Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
The blind spot indicator was nice, but I really don't miss it on my current car.
The blind spot can be virtually eliminated by a simple adjustment of the outside mirrors, yet few people seem to be aware of how to do so. I've been setting my mirrors like this for decades:

Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For most cars, you can adjust the outside mirrors to eliminate the blind spots. It takes some getting used to but it does work.
How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Guess I'll keep on buying older vehicles.

I can't stand TPMS or traction control as it is.

I do like ABS and air bags tho.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

I do like ABS and air bags tho.
I am a pretty big fan of traction control. The Infiniti is rear wheel drive, so when I am pulling out and HAVE TO GO, without, I would be screeching tires. With the TC, the car accelerates much better than I could ever manage to.

The TPMS is OK, but on my DW's Highlander, it is a PAIN since the spare tire is also on the system. So, when the light triggers, I have to spend 45 minutes lowering the tire to air it up. Huge pain in my arse.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
(land departure warning etc)

If my car departs Land I sure hope it would give me a warning
I believe most of them do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car.JPG (59.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

All the new whiz bang features are nice, but I'm not willing to pay the (considerable IME) premium to have most of them. There was a tech package for the car, but I didn't opt for it, big upcharge.

I have a backup camera on my Prius, but I almost never look at it. Maybe when I get so old I can't turn around and look, backup cameras will hold more appeal.

That said, many of these features are obviously precursors to autonomous (and shared vs owned) cars. We ARE hoping/counting on autonomous cars being perfected before we get so old the state takes away our licenses.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We ARE hoping/counting on autonomous cars being perfected before we get so old the state takes away our licenses.
I'm kind of hoping for that too. There will inevitably come a day when DW or somebody is going to take away my driver's license. Otherwise I'll be relegated to a golf cart.

Our 2013 Honda doesn't have many of the bells 'n whistles, just the backup camera, and we do find that useful.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #28

I think these new features are really cool. I love they are available for people to buy.

I am against the government making anything mandatory that a driver should be able to provide by practicing due diligence in their driving. Mandatory airbags? Great! That's something I can't provide as a driver. Mandatory adaptive cruise control? Not a fan. I can do that myself, and shouldn't be forced to pay for it. IMO most of these devices are to cover for distracted drivers-people that aren't practicing due diligence.

I think the best, most economical, and well proven safety device should be considered if the gov't does decide to mandate more safety features: a cellphone jammer.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I think the best, most economical, and well proven safety device should be considered if the gov't does decide to mandate more safety features: a cellphone jammer.
The problem with a cell phone jammer is that it would punish the passengers.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

Not sure why TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would bother anyone but to each his own. Traction control on the other hand can often be turned off in many vehicles. Look to see if your car has the option to disable it. All mine do, although I rarely turn it off unless I feel like smelling burning rubber.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
The problem with a cell phone jammer is that it would punish the passengers.
True-if you want to consider added safety a punishment. Seems a small price to pay when gov't mandate is being considered for far less effective and more expensive safety devices.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
True-if you want to consider added safety a punishment. Seems a small price to pay when gov't mandate is being considered for far less effective and more expensive safety devices.
I don't see how denying a passenger cell phone use will improve safety. Also, IMO, we already have too many "small price to pay" rules and restrictions, most of which I don't want or need.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Not sure why TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would bother anyone but to each his own. Traction control on the other hand can often be turned off in many vehicles. Look to see if your car has the option to disable it. All mine do, although I rarely turn it off unless I feel like smelling burning rubber.
I run two sets of wheels and one set doesn't have TPMS sensors (and I'm too FRUGAL to pay for them)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hate messing with switches. I can't race my car with traction control on.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure why TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would bother anyone but to each his own.
Because those who don't want it still have to pay for it.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #36

Quote:
I don't see how denying a passenger cell phone use will improve safety. Also, IMO, we already have too many "small price to pay" rules and restrictions, most of which I don't want or need.
If the either the passengers driver or the oncoming cars driver can't use their cell, overall passenger safety is increased.

Your second sentence is right in line with my overall point. As I said: I think the best, most economical, and well proven safety device should be considered if the gov't does decide to mandate more safety features: a cellphone jammer.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure why TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would bother anyone but to each his own.
Because when the spare tire is stashed and difficult to get to, it's damn annoying when the light comes on (at a pressure that is NOT unsafe for the spare) and there is nothing you can do about it quickly.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Because those who don't want it still have to pay for it.
x1000!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Because when the spare tire is stashed and difficult to get to, it's damn annoying when the light comes on (at a pressure that is NOT unsafe for the spare) and there is nothing you can do about it quickly.
put electrical tape over the amber light
Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #40

After being t-boned at an intersection a couple of years ago by an idiot texting while driving I will not have a vehicle without side curtain air bags.