Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Picked up a new Acura MDX yesterday with Acura Watch. Drove it home (60 miles) using the Lane Keeping Assist,(LKA) and Adaptive Cruise control (ACC). That was the major reasons we bought this car.

WOW! The LKA worked like a dream. You can be off the wheel for about 45 seconds. When on the wheel, one hand and then a light touch. As long as lane marks are clear this thing works! ACC, not sure on this, as it was not really challenged. Had a car or two pull in front and the ACC reacted and put on the breaks. There are four levels/ distances settings. I have not figured out just which is best. I think it may change depending on traffic density. You can't ignore the road or surroundings, but it is more relaxing. I'll update after I get more experience with it, but for now well worth the cost.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #102

Welcome to the future!

> There are four levels/ distances settings. I have not figured out just which is best.

I find that the longer spacing is best when it's feasible. In heavier traffic I tighten it up because too many cars think my following distance is just right for them to cut in front of me. It's a losing battle at that point.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still a work in progress.
Quote:
To spot-check how systems are used in the real world, the IIHS observed 184 Honda Accords, CR-Vs, and Odysseys brought into dealerships in Maryland and Virginia. Of the inspected vehicles equipped with the feature, only one third had lane-departure warning turned on. Unlike some other systems, once lane-departure is disabled in Honda vehicles, it stays off—making such a study feasible.
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-s...for-most-owne/
Old 05-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Had a car or two pull in front and the ACC reacted and put on the breaks.
I hope it didn't break the brakes.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
In heavier traffic I tighten it up because too many cars think my following distance is just right for them to cut in front of me. It's a losing battle at that point.
I remember an old Johnny Carson joke: " The drivers here in LA! When I first drove on the freeway, whenever I followed a safe distance from the car in front of me, somebody would pull into it. Then I'd give that guy some room. And it happened again. Before I knew it, I was in reverse."
Old 05-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #106

Braumeister, I would concur with Lane Keeping Warning. Car I traded had it. We turned it off most of the time. When it was on it seemed to go off so often, we would ignore it. We live in a rural area with narrow roads. It would beep all the time. A little better on the freeways.

Lane Keeping Assist, is a whole different thing.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote