Join Early Retirement Today

Re: NET WORTH FOR ONE'S AGE
Old 01-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

http://www.mississippi.org/retire/

What do you MS guys think about the recommendations the above site gives?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This is only one person's opinion, but....

Years ago I was stationed at Columbus AFB, just outside Columbus, MS. I grew up in East Texas, which I had been led to believe was "just like the rest of the South" and was similar in both appearance and mindset to everthing between my hometown and the Atlantic coast of Georgia. Not true.

After living there for just over a year, I clearly understood the parting remarks of my commanding officer as I left. "When you get past the Mississippi state line, be sure to set your clock ahead....100 years."

To each his own, but not for me.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #63

100 years eh? Guess I would feel right at home then

JG
Old 01-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Gary,

The end of 2004 saw us come in at about the equivalent of about US$ 1.45 million, possible of that a little with the recent market dip.

The wife and I are 36 now, with a 1 year old daughter.

That net asset sum constitutes only those real assets in property, securities and other investments such as physical gold (but not personal jewellery) and a few "collectibles" (which are worth less than 20k or so overall.)

For all personal asset calculations, I consider an asset to be "worth" to me only the sum that will sit in cash in my bank after it is sold. Therefore, property is "worth" the sum of current sale price LESS all transaction costs, stocks are worth quoted prices less brokerage fees on the sale etc.

As far as what counts towards net wealth and what doesn't, use the "kidney test" - i.e. I have a kidney which is worth 10k to someone who needs it, but is it truly sellable? If you could and would sell it, then it is an asset, otherwise it isn't.

Just my view.

Simon888
Old 01-31-2005, 07:26 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is only one person's opinion, but....

Years ago I was stationed at Columbus AFB, just outside Columbus, MS. *I grew up in East Texas, which I had been led to believe was "just like the rest of the South" and was similar in both appearance and mindset to everthing between my hometown and the Atlantic coast of Georgia. *Not true.

After living there for just over a year, I clearly understood the parting remarks of my commanding officer as I left. *"When you get past the Mississippi state line, be sure to set your clock ahead....100 years." *

To each his own, but not for me.

REW
If you grew up in East TX, then I'm sure you remember the incident in Jasper, where a black man was dragged behing a pickup truck until dead.

I have lived and worked all across the South, from TX to VA. There have been problems in race relations
all over the country, not just in the South. Some of the most racist people I have known were from Detroit and Chicago.

Mississippi is not my native state. I have seen a lot of progress in race relations during the past 50 years and there remains a long way to go, even now.

I don't mess with TX and don't you mess with MS.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:37 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I don't live in one of the reommended retirement cities, but live within an hour of several. There are only three of those that I have not visited. If you want some culture and college sports, try Oxford, Starkville, or Hattiesburg. You see that Jackson is not listed, for a number of reasons that I won't go into here. It should be easy to rent a place for a few months and see what it's like. I moved here from another southern state many years ago and cannot see myself leaving.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:50 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wish you people would quit talking about Ms - too close to home in La. After this Dammed Yankee(me) - we don't need too many more - the place will get too crowded.

I remember in the 70's when Slidell, La and someplace in Arizona (Prescot?) went back and forth for no. one in the nation for new housing starts.

Move to Nevada - I have relatives outside Reno - nice place.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #68
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

I have lived in Meridian, MS most of my life and plan to retire here. For a city of 40k people, you can't beat the health care. Three hospitals that serves east MS and west AL. But if I were considering relocating to MS I would consider Hattiesburg. The city is slightly larger than here and has alot more going on. *Several golf courses, Univ of Southern MS located there and very nice subdivisions at affordable prices. 2 hours from New Orleans and about 2.5 hours to Destin, FL. Good location to retire. Thats my pr statement for the day! 8)
Old 02-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...There have been problems in race relations all over the country, not just in the South.
Polloloco, my post made absolutely no reference to race relations in MS. I'm not sure what triggered your response.

My point was simply that I found life in MS to be significantly behind the times and not necessarily in a positive way. It is not an area that I would choose as a retirement destination. Admittedly, my experience is dated by several years, but things don't change very rapidly in the Deep South.

Not messing with MS, just stating my opinion.
REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net worth