Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BimmerBill,

What ever happened to the libertarian movement that came to NH? You know, they took over a town .... hope to convert the town ... then the state ... then the country ... then the world.

Just wondering.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #22

I was off this computer all day yesterday, and most pleased and shocked at all the comments. Some were hysterical, some provoked thought. Anyway, you all made me think about some things like the cold-cold (40 below rates a WTF!).
My son, the future politician and poly sci. major, looked up the politics in NH. It is really odd as some cities/towns are Republican, some Democrat. Lots of Libertarians now, I think, from what I read. They still are very active and more are moving in according to recent news. Guess you can be anything there.
One thing you really need to do if you care at all about your tax rates is get involved in local politics as each city/town appears to set many of their own tax rates! This REALLY appeals to me after living in overly organized and (Outfit/Mafia-run/Daley-run) Chicago where the average citizen had little say despite the polls.
I had made a decision that the next place I move to I would definitely get involved in local politics. I was politically involved in Independent politics before in Chicago when I was in my 20's, and never had the time after that. It's fun, it's educational and you have a group of like-minded people working for the same goals.
The cost has me concerned as I know utilities are higher, and I cannot do without heat in winter unless I want to freeze my patootie off. This is a small concern for me, tho, as to just how high are the utility bills for a 1 or 2 bedroom condo (which is what I want really)?
By moving to an area where there is a train that will take you straight into Boston, which does have superb public transportation, like Durham, Dover or Exeter, you can keep your housing costs down.
So now I am down to the negative issues for me: the cold and how much cold can I take in Winter? And the high cost of utilities and food there. Is it too high a price?
It seems as even NH is getting many over 55+ housing, but much of it is manufactured homes. I assume this is because of the high housing cost there?
And, yes, I plan to visit there after my work eldercaring is thru. That only makes sense, but the preliminary work can be done from where I am in Illinois now--where it is 47 degrees in the day now!
By the way, the closer you live to Boston, the warmer it is there. The areas I am looking at are the southern end of NH, which never seems to get the very cold temps like the northern part of NH.
The people in NH DO seem very warm and friendly. But there seems to be a thang between then and Bostonians (well, they call them "Massholes," anyway, which I doubt is a term of endearment).
Personally, I am pro right to carry a concealed weapon person; however, in Illinois where I am now they will NEVER approve it (along with Wisconsin, the only other State). So, if Mr. Burglar breaks into my house and I have no approval then guess who goes to jail? Illinois surely isn't Texas when it comes to guns and one of the main reasons I would never stay in Illinois now (plus, all the taxing in Chicago, which appears might go even higher!). In Texas you have to take a course, pass the written exam and the actual shooting exam (you have to know how to hit the target, anyway) before you can become licensed; and, of course, have a clean criminal record, too. They just don't hand anyone a permit in Texas despite what outsiders may think.

Any information that anyone has on New Hampshire is so welcome and appreciated. I can get only so much from the computer.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #23

We're in southern NH. Electric for a 3500 sq ft house runs ~$85/mo. Heat ~2k/year and we burn alot of wood thermastat never above 65. There's really only 2-3 weeks of bitter cold ... usually around late January or early February (stay in the house "cold"). More "normal" winter temps are 30's or mid 20's (very workable ... ski, snow shoe, skate, ice fish, snowmobile ...).

As far the right to carry ... the state took things a step further last year. They approved the right the shoot first. No need to see a weapon ... if you feel threatened: BANG!

Here's a link to the libertarian movement:

Libertarian group chooses NH [ Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime ]
Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #24

Let me see if I can quote what my son read about Texas changing the law without screwing it up: If you see anyone on or about your property--and you feel intent to do you harm--you can shoot. Can anyone correct me on this? Anyway, seems pretty darn close to what Texas has changed their law to.
When I talk to my friends I swim with who are mostly born/lived only in Illinois, they seem to think that if you allow guns then everyone will be shooting each other. Isn't so, but Daley has scared the populace in Illinois so much about guns that they will never approve the right to carry.
They will be afraid of guns UNTIL they get robbed in their homes (like I was). Amazing how fast that fear goes away when some scumsucker walks away with all your diamonds and other goodies.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #25

Try visiting in winter

I have a friend who lives in Maine (not far from NH). When visiting there this year, I said it would be a nice place to retire to. He advised that I spend a winter there before making any decision. He said if you can stand the winters there, then it's a great place to live. If not, then the six months of winter are unbearable.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dont listen to Tryan. That "three weeks of cold weather" gag is a long running New England trick. Once you move there, sometime around mid december after you've had an engine block heater installed on your car and your roof has partially collapsed from frozen snow pack, everyone in the neighborhood sneaks up to your front door at 2am, rings the bell, and when you open the door and your first breath of outside air freezes all the hair in your nostrils, everyone laughs.

Then its up to you to trick someone else to move there. You're "it".

Misc2
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #27

Good one, cute fuzzy bunny, good Misc2 joke!
Cars rusting in NH has been on my mind. I know the ice they throw on snow rusts them as I had a car rust out on bottom in Chicago (first car and you learn).
But does the sea air in the southern NH towns cause rusting of your car, also?
I have heard it is impossible to keep silver from tarnishing in Florida because of the saltwater if you live near a beach from friends who moved there, so it makes sense it might also happen in Southern NH. But I don't know?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #28

CFB, that's a keeper. Wish we had more winters like that one!

Took a bath renting the lake house last winter because: it rained the entire week between Christmas and New Years; rained MLK holiday weekend. Finally got some "white stuff" in February. Was able to ski into April. Another warm winter - like last year - and I am moving to Canada.

Yeah, most towns salt the roads. But I still get 10+ years out of my vehicles.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

AHA! Tryan is actually a Canadian posing as a New Hampshirite so he can upsell you to Montreal!!!

Thats the nice part about living in california. Seeing lots of cars from the 60's and 70's still intact. The bad part is some of them are Matadors, Pinto's and Vegas.

There is a bit of corrosion factor if you live very close to the shore and enjoy freezing monsoon-like offshore breezes direct salt air. Not as bad as having your tires shoot solid rock salt up into your wheel wells, but there is some. Trombone-Al probably gets a bit of this where he lives. Not sure if you'd get close enough to the waterfront in NH to get this. You'd have to park front-in, there isnt enough seashore to parallel park. Plus the prevailing winds are usually from the west and northwest, not east from the ocean.

Hey, for all you current new englanders...do they still have that incredibly annoying guy on the bank commercials pitching you the ATM cards that says "And when I go down to the cape...its my cape cahhhd"? :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #30

In Houston my electric bill for heat/air conditioning ran something like $150 in the dead of winter and dead of summer heat. But mine was low, low, low. My friends' had homes that ran $300-400-500 each month during the dead of winter and dead of summer (I had a bungalow, they had ranch or two story homes). Seems to me that the bill for heating and air conditioning would be about the same then: $2,000 a year as New Hampshire's bill that Tryan has seen.
Now I just have to figure out how to prevent salt from ruining my car. I wash my car with one of those underside style car washes ($10-14 here in Illinois to have it done) and watch for rust.
Is rustproofing worth purchasing then for your car? Anyone have any experience with this? I purchased my 2002 Solara new, and think it came on it supposedly.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #31

Used to live just over the border from NH. I'd suggest you need to live there a year to really understand the place and the six seasons:

winter
DEEP DEEP WINTER
still winter
mud
summer (sometimes short hot and muggy)
pretty leaves

I enjoyed my time there and did fine in the climate, but not everyone does.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Used to live just over the border from NH. I'd suggest you need to live there a year to really understand the place and the six seasons:
I live a stones throw from the NH border, growing_older pretty much has the seasons correct although mud (spring) can be pretty and sometimes warm. I agree, live here a year, experience all 4 seasons. If you're thinking about the coast or the mountains, in summer you have to deal with hordes of tourists, green heads (biting flies) at the seashore, black flies in the spring in the mountains and mosquitos in both locations from spring until fall. Oh and don't forget ticks carrying the dreaded Lyme disease.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #33

Hmmm...not very enticing info. But thanks!
NH has so much of what I want (antiques, history, low taxes, etc. etc.), but there ARE some definite negatives there. Just how much of the negatives can I endure? Good question.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Costliest places to heat your home - Improve & Repair - MSN Real Estate
Old 11-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #35

I sat down and printed out the year around temps between Chicago (where I have lived over 15 years) and Boston. Boston is warmer overall in winter (Chicago is in summer); hence, more rain and more snow. But, in reality, not THAT far apart weatherwise.
Now I see why New Englanders buy those godawful LL Bean duck boots that are oh! so clunky looking!
Moemg, after looking at the study you post about heating costs, I gather much of the New England uses their fireplace for wood heat...cool!
Old 11-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #36

Climate is distinctive if you've never been there. But climate isn't the whole story. Lots of the area is still quaint, lovely spaces and there is a deep sense of history that's very enjoyable. Depending on exactly where you are there's a nice "town" feel to many places and good access to both seashore and mountains.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you can handle the winters in chicago, you can swing NH. A bit colder (more humid so it feels colder), but less biting. Definately do some extensive visiting during all of the seasons.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I miss the quaint "skkkkk skkkkk skkkk" sound my american express card made when trying to get the ice off my windshield after a days work, and the charming curses I uttered because I'd left my ice scraper leaning against the side of my house that morning.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I miss that sound my engine would make in an attempt to start .I also miss driving on ice .What a challenge and most of all I miss when the power lines were down and it was 6 degrees and don't forget digging out after the plows have well you know !
Old 11-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Aaa....RUH...RUH.....RUH.......rruh....rrr...rr..r ...clickaclickaclicka...