Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gee whiz guys, you're bumming me out, I'm at the beginning of an Anchorage winter!

If you're looking for single men, here's the place. But you know the saying, "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You guys sound just like my experiences in Chicago's snow. I remember having to get out of the Vega (dates me, huh?), coming home from a fancy dinner so I had a long dress on with heels and the whole bit, and having to rock the freaking car back and forth--with it running--to get out of a snow drift in the street...lots of fun..uh, huh... This is when I wish I had asked some guy to be my date, but didn't.
Houston is so humid that when it is 32 degrees it turns biting down-to-the-bone chilling and icy cold! 32 degrees and below is a living hell there. 32 degrees in Illinois is comfortable sweater weather if you are just running to and from the car. So, I get what you mean by the humidity affecting the cold.
I know I will only live in a city environ in NH, anyway. I just cannot see myself getting stuck too much in the snow there. Maybe in a city with a train to Boston like Exeter, Dover or Durham. I plan on making it so easy on myself as I can there.

By the way, where do all the Alaskan men go after 50-55 years of age? There seem to be all gone by then. I noticed as my son is thinking of possibly going there. I told him I couldn't as I would have no friends it appeared there my age.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
By the way, where do all the Alaskan men go after 50-55 years of age? There seem to be all gone by then.
Soylent green.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #44

Orchidflower wrote: "By the way, where do all the Alaskan men go after 50-55 years of age? There seem to be all gone by then. I noticed as my son is thinking of possibly going there. I told him I couldn't as I would have no friends it appeared there my age."

Well, my DH of about that age wants us to move to Hawaii but I'm dragging my feet. However, there are lots of us boomers still hanging out up here, both sexes (as I constantly remind him).
I just checked the US census for 2006. In New Hampshire, the percent of total population that are males 50-54 is 3.8%, whereas for Alaska it's 4%. That doesn't take into account marital status. I'll let you crunch more numbers.
Age and Sex for States and for Puerto Rico: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2006
Truth be told, there is some migration south, some permanent, some snowbirds, as people age, it's true, but not ALL men leave. I notice that my joints are a little creakier each winter, and DH may just prevail if we can do it and manage to remain ERed. I'd rather be a snowbird than move permanently. I love it here.
One caveat - most doctors here do not accept new patients over age 65. Unless something changes we may have to move because of that.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #45

OH MY GOD!!! Doctors in Alaska do not accept new patients over 65!!!! YIKES!!!!!!!! They must have a tremendous shortage of physicians up there! Since I'm 63, guess I'm scr*wed!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #46

We have plenty of doctors here, just no HMOs. Doctors get away with charging very high prices compared to the lower 48. Doctors here claim they lose money with every Medicare patient.
The "free clinic" takes anybody but you don't get your choice of doctor. So DH and I are shopping for young internists who will take us now, so by the time we are 65, they will still be in practice and we won't be new patients.
I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I'm a newbie. Moderator, if I'm screwing up, please erase me and tell me what I'm supposed to do otherwise.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
By the way, where do all the Alaskan men go after 50-55 years of age? There seem to be all gone by then. I noticed as my son is thinking of possibly going there. I told him I couldn't as I would have no friends it appeared there my age.
Orchid, are you still in Chicago? If so, consider staying put. It is hard to build up social networks in new place, provided senior center centers are not your style. And overall, I believe bigger cities are better.

I went dancing last night with four women over 55, up to maybe 62 or so. They are nice people, trim, good dancers, but basically depend on other women for companionship. If you tastes are at all specialized, or if you like traits in men that many other women also find attractive you are in a very competitive situation. Their universal complaint and issue is that older men are lazy slobs that don't want to get off the couch and have fun. I am not commenting on the correctness of this view, just saying that it is common.

In fact, I know a number of women dancers 45+ who are married, but cannot get their husbands to make the effort to become competent dancers themselves, so they go out alone. This works for a while if the husband is confident and doesn't miss his wife on weekend nights. But eventually they find that no matter how expert they may be as dancers, men won't ask them to dance. So then it's back to the old high school situation of women dancing together, when for the most part they would prefer to dance with a man. In Argentine tango, a difficult dance skill and a very gender polarized dance scene, some aging women who really enjoy the dance invest the time and money to become leads, after their run as follows is over. As leads they can then ask other women to dance, and often choose for skill in the follow rather than youth and sex appeal. In some dance communities it is accepted that women can ask men. This is a lot better. Most people will still go home alone, but they have had a nice social and loving experience involving both sexes, so it is a success.

I donít know much about activities like Volksport. I would like to try this but it often is on weekend mornings and I have usually been out late the night before and I am too old to miss a lot of sleep. I participated in mountain hiking clubs when I was younger, so that may or may not be good for an older woman. It can be one heck of a workout, as often the men are in a race to see how far they can get. Mushrooming seems to be a good activity, it gets you outside in groups that include at least some single men and you are moving at a reasonable pace because you have to be able see the mushrooms. Same is likely true for birding, though I donít do that so I have no personal experience.

One thing I can say with confidence- unless you were to find some place with zero men, the statistics won't have much effect on you. It helps to be forward, very outgoing, and socially fearless. Anywhere where there are lots of singles, people will show up for potlucks, New Years Parties, football afternoons, etc. If you have space you are in a good place to hostess these events. I try to never miss any of these things, and I usually have a really good time.

Ha
Old 11-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #48

Thank you for all the thought and time you put into that post, haha! I appreciate it.
However, I would rather have a rectal exam on State Street than dance with another woman. That just sounds too pathetic for me somehow. I would figure out how to dance alone first. Or not dance at all.
Senior centers? Maybe in 20-25 years, but not now. Good God, man...that's for "old" people my mother's age (89).
Regardless, believe it or not they mushroom where I am alot as it is very woodsey here. I have been thinking that sounds like fun and my type of thing. Hiking I love. Birding I would like to get into for fun.
No, I lived in Chicago for 14 years then moved for 22 to Houston and back to Chicago for one year before my aging parent had a stroke; so, here I am in a medium sized area in Illinois, but NOT Chicago, which is about 3 hours away.
When I left Houston I lost so many relationships because I worked all the time. And I mean all the time. Wasn't in Chicago long enough to form any new ones of lasting value (only one year) and have been busy here; so, wherever I land, I WILL be starting from the get-go all over again. No relatives except my son, and Lord only knows where he will end up with his law degree.
Am I outgoing? Does a bear poop in the woods? After over 30 years in sales management, you can only guess how forward I am. I curb it sometimes to appear demure..ha!
Yes, I swim with some old geezers of 65 and up at the pool that are men. Some are active and bitch about their wives holding them back from socializing, and some of the men are just plain old fuddie-duddies who hate computers and anything that isn't of the black and white genre at the movies. Fun to talk with, but I sure would hate to be stuck with one.
Your post is about so good an argument as an older gal can find for FINDING YOUNGER MEN! Well, if I am doomed to suffer with that situation as an older woman...so be it (hee hee hee!). I will try and take one for the team of senior gals out there and sacrifice myself. I'm so selfless (ha!).
And you are so right, haha, that the situation of finding male company of similar age over 60 is hard for women and very "competitive." One of the reasons an old gal needs to do the demographics and find a spot loaded with old guys over 60 (which leaves out Alaska--not that I would live there).