Join Early Retirement Today

New problem post retirement
Old 06-24-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

New problem post retirement

I am now 5 months into retirement and I had to buy a new watch today. Since leaving the workforce and not having the consistency of going into work I have lost track of what day of the week it is! Being asked about plans for "Friday" and me not being certain when Friday was led me to get a watch with a day and date function.

I would guess losing track of the day of week is pretty common.
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it is.

I retired in 2009, and just this month my ~20 year old Timex watch broke. Since other retirees say they do not wear a watch, I decided to try that.

I am gradually getting used to getting the time and/or date from clocks, my computer, or my iPhone. It's not easy after wearing a watch every day for 61 years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe I'll get to the point I can get out of bed and not put on a watch; but, that certainly isn't today!
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We found we had the same problem so I bought this watch, it tells the day in words and year, month, day. Plus it has a bunch of other features and was really cheap and is accurate.

I got it for less than $15, normally it's $30

http://media1.kohlsimg.com/is/image/...0&op_sharpen=1

I do have a smart phone, but the watch is easier to look at than finding my phone or pulling it out of my pocket.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I never set the day window on my watch. That is what a smart phone is for. I am so forgetful that i enter calendar alerts for everything. I had to do the same thing at work b
Old 06-25-2016, 05:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

When I w*rked I'd freak if I didn't have a watch on despite being on a computer all day long. Retired three years and I've never put a watch on. Only days I need to know are the weekend so I don't venture out. YMMV
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:30 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I had always been a 'watch guy'. Had some very nice and expensive watches ever since I was in high school. Hamilton's mostly, but also Omegas and Breitling ...never the cliche Rolex!

The day I retired I just stopped wearing a watch. It was sort of my way of telling myself that I was 'a new me' and that my time was now on a different level.

I do still don my favorite on the few times I need to dress formally BUT THE BATTERY IS DEAD AND IT'S JUST FOR SHOW!!
Old 06-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haven't worn a watch in over 6 years. Just look at my smartphone when needed. If I need to know the day I just look at my 7 day pill container...
Old 06-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Haven't worn a watch in over 6 years. Just look at my smartphone when needed. If I need to know the day I just look at my 7 day pill container...
Same here except haven't worn a watch in eleven years.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I used to wear watches all the time, usually the inexpensive "sport" models with lap timers as I used to run a lot. Then I got a smart phone, lost my watch a week later, and never bothered to replace it as my phone does the trick.

Someone mentioned the calendar function...I also use that all the time to avoid missing things or double booking myself.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #11

I stopped wearing a watch in 1987. Wearing a watch just gave me one more reason to stress out ("oh NO ! the meeting is in 45 minutes and I haven't prepared" and then "EEK - I only have 40 minutes left before the meeting !!!"). I found that my stress level went down significantly and somehow I "knew" what time it was even without a watch.

Day of the week wasn't a problem. Pre-ER I always knew how many days it was until Friday.

Post ER I can still generally tell what time it is but I'll admit that "day of the week" eludes me unless I stop to really think about it. Most days I really don't care what day it is.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Same here except haven't worn a watch in eleven years.

I have never worn a watch my entire life... But for almost 5 decades I have learned someone nearby always does or their phone...If I had a dollar for every time over the years I have said, "What time is it?" .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

I kept wearing a watch post-retirement but then the band broke and I just put it on the nightstand. Eventually the battery died and I haven't bothered to get it fixed or a new battery. That was about three years ago. I just dig out the cell phone now.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #14

I've had that on my watch already for the last 30 years.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #15

I haven't worn a watch since I was 25. Question: if time is an issue, why don't you use your phone? I find myself using the time in the right-hand corner of the laptop when I'm on it or my phone.

Forgetting the day of the week is unrelated to time for me, but as I've posted elsewhere, I still use a day planner to (quite loosely!) schedule my days. I don't recall ever being bored in my life so the question of "what to do after retirement" is not something I envision ever encountering.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have always liked wearing a watch, but I only wear one now if I am going out. It has become more of a jewelry item than a timepiece, but I like always knowing the time.

My 65th birthday is in August, and I decided to purchase myself a sterling silver/14kt gold watch I have coveted for a long time. It's a David Yurman that I have been watching for on E-Bay, and was able to get the exact one I want at a good price. Pre-owned of course....would never spend the retail rate. It should arrive this week and I'm sure I'll not want to take it off for awhile.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

No watch. Only problem... tend to lose track of time in department stores, since none of them seem to have enough operating money to provide a clock for the public.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stopped wearing a watch shortly after I got my first smartphone. It was a few months after retiring that I forgot what day of the week it was, which then became forgetting what week of the month it was. The only thing that matters is remembering Tuesday night. We load the garbage can that night so it will be ready to take out Wednesday morning. If we didn't get it picked up first thing in the morning, we wouldn't even have to remember that. We'd just run out and put it out when we hear the truck rumbling down the street.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #19

Without my smartphone I would lose track of what day it is.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Without my smartphone I would lose track of what day it is.
Folks would think I suddenly developed dementia. Life would be significantly altered.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote