Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Nevermind, I'm staying in San Diego
Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Laurence, what part of Wisconsin are you visiting and what type of property would you like?

Far north tends to be very nice in early September. Nights can be cold. Less bugs. But heat waves are not unheard of in early September.

Lake property has become very expensive in Wisconsin. We used to blame the FIBS. (F----g Illinois Bastards).

I am not all that familiar with central and southern Wisconsin. I do know the northern part well. Country is sandy, lots of forests and lakes. Very beautiful and suited for many outdoor sports.

Which one is farther (further?) north, Tomah or Wassah (sp? -Trombone Al is frothing at the mouth at this point), because I always get it mixed up, but the clan is in the further north one. Yeah, if I moved there, it would have to be lake front, I'd have to "live the dream". I already have a house in the burbs.

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Wausau is further north than Tomah. On the Wisconsin river which runs through downtown and Rib Mountain state park is next to town. Been there a few times and know the owner of Granite Peak Ski Area (on Rib Mountain).

Nice place.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wausau is further north than Tomah. On the Wisconsin river which runs through downtown and Rib Mountain state park is next to town. Been there a few times and know the owner of Granite Peak Ski Area (on Rib Mountain).

Nice place.

Thanks! Looking forward to the trip. We really like her grandparents, but we ah, don't factor that into our equation for whether or not to retire there.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Laurence--If you're looking at buying, it might be worth taking some time to look at river front properties in Wisconsin. I think they are often overlooked by out of staters, so they don't get bid up as high. Also look at fixer-uppers. Lots of handymen in Wisconsin that would work on your place for modestly discounted rent. You could retire to a fully paid for mansion when you're ready.

--Greg
Old 07-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm, good thoughts, now pardon my ignorance, but out here in So Cal our rivers run 3 months a year and you can step over them. These rivers large enough for a power boat?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Well, you'll probably love Thailand then MJ.
tozz,
I kinda feel the Thai weather will be agreeable with me most of the time. I don't mind hot temps but I prefer 80s over 90s anytime with lower humidity.
I just check the weather, in Bangkok it's 90 w/ 75% humidity and Chiang Mai it's 81 w/ 84% humidity. It's only 9 am.
When I go to the gym 5 times a week, I spend 15 to 20 minute in 115 degree hot steam room before I shower. I hope that will get me a little used to high humidity.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #27

Hey, great start MJ.* Ramp up slow.* Once you get up to 18 hours a day in the gym steam room, you'll be ready for Bangkok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I spend 15 to 20 minute in 115 degree hot steam room before I shower. I hope that will get me a little used to high humidity.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Hey, great start MJ. Ramp up slow. Once you get up to 18 hours a day in the gym steam room, you'll be ready for Bangkok!
Gee, I thought 15 hours would be enough to make me humidity ready.

Bangkok, 86 degrees w/ 84% humidity, as of 7:30PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #29

Hey Nords,
I have heard but never experienced that the trades stop in Hawaii for about two weeks each year. Any truth to that? Probably makes it sweltering.

I love heat and can tolerate humidity. Tropical is wonderful. Despise cold weather, and you can't say I didn't give it a try. Lived on Hokkiado, Japan for 15 months and also up in Portsmouth, NH for awhile. The NH locals kept touting the 4 seasons. Hah! It was winter one and winter two to me.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:28 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Hmmmm, good thoughts, now pardon my ignorance, but out here in So Cal our rivers run 3 months a year and you can step over them. These rivers large enough for a power boat?
Oh yes. BIL lives on the Flambeau river in Wisconsin. You can take pontoons on the Flambeau. There are swimming beaches. You can water ski on the Flambeau.

There are many rivers in Wisconsin. Some are great for kayaking or canoeing with lots of white water. But there are plenty of big rivers too.

Greg will take you out on the dirt bikes exploring (after he and the bike recovers from their accident).

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh yes. BIL lives on the Flambeau river in Wisconsin. You can take pontoons on the Flambeau. There are swimming beaches. You can water ski on the Flambeau.

There are many rivers in Wisconsin. Some are great for kayaking or canoeing with lots of white water. But there are plenty of big rivers too.

Greg will take you out on the dirt bikes exploring (after he and the bike recovers from their accident).

Awesome! I'll be there around the 5th of September!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #32

Laurence,
I love SD especially LaJolla.
What is going on with the city government (pension funding stripper-gate) ?
Do they really now have lap-dance touching? Affecting you any yet? I mean the city budget.

DanTien
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Laurence,
I love SD especially LaJolla.
What is going on with the city government (pension funding stripper-gate) ?
Do they really now have lap-dance touching? Affecting you any yet? I mean the city budget.

DanTien
We are so embarrassed by this scandal, I mean, how do I show clients a good time when there's no touching?

Seriously, the law is still in place, two council members going to jail, mayor resigned, it's a mess. Oh, and now our House Rep is a crook, too. Rep Duke Cunningham (R-CA) sold his house a couple years ago to the President of a Military Contractor, who sold it a year later for a $700,000 loss (in this market) and then had a major contract awarded his company by the committee Duke sits on. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Duke says that he's innocent of any wrongdoing, but in the interest of his constituents, he will not seek reelection.

But the weather is nice here.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Awesome!* I'll be there around the 5th of September!*
I love Wisconsin (former LT resident). Packers, cheese, beer, woods, water,
good fishing, great hunting. In my case, you have the Mississippi on the west, Lake Michigan on the east, and Lake Superior to the north. What's
not to like? Bugs and snow? Seriously, nice place but the politics are way
too far left for me. OTOH, that is true just about everywhere

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:08 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Hey Nords,
I have heard but never experienced that the trades stop in Hawaii for about two weeks each year.* Any truth to that?* Probably makes it sweltering.

I love heat and can tolerate humidity. Tropical is wonderful.* *Despise cold weather, and you can't say I didn't give it a try.* Lived on Hokkiado, Japan for 15 months and also up in Portsmouth, NH for awhile.* The NH locals kept touting the 4 seasons.* Hah!* It was winter one and winter two to me.
Ooooh, yeah.* Kona weather almost every September, sometimes October, and occasionally August.* It's usually only for a few days but it ain't pretty.* Temps ooze up into the low 90s and without the trades everything just cooks.* Sometimes the Big Island's Kilauea vog blows over to lend an interesting haze (with incredible sunrises/sunsets).* We go surfing & stay in the shade with frosty beverages, but it's no fun being trapped on the highway or working outdoors.

Spouse is a meteorologist so I can speak with authority on the physics.* Hawaii's tradewinds come from a high-pressure ridge that sits a couple hundred miles to the northeast for almost the entire year.* When that ridge shears away (violent North Pacific storm, change to the upper-level jet stream, some other disturbance) then the trades die and things go kona.* It's especially dangerous in September because of hurricane season... the trades push the hurricanes down into the tropics and storms pass south of the islands.* If the mid-Pac ridge goes away when a hurricane is south of the islands, it's all too easy for the eye to go extra-tropical and recurve right into an island.* That's what happened to Kauai on 11 Sep 92 courtesy of Hurricane Iniki.

The Navy used to have a requirement that I only go to New London CT during winter.* I also wintered over in Ballston Spa NY and will never go there again.* But the worst weather I've ever seen was Adak AK in January.* Horizontal snow (70 kt winds) is painful... until frostbite numbs the impact points.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Laurence,

DW and I just returned from a visit to your fair
city.
Appreciate your info regarding the area from a previous
post, lodging info,etc.
We did visit the Del Coronado for an afternoon, had a nice
time touring the hotel, and enjoyed walking the beach area.
Clearly would be a great place to hang your hat for a few days.
Also took a 2 hour harbor tour, which was most enjoyable,
a nice history lesson for the area, followed by a nice meal at
"Joe's Crab Shack" behind the convention center.
Skipped most of the big tourist draws, as we had done
them before, but enjoyed a sunset , and meal in LaJolla.
We tried to stay off the freeways as much as possible.
Unbelievable how bad the route from LA to SD is..makes
Seattle look like a piece of cake!

gwix
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:20 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Unfortunatly San Diego is paradise lost. Lived here all my life and was a great place 20 or 30 years ago, but now cost of living too high, too many people ( most of them a hol--s and idiots) , too much regulation, trying to get a building permit or dealing with DMV is a nightmare, and State and Local goverment insolvent, meaning taxes are bound to double from where they are now in the not to distant future, State is run by teachers union with gestapo tactics. More people speaking spanish than english. I'm fed up. Weather is not worth diminised quality of life. I can afford air conditioning
jimhcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:58 AM   #38

Way back in 1992, I visited some friends out in Barstow, CA, during the summer. Even though it got really hot out there, well over 100 during the day and even after the sun set it would still stick around in the 90's for awhile, it just didn't feel that bad, because it was such a dry heat.

My friends out there didn't even have a true central air conditioner. They had some thing called a "swamp cooler". Not sure exactly how it works, but I think it cools down the air by passing it through water. Tapwater is only like 55 degrees when it comes out of the faucet. Their house seemed comfy to me.

Now I don't know if I'd want to live in Barstow, because it seemed like you'd run out of things to do after awhile in a town with only 30,000 people, and not another major town for a good 30 miles or more. But I wouldn't let the heat get to me. Honestly, here in Maryland, on a humid day in the summer, it would start feeling worse once you got into the mid 80's!

I remember riding around with one of my friends in a little Opel GT convertible (looked like a poor man's Corvette) with the top down, and I swear, once that sun dipped below the horizon and everything was cast in shadow, it actually got chilly! Yet the signs on the bank buildings and such were still registering in the 90's!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom
Unfortunatly San Diego is paradise lost. Lived here all my life and was a great place 20 or 30 years ago, but now cost of living too high, too many people ( most of them a hol--s and idiots) , too much regulation, trying to get a building permit or dealing with DMV is a nightmare, and State and Local goverment insolvent, meaning taxes are bound to double from where they are now in the not to distant future, State is run by teachers union with gestapo tactics. More people speaking spanish than english. I'm fed up. Weather is not worth diminised quality of life. I can afford air conditioning
I can't argue with your reasoning, the magical days are gone. My parents first lived in Oceanside (Northernmost city in San Diego county, for those of you not familiar) 4 blocks from the beach, then moved to Carlsbad (one town south) when they rose up from dirt poor to just poor. It makes me sad to know my kids will never get to experience things like walking back from the beach with your boogie board to shower off under the back yard showerhead. Now it's upper middle class enclaves or working class barrios. Every place within a mile of the beach is over a million dollars (we just toured condos in Carlsbad next to the train tracks for 1.2 million).

Still, on a clear day I can see the ocean from my house, a breeze kicks in by 4 pm, you can picnic and BBQ all year round, so much to do every weekend....I understand why people leave, and I understand why they stay.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #40

Quote:
* Every place within a mile of the beach is over a million dollars (we just toured condos in Carlsbad next to the train tracks for 1.2 million).

Still, on a clear day I can see the ocean from my house, a breeze kicks in by 4 pm, you can picnic and BBQ all year round, so much to do every weekend....I understand why people leave, and I understand why they stay.
This ain't braggin' Just facts.

From our condo balcony, you can see the biggest lake in Texas every day.
Very little humidity. Almost no bugs. We can picnic, BBQ, fish, boat and
use the pool all year round. First class hotel/restaurants, excellent golf course, and
world class marina within walking distance. I paid WAY under 100K.
Not only that, but since we only use it a couple months each winter,
the rent still gives us positive cash flow. So, we own and use it for free,
while it continues to appreciate. A true no-brainer. Oh my God.......
here I go promoting Texas again. My apologies to all Texans on this
site. I love Texas so much I just can't help myself, so please......cut me some slack

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote