Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to everyone for the advice...

Needless to say, I'm still debating the pros & cons between Hawaii & California as an ultimate destination. I've been on Zillow & Trulia A-LOT.

Regarding the risks of finding an occupation in Hawaii... I never really intended to go back to work (other than volunteering, possibly). So, putting it quite simply, my only j*b will be to enjoy life (within a budget).

Presently, I'm still in the possession-purging mode which will be followed by the home-prep stage... getting things ready for a sale. In the meantime, I hope to be taking some scouting trips.

Ironically, I don't surf (though I'm keen on learning)... and not a huge fan of swimming around in the ocean. So the water temp may not be a huge factor. That said, I could sit and watch the ocean for hours at a time. Ideally, I'd like a home with an elevated view of the water, close enough to visit easily with the dogs, but not right on the beach. (My brother had a house on the beach in California and I saw first hand how the salt air can add to home/car maintenance.)

Thanks for your offer "SVHoper"... I just might be taking you up on that! A move to California is certainly more convenient when it comes to renting in one location while scouting for others up & down the Cali coast. I have to imagine it would be difficult to (for example) rent in Kauai and scout on Oahu, Maui, or the Kona Coast.

Keep the advice coming (it's much appreciated) & meanwhile I'll slowly but surely work my way through this transition.
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Hobbes View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice...

Needless to say, I'm still debating the pros & cons between Hawaii & California as an ultimate destination. I've been on Zillow & Trulia A-LOT.
These sources may be more helpful narrowing the options once you've chosen a city or region, but there is no substitute to living in an area for half a year to see how well it fits.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

I moved to Kauai about four years ago living in San Diego for about 35 years.

Here are some thoughts on what other posts have mentioned.

Rain: the annual rain totals are deceptive. The north shore gets about 200 inches a year, but a lot comes at night and it tends to come in big chunks where a storm brings 15" over a few days. It's also a warm rain and it's not like you get trapped by it for several days very often.

That said, we do get trapped for a day or two for any one of a number of reasons (usually weather related, but not always) a few times a year. Storm preparation, tsunami warning(s), flood closes the road, transformer blows so island has no power for 8 hours, traffic accident closes the road. Since I don't w*rk, most of these have been minor annoyances that involve a change of plans.

I call it an "ex-pat lite" experience living here. It's still the US, but it is NOT as simple as living on the mainland. It's a different culture here which definitely keeps things interesting, but it does require flexibility, a sense of humor and patience. And while making acquaintances is easy, lasting friendships are harder because of the transient population.
hs2inparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Suggest you read Darrow Kirkpatrick's blog stories on moving. Not a move to Cali or HI but, very useful for helping you plan.

Can I Retire Yet? - Save More - Invest Smarter - Retire Sooner
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Suggest you read Darrow Kirkpatrick's blog stories on moving...[/url]
Very interesting read - Thanks!

In forming a transition plan, experiences like these are very helpful. I appreciate the lead.
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote