Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

New Hampshire: any opinions?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Hampshire: any opinions?

I've been burning the midnight oil checking out New Hampshire--the Seacoast area specifically--as a place to move to. Granted, I have never even visited there, but I do like the demographics of older boomers, a lack of an overabundance of senior ladies vs. men (which ruled out Florida as it seemed to be 10 older women to 1 lonely old man), educational level and general fiscal health. Plus, everyone seems so very friendly in that State from what I can gather. And the libertarian leanings I like.
The closeness to Boston for cultural events and shopping I, also, see as a big plus as I loves me some symphony, opera and so forth.
And being near major cities, so I might study finance/the market better excites me. Where I am now the only thing I can do is attend a college course on personal investing (did it). I would love more access to studying the market, and, I am figuring, the NE coast is it even if I travel to NYC (close to NH).
Does anyone have any opinion on the Seacoast area of New Hampshire like Portsmouth, Durham, Hampton, etc. etc.?
Is this area waaaay too pricey for retiring in? I've looked at the numbers and they don't seem too out of kilter, but am I fooling myself?
I do want to start some small business there, but, who knows? I just might retire totally after I get there, so I have to consider all monies that go out.
With the beach close by and the mountains less than an hour away, various wonderful resort areas close by...and all those great NE cities (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia to DC) to antique and junk in...well, it has me swayed that way.
Any opinions on really living there and the costs incurred?
Know of any negatives I might not have considered yet?
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Know of any negatives I might not have considered yet?
Presidential politics?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

6 months of winter
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #4

Be careful not be buy too close to water ... property taxes are cost prohibitive. Portsmouth would be my pick (if we moved). Hampton is a bit cheesey in the summer. Durham is a college town (if I remember). If you have big $$ look at Rye.

Either way, can't beat being an hour from skiing and the ocean.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Isn't their state motto Live Free or Die? I kind of like that. I think they are the only state that has a right to concealed handgun carry, no license or permit needed. Also one of the lower crime rates.

Lots of people from Massachusetts move there and commute across the border to their jobs.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I think you really need to visit a place before you decide .A lot of places look good on paper but you wouldn't want to live there . I love New England especially Boston but it is expensive plus as Martha brought up it's extremely liberal maybe too liberal for some people .Also people tend to hibernate in the winter so you may be alone a lot but go visit you may love it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never been to New Hampshire (I know, I know, THIS is the expert post you were looking for, right? ).

New Hampshire sounds beautiful, and the hiking and fishing have just got to be heavenly up there. Imagine how beautiful it is when the leaves turn! Wow!

From what I am told, people from Boston go up there a lot. If that is true, then it might be more urbane than one might first think. Would they bring yuppie attitudes with them? I have no idea but would be watchful unless that is what you are looking for.

You would really have to be comfortable with cold weather and snow, I would think. REALLY comfortable. Brrrrrrr.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:

REALLY comfortable. Brrrrrrr.
Well, the wood stove burns 2.5 - 3 cords/years ... another 2 at the lake. Yeah, we have a chain saw.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I keep forgetting about winter things until I visit my family in Pa. & N.Y. .You need coats and not wimpy ones and sweaters and turtlenecks ( which I like since my neck is getting a little saggy ) and sweaters and boots and gloves and hats and scarves and warm pants and flannel pajamas and slippers and a robe and ice scrapper and defroster and you need to start your car 30 minutes before you leave and that's if your car will start and snow shovels and mittens and snow blowers and fireplaces and someone needs to get up early and adjust the thermostat so you can save a few dollars on heat and lots of books because you may be traped inside and you are doing all this for a few extra single guys who probably winter in Florida ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Summer humidity, mosquitoes, very weathered 'mountains' (coming from a diehard Northwesterner).
Getting short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

After lots of years driving MidAtlantic to mid-Maine coast, the whole stretch between Boston and Portland now seems to be almost continuous suburb. There is now a daily commuter train between Portland and Boston. Portsmouth NH is an attractive small city, but I think I would look further inland in NH, as the summer beach crowds all along than MA, NH, southern ME coast can be fierce. Many, many retirement and 55+ communities springing up in ME. Seems to me that real estate is pretty expensive anywhere within 100 miles of Boston.
Also, check out sunset time in the winter - 4 pm or so - and spring does not come until late May.
cnb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
6 months of winter
Optimist.

I'd say "six weeks of summer". High property taxes but no income or sales taxes. Anything anywhere near the 20 feet of waterfront is swarmed, I say SWARMED with people in the warmer months (which is July 23-27th). Not a lot of high quality public services like snow removal and road maintenance, at least compared to neighboring states that exact an income and sales tax.

When you can get near the water in the summer, its about 50 degrees.

Unless you love snow and cool weather, it wouldnt be my choice. But then again I already ran away from that region 15 years ago...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

We spent two weeks in Bethel, Maine a couple of summers ago and traveled through New Hampshire and Vermont. The area is very beautiful. It would be a very nice place to live. We weren't there for the winter, but did take the Cog Railway to Mt. Washington, where it was very cold, even for July. The one thing I liked about those three states, is that they were a lot of trees. From a positive standpoint, the cold winters are probably keeping New Hampshire from getting uncomfortably overcrowded, like say Southern California. You have to pay a price in order to have elbow room.
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

On a mid august hike through the NH white mountains, I had to slog through 3' of snow in the bottom of a ravine. In shorts.

On a winter hike in january, I had to dig down about 15' to find the roof of the buried wood shelter, and enjoyed a couple of 40 below zero nights.

Good times...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #15

I am a lifelong resident of NH, and work in Portsmouth NH. Southern NH is becomming northern MA, with a ton of transplants moving up from MA. So, southern NH is becoming more liberal as a result.

Most of NH is pretty conservative, tho it actually voted democrat in the last presidential election.

It is one of the cheapest states to live in. Health care availability is pretty good, as is education level. Property taxes are high, but there are no sales or income taxes either.

Its hot as heck in the summer, cold as heck in the winter. Real estate is still very expensive, more so the closer you get to the coast. Not much of a public transit system. Lots of trees and winderness, especially norther NH with all its national parks. Also coastline, many big inland lakes, and easy access to mountains for skiing.

NH is a "shall issue" permit to carry state, so you have to apply and pay the small fee to get a permit to carry. VT is the state without a carry law.

Live free or Die is our state motto.

Durham is where UNH is located and is a small little town. Dover is nice too, and more affordable than Portsmouth. To get a real kick, check out New Castle or the areas around lake winipausaukie for super high real estate prices. Parts of Hampton are dumpy, like the downtown strip with all the arcades, fried dough stands (mmmmm!), etc.

Cost of living is higher up here tho. Housing, fuel, electricity, etc. I know it is quite a bit more expensive than SC where my mother used to live. Not as bad as CT where my brother lives (close to NYC).
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Kind of a wishy washy motto if you ask me. Leaves too much middle ground.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #17

Population: almost all of the population is in souther NH, probably from Concord NH down. The "North Country" is pretty sparsly populated. Lots of ski mobiling, skiiing, hunting, etc, up there.

Lots of subburbs in southern NH, where many live and commute into MA or Boston. Most have services like trash pickup, police/PD, good schools etc.

My town, which is small and 1 hour inland from Portsmouth, doesnt have trash pickup, has a volunteer FD, but full time PD. Hardly any crime, lots of wildlife, etc.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #18

Some folks were actually trying to change the motto, since they thought it was too over the top.

Motto came from Gen John Stark.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have lived in NH for the last 15 years (probably next door to Bimmer, from the sound of it). Very nice people. 4 seasons of activity, if you're into snow mobiling or skiing. More personal control of your tax liability.

I am tired of the winters and will likely move to a warmer region for my retirement.
ExtinctBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtinctBird View Post
probably next door to Bimmer
If you were four doors down, you'd be in Rhode Island...