Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Great stories Nords!

Omni, I am a female as well and constantly kid the guys about following directions. I think it's in their genes.

Braumeister, I've had 3 calls. a 4, then a 6 (which was my great uncle's call) and now back to a 4 which is a 1X3 as it suited my nickname.

I had never thought of ham radio as having any special kind of language until I started reading all the posts here, lol. Might have to have a dictionary to decode
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Picked up tennis again after not playing for nearly 20 yrs. Just so happen that my community has some really nice clay courts that I didn't even think about when I bought my condo here in FLA.....after about a year into retirement, posted my contact info on the bulletin board at the courts, then started playing again. Has been an excellent way to meet new people, stay in shape, etc. I even purchased a ball machine, so I always have a way to hit when I can't find a game. Only problem is finding a balance between the golf game and now tennis.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

Apologies for the long ramble, but I'm a bit of a proud father right now!

Very cool. Question on that last pic - I see the copper is the ground plane, but what exactly are the little squares used for connections? Are they simply a little copper on an insulated substrate (epoxy board, FR4?), glued to the ground plane to provide a junction point? Or are they also caps to provide by-pass?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Surfing!
Still waitin on that video!
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #85

In the spirit of the thread; a little restoration project on a Buzzards Bay 14 (Herreshoff) reproduction boat produced in Falmouth, MA. Some day when I'm too feeble to kiteboard I might actually take it out.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sail4.JPG (160.0 KB, 17 views)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I'm a landlubber but appreciate a nice looking sailboat.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Alan, thanks for the volunteer as moderator. Hope you like this hobby!
Yeah, Alan, Thanks. But be a moderate moderator when moderating
Old 07-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #88
gone traveling

It would seem that posting here is a hobby to many given your post counts. Makes me wonder how some of you have time for other interests, but what do I know, I'm still working, ugh.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

The XO looked around the control room and said "Can anybody read flashing light?" I had just gotten off watch and had plenty other things to do so I wasn't about to raise my hand. Luckily another enthusiastic submariner said "Sure, XO, I can do it!" He leaped onto the periscope, a sailor stood ready with his logbook & pen ready to record this vital tactical information, and our steely-eyed killer of the deep said: "Stand by to record: Dash! Dash! Dot! Dash! Dash! Uh, dot, no wait dash!"

After he'd been thrown off the conn, I was on the damn scope for over an hour.
In my working days, I was troubleshooting a problem over the phone with a telephone switch, working with a site tech that was very new to the business. He mentioned that there were some lights in the room that were blinking that might have something to do with the problem so I asked him to describe them, after a pause, "on, off, on, off", very helpful.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Yeah, Alan, Thanks. But be a moderate moderator when moderating
Vincente, I just about spewed my morning drink when reading this. Who says you are boring?

R
Old 07-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Vincente, I just about spewed my morning drink when reading this. Who says you are boring?

R
Most things proposed by my group of friends just eliciit a non-committal, polite silent response from me, at best.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Still waitin on that video!
Sorry, missed this one the first time through.

My daughter and I have been trying to do this for the last couple years, but when the surf is good then the last thing we want to do is be fiddling with camera buttons. And when the surf is really good then fiddling with camera buttons is downright dangerous.

I think during her three-week college break (starting tomorrow) I'm going to call the Surf Shooter photographer and see what they can do for us.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We've re-discovered an old hobby - hiking and hill walking. For the last 30 years we have had kids to bring up, limited vacation time and lived in S. Louisiana or SE Texas, so it was a long way to go to find hills.
Me too. I moved into NE Portland (Oregon) last January; I had lived about 40 miles west of the city before that. Now I am 1/2 hour away from the Columbia River Gorge. I've been hiking 3k - 5k ft. elevation gain hikes most weekends. It is getting me in excellent shape for multiday backpacking trips.

I really want to hit the hiking trails on Mt. Hood, but the blasted snow hasn't melted enough yet.

It feels really good to do a long, hard hike. And, this part of the country is so beautiful - the waterfalls, ocean beaches, mountains, rivers, lakes... I need more free time!!! At least I am not on call every other week like I had been for the last seven years.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
Same here. In fact, I'm currently looking for a new lightweight daypack. DH and I are taking longer day hikes, and I need a bigger pack for the 5-6 hour hikes.
I just bought an Osprey Exos backpack. They come in 3 different volume sizes. I got the medium (Exos 46) which is kind of big for a day pack, but it gives me room to carry liters of water (for conditioning), gym clothes, lunch and groceries (if I stop on the way home from work). I can also use it for a weekend backpacking trip. The Exos 34 would be a nice size day pack.

For multiday backpacking I just bought an ULA Circuit. Both packs weigh about 2 pounds. And, my new Tarptent Moment arrived today, ~ 2 pounds for a one person tent. Next will be an upgrade to my sleeping bag. I'm looking at either a Western Mountaineering or a Feathered Friends and aiming for a 2 pound 20 degree bag. Life is good!!!!!

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I just bought an Osprey Exos backpack.
+1 on Osprey; they make great packs. But Gregory and even REI have some terrific ones, so if anyone is looking at packs, I would strongly encourage them to do it in a 2-step process:
First, go through the specs online to make a list of models, weights, and capacities.
Second, and this is really important, go to a good store and try them on before buying one.

Quote:
Next will be an upgrade to my sleeping bag. I'm looking at either a Western Mountaineering or a Feathered Friends
I got a new Feathered Friends bag last year (a Kestrel), and it is just as awesome as I expected.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #96
Dryer sheet wannabe

Interesting thread. I'm working again after a brief furlough during which I had a hard time adapting to a full time free lifestyle. Now I am desperately trying to plan for the activities I would enjoy doing, and that will really do when retirement for good comes.
Tennis for sure, as I currently play as regularly as I can. As long as my legs let me, that is.
Ham yes, although I had packed my stuff 5 years ago when moved overseas. Now that I'm back I haven't opened the boxes except for some components to tinker around - yes, the smell of melting solder is exhilirating even the Rohs version.
I think no one mentioned playing a musical instrument. I bang the family room piano occasionally and I like to think that I will dedicate myself to improving my skills when I have time.
I'll keep an eye on this thread to check on more activities people are succesfully enjoying in retirement.
toreornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Having raced karts for 11 years as a kid (1957-68), 42 years later I picked this sport up again, just last year. Staying competitive with racers 1/2 my age (or more) is the biggest challenge.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-31-10 3 Hour Enduro 045a.jpg (467.2 KB, 100 views)
nafddur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Having raced karts for 11 years as a kid (1957-68), 42 years later I picked this sport up again, just last year. Staying competitive with racers 1/2 my age (or more) is the biggest challenge.
For me the biggest challenge would be getting back up out of the cart after the race. Bring in the derrick!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
For me the biggest challenge would be getting back up out of the cart after the race. Bring in the derrick!
Funny you mention that. I'm reasonably agile, so I wasn't too worried about the physical part of getting in and out of a kart, even in pit stops for driver changes where you have to move quickly. At 60 years old, however, I was more concerned about my general physical endurance. Though the arrive and drive karts aren't the 100+ mph machines `real' racing karts are, they still do 40-50 mph and take some muscle to get around a track at racing speeds. Before I started endurance racing, I knew how much sweat even the 3-5 minute sprint races produced. Doing 3, 15 minute stints in a 1 1/2 hour race (and even longer stints in the 3 hour races) had me a little worried. But once I got through my first race, I knew I was still physically able to do it. And sweating off 3-5 pounds every race is a pretty exhilarating workout!

I DID break a rib recently, however (the first broken bone I've ever had), and have since resorted to wearing a carbon fiber rib protector. Oh well - I guess age does make one more `brittle.'
nafddur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't enjoy walking for walking's sake, but give me something to look for and I'll walk for miles.

The ideal hobby for me is geocaching. There are nearly 1.5 million geocaches worldwide, ranging in difficulty from 1 to 5 and in all different terrains (also ranked 1 to 5 for difficulty). It's reasonably cheap (after you buy a hand-held GPS or download the App) and it's addictive.

I've found 92 - still trying to get my hundred. Wish I'd taken a photo of my legs after the last hunt..... they were literally BLACK with mosquitoes! Never did find that one, either. I'll go back in the Fall.

Nui