly to my taste is worth the price which was rather absurd. Very popular with guests at Thanksgiving; fire it up and just push buttons.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #34

Quote:

And here is a YouTube demo:

I think one can make hot chocolate too with the frother.

We bought the Citcz with Aerocino frother I think. The frother is sold separately so any machine of preference could be bundled with the frother if the model of choice doesn't come bundled.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Pixie Espresso with frother for DW. It was about $155 and on cyber-Monday but is higher today. Will be excited to see DW's reaction as she isn't expecting that sort of thing. I usually get her perfume or earrings or something to wear at REI.

Thanks to everyone here who discussed this Nespresso machine.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #36

Quote:
I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Pixie Espresso with frother for DW. It was about $155 and on cyber-Monday but is higher today. Will be excited to see DW's reaction as she isn't expecting that sort of thing. I usually get her perfume or earrings or something to wear at REI.

Thanks to everyone here who discussed this Nespresso machine.
Congratulations! That's a great price. When I started looking at machines last week the Pixie bundle was around $280. It's amazing how much the prices dropped for BF weekend.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Received our E8 Jura last week and absolutely love it. After having enjoyed the espresso in Spain last two trips the Nespresso just wasn't getting it for me. Cleaned it, tried different blends, just wasn't the same. I will say the Jura requires more TLC than I expected (primarily if you use it for frothing milk drinks) but it is way worth it. Still grind beans in burr grinder for drip in the morning, but the ability to get an afternoon espresso exactly to my taste is worth the price which was rather absurd. Very popular with guests at Thanksgiving; fire it up and just push buttons.
I may graduate to one of these machines if I find that I'm using the Nespresso machine enough to justify it. While I agree that the taste of the beverages from the Nespresso are much better than my Keurig machine, I'm finding that the optimal size cup is only about 3-4 ounces. I'm used to drinking two big mugs of coffee each morning, so when I drink the Nespresso beverages I feel like I'm missing something. A few sips and I'm finished. I'm still getting used to that.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #38

I have a 10 year old Krups espresso machine that makes a great cup of coffee for me. I fill up the metal basket with the amount of coffee that I need for a single cut. Or two cups if I'm willing to go only 6 oz. It shoots the water through at such a high temperature that extract all of the oils from the grinds. I have discovered that it's more the quality of the bean and the temperature of the water than anything else. The Nespresso virtuline is great for those who want to pop it in, run off to the shower, and come back as you do not have to turn the machine off afterwards. But now that I'm retired I have plenty of time to just come back a minute later and turn it off.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm... Never really understood this. Paying so much for what seems to be fancy instant coffee....

We have been very happy with a machine we bought years ago. A DeLonghi machine that grinds the beans for each cup and actually brews an expresso or Americano at what amounts to pennies a cup. And all these proprietary technologies to keep you from using your machine with a non-branded coffee really puts me off. To each their own..

I do like that Aerocino frother, though...
Old 12-06-2017, 02:59 AM   #40

We went to the Nespresso store today and bought the Lattissima+. We went there intending to buy one that made regular coffee but after tasting the drinks made by the coffee vs espresso makers, we decided to go with one of the espresso varieties. Picked the Lattissima since it will automatically make a cappuccino or latte. Picked the + model as it was the smallest of this line and our kitchen is not that big.

They didn't have the machine in stock in the silver so we have to wait until we receive it. Can't wait! But now we need new cups ... our coffee mugs aren't going to cut it for espressos and cappuccinos!