Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #21
Administrator

I have a couple of plasma TVs and absolutely love them. I have not had anything but plasma TVs since they first became popular. I set the colors on "vivid" and enjoy the more vivid, brighter than life picture. The blacks seem extra-black to me, too, and the picture is so pretty!

Next time I will probably go with something else, though, if plasma TVs are becoming obsolete. They are awfully expensive, so I don't see the point in paying extra if the other types of TV are satisfactory.

I saw the Ultra-HD at Best Buy a few days ago, and it was breathtaking. I would never pay extra for it, though, because it is just too much resolution for me to appreciate from more than 3 feet away...

Edited to add: Oh, and I'm not that much of a serious TV viewer these days if that helps to put these comments into context.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
At that time - manufacturers were eliminating a lot of the connection types available on their TVs (cost reductions). The LG plasma had the most audio/video input/output possibilities. I have it connected to a TIVO, DVD, VCR (yes, a VCR), and home theater system. Pays to always look at the back for connection offering. It gets costly to buy any type of adapter/converter.
+1000

The type of connections available are MUCH more important to me than whether the TV is plasma or not. That's something I didn't really research as much as I should have when I bought my TV's. I just assumed (wrongly) that a TV that expensive would have enough connections.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Got the new Samsung 51" plasma set up today in the family room. Sound is excellent! I may not be using my surround sound much anymore. The picture is much nicer than the old LG 42" LED, though I researched some settings I can change to get it even better. There are reflections, as I have big windows in this room, but they don't take anything away from the viewing experience.

On sale at Best Buy online for 549.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
Got the new Samsung 51" plasma set up today in the family room. Sound is excellent! I may not be using my surround sound much anymore. The picture is much nicer than the old LG 42" LED, though I researched some settings I can change to get it even better. There are reflections, as I have big windows in this room, but they don't take anything away from the viewing experience.

On sale at Best Buy online for 549.
Remember to "break in" your new TV. I don't have time to look for it now, but when I got my new TV some years ago, there was a site where you could download a series of images of solid colors that you could put on a flash drive you attach to the TV. A slideshow of the images then breaks in your TV panel. It took many hours to break in. See also, this website.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New TV

I just read Walmart is going to offer a one hour guarantee Vizio 65inch LED smart Tv for $648 Thanksgiving evening. Family get together isn't until Sunday, so looks like my 47in I just bought this year will be rotated to the bedroom. That is a really great deal for a mid level brand 65 in. tv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a couple of plasma TVs and absolutely love them. I have not had anything but plasma TVs since they first became popular. I set the colors on "vivid" and enjoy the more vivid, brighter than life picture. The blacks seem extra-black to me, too, and the picture is so pretty!

Next time I will probably go with something else, though, if plasma TVs are becoming obsolete. They are awfully expensive, so I don't see the point in paying extra if the other types of TV are satisfactory.
I'm also been a plasma TV person because of the black levels, I never cared for LCDs because of that. Plus they seemed to have a much more natural look for motion etc. like CRTs used to have.

The plasma replacement is supposed to be OLED, which has the best black levels you can get because the screen area is completely dark in true black areas due to the way the panel works. Unfortunately right now OLEDs are still crazy expensive but give it a couple of years and they'll be popular for those that want the best picture.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #27

New TV

I own a Panasonic plasma. Not even true high def by todays standards. It's now about 8 years old if not more. I watch football and action movies mostly, so its the best for that. Ditto for my kids xbox killing alein games. For football and action the plasma is still king, even if at a lower res rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #28

New TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1000

The type of connections available are MUCH more important to me than whether the TV is plasma or not. That's something I didn't really research as much as I should have when I bought my TV's. I just assumed (wrongly) that a TV that expensive would have enough connections.

My old plasma has one HD cable connection and two fiber optic. I have 4 of each now input plus multiple ethernet devices sharing one wall jack. How? Smart splitters and optical y connectors. No problems at all when done correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Plasma TVs don't do well at high altitude. I had a 58" Panasonic plasma at the old house (altitude - 12 feet). I loved it. It and the rest of the home theater stayed with the house. The new house is at 8700 feet. I will be putting in a home theater, but plasma won't be considered.

Hermit
Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #30

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma set and I love it.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #31

We're old school, I guess. Still have a 52 inch Mitsu DLP. It's about 7 yrs old now and we have to change out the bulb every 2 yrs. Not sure what we will do when the present bulb dies. I shudder to think what we paid for this thing but the picture is really good.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I shudder to think what we paid for this thing but the picture is really good.
You can always go with something new - and keep the shudder tradition alive...

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN105S9-Curved-105-Inch-Ultra

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You can always go with something new - and keep the shudder tradition alive...

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN105S9-Curved-105-Inch-Ultra
Wow. My house cost less than that tv.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Samsung 50" DLP set that's about eleven years old now, still with the original lamp.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have a Samsung 50" DLP set that's about eleven years old now, still with the original lamp.

That's amazing. We've had at least 4 bulbs in ours and we watch too much tv.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #36
gone traveling

Who knows what the technology will be when our 73" Mitsubishi DLP (10 years old on the 3rd bulb) finally bites the dust. At 8400' elevation though, plasma has never been an option here.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #37

We have plasmas that are getting older. Pioneer in the family room. I think it's a Samsung in my workshop. We're happy with them and we won't upgrade until these croak.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Plasma TVs don't do well at high altitude. I had a 58" Panasonic plasma at the old house (altitude - 12 feet). I loved it. It and the rest of the home theater stayed with the house. The new house is at 8700 feet. I will be putting in a home theater, but plasma won't be considered.

Hermit
I was aware of this "feature" of plasmas (I live at ~6000 feet), but took a chance on a Pioneer five years ago. Other than a slight buzzing (barely audible only if the sound is muted), I have been happy with the performance.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I had it for 5 years and was on my 3rd lamp before I retired it to masters bedroom. Every two years whe I changed the lamp, it was like getting a new TV.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
We're old school, I guess. Still have a 52 inch Mitsu DLP. It's about 7 yrs old now and we have to change out the bulb every 2 yrs. Not sure what we will do when the present bulb dies. I shudder to think what we paid for this thing but the picture is really good.
We have a 73" Mits DLP and love the picture. We are on 4th or 5th bulb. I am waiting for it to die and it just won't.

Will replace with Samsung UHD, all our mobile devices are Samsung.